Entry level to mid-range recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-15-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm in the process of exchanging my plasma set for a projector. Right now I use the speakers in the tv set so I figure this is the time to get a decent receiver and start delving into the audio ht world. Budget is limited so I'm looking into a simple receiver to use with the speakers I already have and later upgrade to real ht speakers. My main doubt is about power matching and what features are important.
The speakers I have are 30w @ 8ohms. It's my understanding that in order for things to work well the amp should be able to work with 8 ohms and have a power rating of more than 30w,is that correct? If so, it seems like pretty much any receiver will do.
As of now, the pioneer vsx 523 k seemed like a good option. The only drawback for me was not having and osd with hdmi. How important is the osd on av receivers in general?
One thing I just thought of is that I'd like to have the option to use both the projector and a TV in the future though that's not going to be the case right now (TV is going to the bedroom). For that, I'd need 2 hdmi outs, right? It seems like most of the entry level receivers only have 1 out. What are the brands I should be looking at? Also, what review sites can I trust?

Best regards,
Gustavo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 324
What's your budget? Dual HDMI outs are usually only included on the mid to higher level models. You could always use a switch.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 6 Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure what my budget is. I'd just like to spend as little as possible because as I have already spent a lot on the projector and screen. I'll also have to buy it in Brazil where everything is much more expensive. I'm thinking it'll probably be something between 250 and 450 msrp.
I hadn't thought of a switch. Makes sense. I'll research it a bit.
Thanks for the help.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
An OSD on the TV certainly makes life much easier, although with a networking model you can also use a laptop to log in to the AVR's URL and see the GUI that way as well. Your best bet to keep costs down would be to go with one of the 2012 models on clearance, or if you wait a few more months, the 2014 models will be released and the 2013 models will be on clearance. Consider the Denon 1613 which is Denon's lowest end model from 2012 that has Audyssey MultEQ for auto speaker/sub EQ as well as is a networking model and can pass the OSD to the TV over the HDMI connection.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 6 Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know. I'm thinking about the features I'd like to have and from what I've read, these are the ones that seem interesting to me (not in any order):
1 - At least 3 HDMI inputs but preferably 4.
2 - Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding.
3 - OSD over HDMI, but maybe a networking model might solve this issue. Is networking usually used for streaming content? If so, I don't really need that so I'd be happy without networking but with the OSD.
4 - 1080p 3D support.
5 - At least one RCA audio input and the ability to combine it with hdmi video (I have no idea if this is possible, it is on my current TV).
6 - I *think* I'd like Audyssey MultiEQ, since I know absolutely nothing about setting up a system. But I don't know enough about it to know if I want it or not.
7 - In reading the Onkyo TX-NR525 spec, it seems as though it's not controlled via IR but rather Onkyo's RI System Control. I have no idea what that is but I was hoping to use my Logitech Harmony to control the receiver, is it normal for receivers to not support IR? If so, that's a desired feature for me.

Thank you very much for the help so far!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
The Denon 1613 or newer E300 will meet all of those requirements.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page