Can you really HEAR the difference between an NAD T758 and the likes of the ONKYO 818 , Marantz 6007 or Yamaha 1020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-14-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking to upgrade my 2 year old Denon 1712... and after reading all these threads and it seems like an NAD T758 or even an ANTHEM MRX series are the bomb when it comes to sound reproduction. I am looking for the best quality of sound for for under for under $700, but would be willing to go a little higher if needed, especially if it makes sense or any difference over my Denon 1712 I have a dedicated 24 x 18 x 8 basement room. 50% Music and 50% Movies

I was looking at the $600 to $700 range and all these popular brands. Having said that, for a little more an NAD T758 can be purchased... Is the sound that much better? I was a Best Buy the other day demoing some of these receivers (not the ONKYO or the NAD) and I could hear a slight difference between the brands, but none of them had BAD sound. just different. I had them paired in Stereo along with a pair of B & W CM9 which were out of this world, but out of my range.

I cant demo the NAD locally, so I am just wondering if upgrading to an NAD T758 will sound THAT much better or a lot of this is just plain non sense......

I should mention that I just purchased a new set of Energy RC70 along with the matching center and I am breaking them in as I have 30 days to give them a chance....... My other set is a pair of KEFIQ70 with a matching center...I have 4 ceiling Energies speakers as surrounds. So far the biggest change in sound is really changing speakers as both of these brands have distinct differences. Just wondering if a NAD receiver will make it even noticeable better than a Denon 1712 or the ones I mentioned above..... I usually play my music in TWO CHANNELs
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-14-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Yes there is a difference. At least in my experience. I have owned or use 4 different receivers in the last 2 years upgrading each time  before finally trying out a new NAD receiver 3 weeks ago. I always preferred Yamaha receivers in the past.  Yamaha RX-V595A, RX-V471, RX-V671 and the latest being the RX-V820 Aventage. Then I went to a local Hi-Fi shop and played around with a NAD 758 connected to Golden Ears Triton sevens, Aon 3's and a Forcefield 5 sub. ( I think it was the 5 ) and instantly liked what I was hearing. I always liked the NAD receivers because they are clean and simple looking without a lot of bells and whistles. No air play, No internet, etc etc.  So I decided to buy one and give it a try in my home with my same set up I had with the Yamaha RX-V820. I had my eyes on the NAD T 758 but decided to give the NAD T 748v2 a try because it was $400.00 cheaper. Main difference between the 2 is power, 110 watts channel with 2 channels driven compared to 80 watts channel with 2 channels driven. The 748v2 uses NAD's speaker calibration, the 758 uses a very basic special version of Audyssey. The T 758 has the modular construction, the T 748v2 doesn't.  So far I am very impressed with the T 748v2. Has more then enough power (comparing to the Yamaha RX-V820 Aventage) which is rated at 110 watts a channel. I have a db meter and tested both receivers and I can reach higher levels with a much broader sound with the NAD. I ran both the YPAO and NAD's auto calibration to set my system up and surprisingly both calibration were very similar on speaker size, distances, levels and sub crossover point. I think where the main difference between the 2 brands of receivers is in the Listening modes selections. Yamaha has always had there signature sound that everyone talks about. NAD has a couple of there own. One called EAR'S. I really thought this sounded great thru out the room and house when playing DVD music or CD music. The other is called Enhanced Stereo which did a good job playing all 5 speakers at the same level. I also tested both receivers playing my PINK FLOYD / WISH YOU WERE HERE immersion box set DVD/CD set and LED ZEPPELIN - CELEBRATION DAY dvd DTS HD music and i was much happier with the NAD in how it performed. Don't get me wrong i liked how the Yamaha RX-V820 performed i just like the NAD better ! especially during music payback. My brother now has my Yamaha RX-V820 and it works awesome in his apartment with the Cambridge S30's and S50 center with a definitive Sub. Now i just have to figure out in the next 30 days is the NAD T 758 worth the $400.00 difference it cost over the NAD T748v2 or just keep the 748v2?

