Marantz NR1603 or SR5007? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello all.

A while back I purchased an onkyo S9300THX 7.1 HTIB and was very pleased with it. Yesterday my receiver decided to go out with a bang (smoke, sparks and all) and am looking for a replacement. For now I would like to keep my existing speakers but will look towards upgrading in the future. For now I would like to replace the receiver and am looking at a new Marantz NR1603 for $500 at amazon. However I stumbled upon the SR5007 at A4L for the same price. New carries a 3 year warranty and refurbished only 1.

My old HTIB specs: http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-S9300THX&class=Systems

Advertised power output is 130 W/Channel but the specs list it as being at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1%, 1 ch driven. I don't know why they do this since the included speakers are 8 ohms. According to the dynamic power chart it would be feeding 100 W at 8 ohms to each speaker so the SR5007 would be identical in power but ask I keep reading watts isn't everything. the sensitivity of the speakers is 83 dB/W/m for the LCR speakers and 81 for the surrounds.

Which system do you think would better fit my setup? Would the 1603 be under powering the speakers? I usually listed to movies and games pretty loud but usually below reference level. I'm just wondering if given my luck I should stick with the lower power product that has a longer warranty? From what I hear despite being "only" 50 watts the little NR1603 is pretty good.

I'm also open to other suggestions in my budget of $500 or under. I like the Marantz because the designs are usually pretty nice.

Other thoughts:

I don't really care for network capability, airplay etc. I just want something to handle sound and video switching.

HD audio support is a must.

4k support might be nice for when I upgrade the TV.

Don't care for 3D.

Thank you all in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-16-2014, 05:26 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
As is the case with most HTIB, they use the lower impedance (6ohm as opposed to 8ohm), single frequency (1khz) as opposed to full range 20-20kHz, high THD (1%) as opposed to .08% on the SR5007, and 1CH driven as opposed to 2CH driven, all for marketing purposes as it allows them to publish a MUCH higher wattage for the HTIB. If you were to compare the HTIB to the SR5007 using the much higher standards of either the 1603 or the 5007, the HTIB would likely only be putting out closer to 30W-40W at the most. Also note that HTIB speakers are generally not designed to be powered by other than the HTIB receiver as they are very inefficient. You would be well served selling them and getting another 5.1 setup like the Energy Take Classic 5.1. That said, if you insist on using those speakers with a new AVR, the SR5007 has a more powerful power supply that would be better able to power them. Also as the refurb only has a 1 year warranty, you will definitely want to purchase an extended warranty from AC4L to bring it up to at least the 3 year warranty for a new unit. Having to replace an HDMI board out of warranty (if it goes bad) can cost upwards of $400 to replace. eek.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thank you for the reply! When you say that the speakers aren't meant to be run by anything other than the HTIB reciever what do you mean by this? Is there a risk to damage the new receiver or for damage to the speakers themselves? They state that they are 8 Ohm 120w (peak) speakers, but if they fluff the receiver specs I assume the same can be said of the speakers.

I do indeed plan on buying new speakers eventually but with a new baby on the way my play money is being spent elsewhere. The only reason the wife is letting me get a new receiver is because the old one blew up. Thank you for the advice on the speaker system I will bookmark it for future reference!

Do you by any chance know if I purchase the extended warranty is it an extended factory warranty or a dealer warranty. would I be dealing with AC4L for issues or with Marantz?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page