AV Receiver or stereo receiver for stereo only setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I would be happy with a great quality stereo system as my room isn't set up for a proper 5.1/7.1 experience. I was thinking to get a Stereo receiver instead of an AV Receiver but when i went to the store i was told that i cannot do that. He told me that a Stereo Receiver won't be able to properly decode the audio from movie. I will be using my OPPO for DVD/Bluray and so i thought that if i setup my OPPO for Stereo Mix i won't have any problem ? Also he told me that with this kind of setup where audio cable will be connected to the Receiver and HDMI to the TV i will get some delay between the image and the sound.

So for a stereo only setup can i buy a stereo receiver or is the an AV receiver the only solution? The reason i'm wondering this is that the guy recommanded me the Marantz SR6008 which was 1200$ (CAN) but for 500$ cheaper i could have buy a pretty decent stereo receiver.

Just want to add that even if i will be using this setup for movie i will mainly use it for music listening. This is another reason why i would prefer a stereo setup.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Since you have the Oppo, you could go either way. Depending on what Oppo BD you have, you could even go with just a pair of powered speakers or a two channel amp. You won't get any room correction though if that is important to you. Personally, I enjoy stereo sources processed into multi-channel just as much as in their native format, but I'm not an audio purist either. A stereo source processed over 5, 7, 9, or 11 speakers sounds great IF the room correction is top notch and the room is treated properly.

You can save a bundle on the Marantz ( refurbished ) if Accessories4less ships to Canada.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 4 Old 01-18-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I have a 2.1 system using an OPPO BDP-95, and that is not a problem.

I use the analog audio outputs to go direct to my stereo preamp and an HDMI cable to my TV, and there is no delay.

If you did have a problem, you can contact OPPO tech support by phone and they can tell you which settings to use to take care of it.

If you want the best sound quality, go with a NAD receiver if you can get one. There should be no problem getting one in Canada.

NAD and Cambridge Audio are the only ones I will usually recommend, but the Marantz SR-4023 Stereo Receiver is pretty good and probably has all the features you want; check it out. It only runs $499 in the USA. It has a subwoofer output and a phono preamp, among other things.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-18-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks ! The OPPO i have is the BDP-103 so this is why I need a receiver. Thank for the recommandation i will check this out !
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page