Living room; Samsung UN55F7100 3D LED, Marantz SR5008, Oppo BDP-103, Definitive Mytho 2's fronts, Definitive Pro Center 1000, Definitive Di 5.5R in ceilings, SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage; Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med oak speakers
post #3 of 19 Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post

Yes there is a difference. At least in my experience. I have owned or use 4 different receivers in the last 2 years upgrading each time  before finally trying out a new NAD receiver 3 weeks ago. I always preferred Yamaha receivers in the past.  Yamaha RX-V595A, RX-V471, RX-V671 and the latest being the RX-V820 Aventage. Then I went to a local Hi-Fi shop and played around with a NAD 758 connected to Golden Ears Triton sevens, Aon 3's and a Forcefield 5 sub. ( I think it was the 5 ) and instantly liked what I was hearing. I always liked the NAD receivers because they are clean and simple looking without a lot of bells and whistles. No air play, No internet, etc etc.  So I decided to buy one and give it a try in my home with my same set up I had with the Yamaha RX-V820. I had my eyes on the NAD T 758 but decided to give the NAD T 748v2 a try because it was $400.00 cheaper. Main difference between the 2 is power, 110 watts channel with 2 channels driven compared to 80 watts channel with 2 channels driven. The 748v2 uses NAD's speaker calibration, the 758 uses a very basic special version of Audyssey. The T 758 has the modular construction, the T 748v2 doesn't.  So far I am very impressed with the T 748v2. Has more then enough power (comparing to the Yamaha RX-V820 Aventage) which is rated at 110 watts a channel. I have a db meter and tested both receivers and I can reach higher levels with a much broader sound with the NAD. I ran both the YPAO and NAD's auto calibration to set my system up and surprisingly both calibration were very similar on speaker size, distances, levels and sub crossover point. I think where the main difference between the 2 brands of receivers is in the Listening modes selections. Yamaha has always had there signature sound that everyone talks about. NAD has a couple of there own. One called EAR'S. I really thought this sounded great thru out the room and house when playing DVD music or CD music. The other is called Enhanced Stereo which did a good job playing all 5 speakers at the same level. I also tested both receivers playing my PINK FLOYD / WISH YOU WERE HERE immersion box set DVD/CD set and LED ZEPPELIN - CELEBRATION DAY dvd DTS HD music and i was much happier with the NAD in how it performed. Don't get me wrong i liked how the Yamaha RX-V820 performed i just like the NAD better ! especially during music payback. My brother now has my Yamaha RX-V820 and it works awesome in his apartment with the Cambridge S30's and S50 center with a definitive Sub. Now i just have to figure out in the next 30 days is the NAD T 758 worth the $400.00 difference it cost over the NAD T748v2 or just keep the 748v2?

Excellent information.... Yes, the 748 is quite cheaper than the 758.. I was just wondering if the 80 watts was enough power to get it done... $400 is quite a difference for sure. Obviously you had to like the 748 than much more to give away the 820 to your brother.... My understanding is that the 820 is a nice mid range yamaha unit. What speakers are you using with your NAD? One of the problems with some of these very HIGH END stores is that they usually carry amazing and $$ speakers.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Probably already know the difference but below is a comparison between the two mentioned NAD's.Have no idea what you had to pay for the T748V2 but the prices below are excellent buys.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|745T748V2&compareItems=01|745T758&g=10420
post #5 of 19 Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharettaboomer View Post

Quote:

Excellent information.... Yes, the 748 is quite cheaper than the 758.. I was just wondering if the 80 watts was enough power to get it done... $400 is quite a difference for sure. Obviously you had to like the 748 than much more to give away the 820 to your brother.... My understanding is that the 820 is a nice mid range yamaha unit. What speakers are you using with your NAD? One of the problems with some of these very HIGH END stores is that they usually carry amazing and $$ speakers.

