Receiver for Paradigm Monitor 11 Series 7 Speakers ?? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Receiver for Paradigm Monitor 11 Series 7 Speakers ??

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

rbs23420's Avatar rbs23420
11:56 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 11
01-15-2014 | Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 2014

Does anyone have a specific recommendation as to what receiver to pair with the Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 Speakers?

 

I am only using them as a stereo pair for the time being and do not need anything more than 5.1 in the future..

 

I was at a local store today and they highly recommended the Anthem MRX 310?

 

I have read some threads that the Anthem MRX 300 is a better value?

 

My main question is if either one of these receivers is "powerful" enough for me to get the full function of these new speakers that I am about to purchase?

 

I am not an audiophile and have very little experience when it comes to speakers, receivers etc.

Any info or opinions on regarding these Speakers or receivers will be much appreciated

 

~~Thanks in advance.


tritiumglo's Avatar tritiumglo
04:37 AM Liked: 35
post #2 of 11
01-16-2014 | Posts: 293
Joined: Oct 2011
Forget that Anthem. Bugs will likely crawl out of that thing till there is no tomorrow. My AVM 50 was a lost cause. Their amps are really good but anything else should be approached with caution.

I heard those speakers on Cambridge. It was a very good match. I would also consider NAD or Arcam. This depends mostly on your budget and whether you prefer clean/lean or smooth/warm. My recommendations lean towards smooth camp. If you want a something more analytical look at Rotel.

Consider making sure whatever you get has pre outs. If you want more power you can simply add amplifiers.

The Monitor 11, with a sensitivity of 93db in room, are going to play reasonably loud with minimal power. They are not hard to drive. Regardless, more power is always better.........
manoun5's Avatar manoun5
08:52 AM Liked: 18
post #3 of 11
01-16-2014 | Posts: 28
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post

Forget that Anthem. Bugs will likely crawl out of that thing till there is no tomorrow. My AVM 50 was a lost cause. Their amps are really good but anything else should be approached with caution.

I heard those speakers on Cambridge. It was a very good match. I would also consider NAD or Arcam. This depends mostly on your budget and whether you prefer clean/lean or smooth/warm. My recommendations lean towards smooth camp. If you want a something more analytical look at Rotel.

Consider making sure whatever you get has pre outs. If you want more power you can simply add amplifiers.

The Monitor 11, with a sensitivity of 93db in room, are going to play reasonably loud with minimal power. They are not hard to drive. Regardless, more power is always better.........


Where are your posts in the Anthem owners thread? 


tritiumglo's Avatar tritiumglo
04:42 PM Liked: 35
post #4 of 11
01-17-2014 | Posts: 293
Joined: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoun5 View Post


Where are your posts in the Anthem owners thread? 

Dig around, maybe you will find them. The posts translate into "Help me."
You see, I was an Anthem fan boy until I got my hands on one of those processors. Never again.
I still respect the amps. No problems there.
phantom52's Avatar phantom52
05:00 PM Liked: 83
post #5 of 11
01-17-2014 | Posts: 7,089
Joined: Dec 2004
Either of the two below sound very good with those Paradigm speakers. I have the Reference series Paradigms and with a NAD they sound fantastic. Depending on budget of these two my choice would be the T758. But the 748v2 will also drive those easily. Good luck and enjoy.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|745T748V2&compareItems=01|745T758&g=10420
manoun5's Avatar manoun5
05:56 PM Liked: 18
post #6 of 11
01-17-2014 | Posts: 28
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post


Dig around, maybe you will find them. The posts translate into "Help me."
You see, I was an Anthem fan boy until I got my hands on one of those processors. Never again.
I still respect the amps. No problems there.

What was your member name?


tritiumglo's Avatar tritiumglo
04:45 AM Liked: 35
post #7 of 11
01-18-2014 | Posts: 293
Joined: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoun5 View Post

What was your member name?

Sorry. I dont play into interrogations. Do a search for Anthem processor problems. Sort through the results. I dont believe I was alone in having problems with them.
Audiodork's Avatar Audiodork
06:02 AM Liked: 31
post #8 of 11
01-18-2014 | Posts: 2,442
Joined: Jul 2007
Hello,
While the last Monitor Series speakers I owned was a decent bit of time ago, I do not remember my 9's being especially efficient. Especially depending on whether a subwoofer is going to be used and if so the XO, you might want to pay a bit more attention than usual to the AVR's amplifier stage. The smartest play to me would be at least a 2 channel outboard amplifier in tandem with something like an Onkyo 700 Series, Denon 3000 Series, likewise Yamaha, and Pioneer.

While I have not been following as closely for the past year, last I looked NAD, Arcam, and some of the other smaller brands (I am sure ownership makes them bigger, but still) have often had HDMI implementation issues. With the trojan horse that is HDMI, there really is no workaround.

This is why I have used outboard amplifiers combined with mass market AVR's. In the HDMI era, I have used Onkyo's (805, 875, 3007, 3008) and currently a Denon AVR-4520CI. In terms of amplifier stage for the money, the THX Ultra2 Onkyo models are awfully tough to beat.

While many are quite reticent to purchase Onkyo's due to HDMI issues, I must say my experience has been quite positive on the whole. Currently the TX-SR805 and 875 are both serving friends well to this day. The 3007 was a B-Stock and it did puke an HDMI board. Or three. However, the A-Stock 3008 that Onkyo was kind enough to replace it with was stellar. As is Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which is another reason to consider an Onkyo. Or Denon/Marantz and whomever else licenses the technology.

I will say that I always placed my Onkyo AVR's on the top of a repurposed Bell 'Ogetti TV Stand. It appears (unsurprisingly I suppose) that the Onkyo's are especially sensitive to placement.
Cheers,
AD
Badouri's Avatar Badouri
06:17 AM Liked: 56
post #9 of 11
01-18-2014 | Posts: 357
Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

While I have not been following as closely for the past year, last I looked NAD, Arcam, and some of the other smaller brands (I am sure ownership makes them bigger, but still) have often had HDMI implementation issues. With the trojan horse that is HDMI, there really is no workaround.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443173/owners-thread-cambridge-audio-651r-751r/450#post_24188297
manoun5's Avatar manoun5
08:41 AM Liked: 18
post #10 of 11
01-20-2014 | Posts: 28
Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post


Sorry. I dont play into interrogations. Do a search for Anthem processor problems. Sort through the results. I dont believe I was alone in having problems with them.


WOW!!!


tritiumglo's Avatar tritiumglo
10:47 AM Liked: 35
post #11 of 11
01-20-2014 | Posts: 293
Joined: Oct 2011
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings...... Its been a while since I was online talking about the Anthem woes. Thats all.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3