Receiver for Paradigm Monitor 11 Series 7 Speakers ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2014, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Does anyone have a specific recommendation as to what receiver to pair with the Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 Speakers?

I am only using them as a stereo pair for the time being and do not need anything more than 5.1 in the future..

I was at a local store today and they highly recommended the Anthem MRX 310?

I have read some threads that the Anthem MRX 300 is a better value?

My main question is if either one of these receivers is "powerful" enough for me to get the full function of these new speakers that I am about to purchase?

I am not an audiophile and have very little experience when it comes to speakers, receivers etc.

Any info or opinions on regarding these Speakers or receivers will be much appreciated

~~Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Forget that Anthem. Bugs will likely crawl out of that thing till there is no tomorrow. My AVM 50 was a lost cause. Their amps are really good but anything else should be approached with caution.

I heard those speakers on Cambridge. It was a very good match. I would also consider NAD or Arcam. This depends mostly on your budget and whether you prefer clean/lean or smooth/warm. My recommendations lean towards smooth camp. If you want a something more analytical look at Rotel.

Consider making sure whatever you get has pre outs. If you want more power you can simply add amplifiers.

The Monitor 11, with a sensitivity of 93db in room, are going to play reasonably loud with minimal power. They are not hard to drive. Regardless, more power is always better.........

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3/NAD T163
IDMAX 12INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post

Forget that Anthem. Bugs will likely crawl out of that thing till there is no tomorrow. My AVM 50 was a lost cause. Their amps are really good but anything else should be approached with caution.

I heard those speakers on Cambridge. It was a very good match. I would also consider NAD or Arcam. This depends mostly on your budget and whether you prefer clean/lean or smooth/warm. My recommendations lean towards smooth camp. If you want a something more analytical look at Rotel.

Consider making sure whatever you get has pre outs. If you want more power you can simply add amplifiers.

The Monitor 11, with a sensitivity of 93db in room, are going to play reasonably loud with minimal power. They are not hard to drive. Regardless, more power is always better.........

Where are your posts in the Anthem owners thread? 

post #4 of 11 Old 01-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoun5 View Post

Where are your posts in the Anthem owners thread? 

Dig around, maybe you will find them. The posts translate into "Help me."
You see, I was an Anthem fan boy until I got my hands on one of those processors. Never again.
I still respect the amps. No problems there.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3/NAD T163
IDMAX 12INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3

post #5 of 11 Old 01-17-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Either of the two below sound very good with those Paradigm speakers. I have the Reference series Paradigms and with a NAD they sound fantastic. Depending on budget of these two my choice would be the T758. But the 748v2 will also drive those easily. Good luck and enjoy.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|745T748V2&compareItems=01|745T758&g=10420
post #6 of 11 Old 01-17-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Dig around, maybe you will find them. The posts translate into "Help me."
You see, I was an Anthem fan boy until I got my hands on one of those processors. Never again.
I still respect the amps. No problems there.

What was your member name?

post #7 of 11 Old 01-18-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoun5 View Post

What was your member name?

Sorry. I dont play into interrogations. Do a search for Anthem processor problems. Sort through the results. I dont believe I was alone in having problems with them.

post #8 of 11 Old 01-18-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
While the last Monitor Series speakers I owned was a decent bit of time ago, I do not remember my 9's being especially efficient. Especially depending on whether a subwoofer is going to be used and if so the XO, you might want to pay a bit more attention than usual to the AVR's amplifier stage. The smartest play to me would be at least a 2 channel outboard amplifier in tandem with something like an Onkyo 700 Series, Denon 3000 Series, likewise Yamaha, and Pioneer.

While I have not been following as closely for the past year, last I looked NAD, Arcam, and some of the other smaller brands (I am sure ownership makes them bigger, but still) have often had HDMI implementation issues. With the trojan horse that is HDMI, there really is no workaround.

This is why I have used outboard amplifiers combined with mass market AVR's. In the HDMI era, I have used Onkyo's (805, 875, 3007, 3008) and currently a Denon AVR-4520CI. In terms of amplifier stage for the money, the THX Ultra2 Onkyo models are awfully tough to beat.

While many are quite reticent to purchase Onkyo's due to HDMI issues, I must say my experience has been quite positive on the whole. Currently the TX-SR805 and 875 are both serving friends well to this day. The 3007 was a B-Stock and it did puke an HDMI board. Or three. However, the A-Stock 3008 that Onkyo was kind enough to replace it with was stellar. As is Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which is another reason to consider an Onkyo. Or Denon/Marantz and whomever else licenses the technology.

I will say that I always placed my Onkyo AVR's on the top of a repurposed Bell 'Ogetti TV Stand. It appears (unsurprisingly I suppose) that the Onkyo's are especially sensitive to placement.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #9 of 11 Old 01-18-2014, 05:17 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

While I have not been following as closely for the past year, last I looked NAD, Arcam, and some of the other smaller brands (I am sure ownership makes them bigger, but still) have often had HDMI implementation issues. With the trojan horse that is HDMI, there really is no workaround.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443173/owners-thread-cambridge-audio-651r-751r/450#post_24188297
post #10 of 11 Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Sorry. I dont play into interrogations. Do a search for Anthem processor problems. Sort through the results. I dont believe I was alone in having problems with them.

WOW!!!

post #11 of 11 Old 01-20-2014, 09:47 AM

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings...... Its been a while since I was online talking about the Anthem woes. Thats all.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page