Right now I am using the Cambridge Audio Minx S325v2 5.1 system which is a Sub/Satellite system consisting of 5 Minx 21 BMR drivers with there X300 subwoofer. We also tested both receivers with my brothers Cambridge S30's bookshelfs on 31" stands, S50 center with my Cambridge X300 subwoofer with the crossover set at 80hz and the NAD just did an outstanding job at producing better sounding music in my opinion. I was kinda worried about the low 80 watts x 2 rating of the NAD T748v2 to but as you will read in these forums NAD receivers are conservative on there power ratings compared to other brand Receivers. Plus I am running a Subwoofer for my low frequencies so this helps the Receiver have plenty of power for the other speakers. Again comparing it to the Yamaha RX-A820 higher power rating it really wasn't an issue. I could be wrong but to me the NAD actually seemed to have more then the Yamaha. I wouldn't worry to much about the power rating difference between the T758 and T748v2 unless your speakers have very low sensitivity ratings. I am sure the experts on here can chine in on that subject.

Living room; Samsung UN55F7100 3D LED, Marantz SR5008, Oppo BDP-103, Definitive Mytho 2's fronts, Definitive Pro Center 1000, Definitive Di 5.5R in ceilings, SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage; Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med oak speakers
post #6 of 19 Old 03-19-2014, 04:33 PM

Liked: 18
Hey RK just wondering how you're liking your NAD 748v2??? I'm getting ready to pick one up for my Definitive home theater system...I'm running 2 PM1000's & a PC2000 all of which have an efficiency rating of 91db. From your excellent description above, I don't see myself needing anything more powerful like for instance the 758...Would love to hear what else you may have to say about your 748...

Thanks so much!
Carmine
post #7 of 19 Old 03-19-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post

Hey RK just wondering how you're liking your NAD 748v2??? I'm getting ready to pick one up for my Definitive home theater system...I'm running 2 PM1000's & a PC2000 all of which have an efficiency rating of 91db. From your excellent description above, I don't see myself needing anything more powerful like for instance the 758...Would love to hear what else you may have to say about your 748...

Thanks so much!
Carmine

Most of the $400 price difference is likely attributed to the 758 being modular. It has several modules available to add additional ports, such as Ethernet or a module to upgrade to Audyssey XT. They are probably fairly expensive but cheaper than getting a new AVR. I'm sure they'll have a HDMI 2.0 module once it becomes more common place.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #8 of 19 Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post

Thanks so much!
Carmine

Well, The short answer is I liked the NAD 748v2 a lot. But after owning it for 59 days I sent it back to Crutchfield because I was going to upgrade to the NAD 758 because of the 7.1 ch inputs and the Audyssey (even if it was only the basic) plus a few other reasons. In the mean time while waiting for the credit on the NAD 748v2 I went down to my favorite BB magnolia store to shop for a new TV. Well, I ended up walking out of there with a new TV plus the Marantz SR5008 AVR. It has 7.1 pre outs & 7.1 ch inputs plus Audyssey XT. I couldn't turn down the deal they gave me for buying both together! I have owned a HK-3490 receiver, 3 Yamaha AVR receivers including the RX-A820, NAD 748v2 and now the Marantz SR5008 in the last 2 years. Before I bought the Marantz SR5008 I kept reading how Audyssey XT or XT32 will make a difference! So I had to at least try it. Wow, did it ever!  I still can't believe what it did for my room set up and sound! Yes I enjoyed the NAD for music playback but I watch a lot of movies in 5.1 and live music concerts on Blu-Ray and this is where the Marantz SR5008 shines. My brother still owns my Yamaha RX-V820 and we are just in awe at what the difference the Marantz with the Audyssey XT did in my room set up compared to the Yamaha or NAD. I would really be curious as to what the NAD 758 with the board upgrade to Audyssey XT would be like?? If you like I can give you a run down on what I did and didn't like about the 748v2 after 59 days of use. By the way Crutchfield has a scratch & dent 748v2 for $509.00. it might very well be the one that I sent back. I can tell you it's like NEW no dings or scratches and boxed back up just like new. Worked perfectly. By the way I installed some Definitive Technology Di 5.5R in ceiling speakers last week for my surround speakers so I will be switching over to Def Tech Mythos Gem XL for my fronts and a PC1000 center. I really hate to get ride of my Cambridge Minx system as it has been an outstanding 5.1 system. I am hoping the Def Tech's do as well!

post #9 of 19 Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 AM

Liked: 23

Good thread!

Quote:

Crutchfield has a scratch & dent 748v2 for $509.00. it might very well be the one that I sent back. 

Yours is probably the "open box" unit for $539.99. 

Panasonic TCP55ST50

Panasonic DMP-BTD220

Pioneer Elite VSX-43

2X Bang & Olufsen Beovox S75

post #10 of 19 Old 03-21-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie52 View Post

Good thread!

Quote:

Crutchfield has a scratch & dent 748v2 for $509.00. it might very well be the one that I sent back.

Yours is probably the "open box" unit for $539.99.

Yes, your probably right. I didn't see that one listed but do now.

post #11 of 19 Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Well, The short answer is I liked the NAD 748v2 a lot. But after owning it for 59 days I sent it back to Crutchfield because I was going to upgrade to the NAD 758 because of the 7.1 ch inputs and the Audyssey (even if it was only the basic) plus a few other reasons. In the mean time while waiting for the credit on the NAD 748v2 I went down to my favorite BB magnolia store to shop for a new TV. Well, I ended up walking out of there with a new TV plus the Marantz SR5008 AVR. It has 7.1 pre outs & 7.1 ch inputs plus Audyssey XT. I couldn't turn down the deal they gave me for buying both together! I have owned a HK-3490 receiver, 3 Yamaha AVR receivers including the RX-A820, NAD 748v2 and now the Marantz SR5008 in the last 2 years. Before I bought the Marantz SR5008 I kept reading how Audyssey XT or XT32 will make a difference! So I had to at least try it. Wow, did it ever!  I still can't believe what it did for my room set up and sound! Yes I enjoyed the NAD for music playback but I watch a lot of movies in 5.1 and live music concerts on Blu-Ray and this is where the Marantz SR5008 shines. My brother still owns my Yamaha RX-V820 and we are just in awe at what the difference the Marantz with the Audyssey XT did in my room set up compared to the Yamaha or NAD. I would really be curious as to what the NAD 758 with the board upgrade to Audyssey XT would be like?? If you like I can give you a run down on what I did and didn't like about the 748v2 after 59 days of use. By the way Crutchfield has a scratch & dent 748v2 for $509.00. it might very well be the one that I sent back. I can tell you it's like NEW no dings or scratches and boxed back up just like new. Worked perfectly. By the way I installed some Definitive Technology Di 5.5R in ceiling speakers last week for my surround speakers so I will be switching over to Def Tech Mythos Gem XL for my fronts and a PC1000 center. I really hate to get ride of my Cambridge Minx system as it has been an outstanding 5.1 system. I am hoping the Def Tech's do as well!

Please let us know why you preferred the SR5008. In what ways did the Audyssey XT make a difference to your movie experience ? In what ways was the NAD T748 different from the SR5008 in movies and music ?

Thanks a ton.

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

Please let us know why you preferred the SR5008. In what ways did the Audyssey XT make a difference to your movie experience ? In what ways was the NAD T748 different from the SR5008 in movies and music ?

Thanks a ton.

I'm interested as well. I'm waiting to pick up a NAD 758, and never much cared for Marantz. Now this is the second review that mentions preferred results pairing the def-techs with Marantz instead of NAD.

post #13 of 19 Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 PM

The NAD 758 is an excellent receiver and you should like it a lot. I played with one at a Hi-Fi store with Golden Ear speakers and the system sounded awesome. The Yamaha RX-V 820, NAD T748v2 and Marantz SR5008 are all good receivers and each have there strong points. But for me the Marantz SR5008 is a clear step up for my room set up. I can contribute this all to the Audyssey XT that comes in the Marantz SR5008 since I used the same speakers, same room, same auto calibration procedures with all 3 receivers. There just isn't any comparison between the basic room calibration that the NAD T748 offers and the Audyssey XT. The Yamaha YPAO system is better then the NAD but still far behind the Audyssey XT. The Audyssey pretty much improved every aspect of my 5.1 surround sound set up for movie's. It was like i bought a whole new speaker system ( which i didn't). Low volume listening, high volume listening, dynamics, blending of the satellites with the subwoofer, center channel performance were all greatly improved with the Marantz receiver. It was just more enjoyable to watch a movie with the SR5008 then the other receivers. I think the biggest improvement was what the Audyssey XT did with my Subwoofer and bass output. It is much louder, more detailed, more pronounced, ( not so muddy or boomy ). You don't hear the subwoofer as often but when you do hear it, it sure makes it's presents much more then with the NAD or Yamaha receiver. As far as other features the Marantz OSD is easier to use, more detailed, easier to navigate thru and find what you are looking for. I enjoy using the Marantz receiver and changing settings because it's very user friendly. The remote control is really nice on the Marantz SR5008. You can find what you are looking for fast and can make changes with ease. The NAD remote control was a nightmare to use and was it's biggest downfall. I would definitely get a Logitech  remote if buying the NAD receiver. Don't know if the NAD 758 remote is the same as the T748v2?? Really I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 receivers. They all have there own sound signature. My brother still owns and uses my Yamaha RX-V820 in his apartment and loves it. Again what works for my room may be completely different then what works in your room or your speaker set up. Best thing to do is pick one try it out in your room set up and see what you think. That's the only way your going to know for sure if you like it.

post #14 of 19 Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 AM

Thank you for the reply. I have a pioneer, and the MCACC was disappointing. Only after disabling it, was I decently happy running my BP-8080's

post #15 of 19 Old 05-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The NAD 758 is an excellent receiver and you should like it a lot. I played with one at a Hi-Fi store with Golden Ear speakers and the system sounded awesome. The Yamaha RX-V 820, NAD T748v2 and Marantz SR5008 are all good receivers and each have there strong points. But for me the Marantz SR5008 is a clear step up for my room set up. I can contribute this all to the Audyssey XT that comes in the Marantz SR5008 since I used the same speakers, same room, same auto calibration procedures with all 3 receivers. There just isn't any comparison between the basic room calibration that the NAD T748 offers and the Audyssey XT. The Yamaha YPAO system is better then the NAD but still far behind the Audyssey XT. The Audyssey pretty much improved every aspect of my 5.1 surround sound set up for movie's. It was like i bought a whole new speaker system ( which i didn't). Low volume listening, high volume listening, dynamics, blending of the satellites with the subwoofer, center channel performance were all greatly improved with the Marantz receiver. It was just more enjoyable to watch a movie with the SR5008 then the other receivers. I think the biggest improvement was what the Audyssey XT did with my Subwoofer and bass output. It is much louder, more detailed, more pronounced, ( not so muddy or boomy ). You don't hear the subwoofer as often but when you do hear it, it sure makes it's presents much more then with the NAD or Yamaha receiver. As far as other features the Marantz OSD is easier to use, more detailed, easier to navigate thru and find what you are looking for. I enjoy using the Marantz receiver and changing settings because it's very user friendly. The remote control is really nice on the Marantz SR5008. You can find what you are looking for fast and can make changes with ease. The NAD remote control was a nightmare to use and was it's biggest downfall. I would definitely get a Logitech  remote if buying the NAD receiver. Don't know if the NAD 758 remote is the same as the T748v2?? Really I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 receivers. They all have there own sound signature. My brother still owns and uses my Yamaha RX-V820 in his apartment and loves it. Again what works for my room may be completely different then what works in your room or your speaker set up. Best thing to do is pick one try it out in your room set up and see what you think. That's the only way your going to know for sure if you like it.

thanks a lot for such a detailed reply but u missed mentioning one aspect of the comparison which I may ask....

1. How is the sound signature of the marantz different from the nad ?

2. The nad has an option to add a module which gives auddessy xt, albeit at additional cost. However If you could have the auddessy xt feature added in the nad and get all the associated benefits.... would you still prefer the marantz over the nad or vice versa and why ?

some of us don't have the option of being able to demo all different avrs and kits and have to depend on inputs from fellow helpful members like yourself.

Thanks pal. smile.gif

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 19 Old 05-29-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

There just isn't any comparison between the basic room calibration that the NAD T748 offers and the Audyssey XT. 

The same can be said comparing XT to XT32. XT made some nice subtle changes to my system, but XT32 made it sound like I had changed all of the equipment in my room. It has had the same result for many of my friends as well. Unfortunately, XT32 isn't available on the models you are discussing.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Quote:

There just isn't any comparison between the basic room calibration that the NAD T748 offers and the Audyssey XT. 

The same can be said comparing XT to XT32. XT made some nice subtle changes to my system, but XT32 made it sound like I had changed all of the equipment in my room. It has had the same result for many of my friends as well. Unfortunately, XT32 isn't available on the models you are discussing.

Yes I am sure Audyssey XT32 would improve the sound over XT, especially if a particular room needs room correction but you would have to step up to a higher price receiver to get it. I was looking at receivers at or below $1000.00. I think the NAD 758 and Marantz SR5008 is a good comparison with each other.

post #18 of 19 Old 05-29-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

Quote:

thanks a lot for such a detailed reply but u missed mentioning one aspect of the comparison which I may ask....

1. How is the sound signature of the marantz different from the nad ?

2. The nad has an option to add a module which gives auddessy xt, albeit at additional cost. However If you could have the auddessy xt feature added in the nad and get all the associated benefits.... would you still prefer the marantz over the nad or vice versa and why ?

some of us don't have the option of being able to demo all different avrs and kits and have to depend on inputs from fellow helpful members like yourself.

Thanks pal. smile.gif

I will answer in reverse order.

I understand what you are saying but actually you and everyone else does have the option to demo any of these receivers in your home for up to 60 days. Crutchfield's 60 day no questions asked return policy is just for that reason. A lot of other online companies do the same.  As you can see in post 8, I returned the NAD T748v2 after 59 days of use to Crutchfield with no problems. They make it easy for you. They want you to try it out in your home with your speaker set up. That is the only true way you are going to determine if you like the receiver or not. Even playing with one in a store won't do it for you.

2. If the NAD T758 was fitted with Auddessy XT like the Marantz SR5008....Then it would come down to price. I like both receivers and could easily be happy with either one of them. The only difference between the receivers would be the different Sound modes that each company uses for music playback. Movie playback should be the same on both receivers if both had Auddessy XT. both have all the latest Dolby Digital surround processing modes. The only other difference I see is the Marantz SR5008 is more user friendly because of the nicer layout on the remote and better OSD. The NAD receiver itself is cleaner looking and built like a tank compared to the Marantz.

1. The difference in Sound signature only comes into play when playing music in 5.1.( At least for me anyways ). That is because NAD and Marantz have there own Listening modes that they use. NAD receivers have what is called EARS mode and ENHANCED STEREO mode. Marantz has what is called VIRTUAL SPEAKER mode and MULTI CHANNEL STEREO mode. I used these when listening to music with a 5.1 channel speaker set up. I preferred the NAD listening modes over the Marantz SR5008. Would be hard to tell you the difference in writing .This is something you would need to hear for yourself to determine the difference. The separation of the music just sounded better with the NAD. Even different recordings or sources made a difference in what mode I chose to use but overall I preferred the EARS mode on the NAD. As for Dolby Digital, DTS or Dolby Pro Logic modes both receivers would sound pretty much the same as both have all the latest Dolby Digital surround processing modes. 

Both are very good receivers. I only preferred the Marantz because of the Auddessy XT and what it did for my system in my living room for movies. If I would had bought the NAD T758 with the Auddessy XT module installed I am sure I would be using that receiver right now because there would be no reason to try something else.

regards

SKY

post #19 of 19 Old 05-29-2014, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Can of worms potentially open.....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Denon Avr 1712 Receiver , Energy Rc 70 Floorstanding Speaker Black Ash Veneer
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page