Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 265 Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post

Agreed. I think the SC-71 is really a "sweet spot" in features and price. Spend less, and you miss out on features, power, and potentially sound quality. There really isn't a point in spending more money though. I don't think there is much improvement to be had in sound quality or SPL beyond the SC-71 (unless someone has very inefficient speakers).

I've only read about a couple of "features" the higher priced models have, and not one of them is something I'd pay extra to have.

-------

Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR, Panasonic PS50ST60 Plasma, KEF LS50s, Tivo Roamio Pro, Sonos Playbar & Sub, Dune HD, 

SVS SB-1000, Synology Diskstation 1513+.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 265 Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Been thinking of adding a dedicated headphone amp to the system.  Any suggestions on how to accomplish this with the SC-71?  Most of the recommendations I've seen with older/other amps is to connect the headphone amp to the tape/out connections.  Of course, the SC-71 doesn't have those.  I'm considering connecting it to the headphone jack, but thought I'd see if anyone had a more "elegant" solution.

-------

Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR, Panasonic PS50ST60 Plasma, KEF LS50s, Tivo Roamio Pro, Sonos Playbar & Sub, Dune HD, 

post #93 of 265 Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I know the guys at HardForum like Schiit amps.

one review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-asgard-headphone-amplifier

there's a new one, the Vali that is or just came out for $120 ish.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #94 of 265 Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.kefdirect.com/kef-specials.html

For those interested in KEF speakers.

-------

post #95 of 265 Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Schiit is at the top of my list.  I'm interested largely in the Lyr: 

http://schiit.com/products/lyr

A guy has one for sale on Ebay, but he's including all these tubes he's bought and driving up the price to several hundred dollars over the price of the amp.  

For now I'm very happy with the Audioquest Dragonfly, and probably delay purchase of the Schiit.  The costs of my toys in recent weeks has been outrageous! :)

-------

post #96 of 265 Old 02-28-2014, 05:52 PM

so MCACC is detecting one of my rear speakers as being out of phase and it is not.. I have checked it over and over... anyone else have this happen??

PS: is there a way to disable the on screen display of volume.. it's a little intrusive to the tv watching. ??

EDIT: looks like the reverse phase message is most likely due to mic placement and/or speaker placement. that speaker is kind of close to a wall and sounds different than the other rear surround. I am going to re-run mcacc with front align (rather than symmetry) and put the mic in a different spot.. waiting until I get my new center channel on monday though I think.

edit2: I was messing with this thing for a while.. the center was all low and muffled until I turned off EQ Pro... so something with that MCACC run with Symmetry is weird, as others have expressed. once the wife leaves the house today I will run it again with front align.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #97 of 265 Old 03-01-2014, 02:30 PM

ok - I did the MCACC with "front align" and did the whole reverb and fine eq calibrations and what a difference.. I also put the mic on a little tri-pod I had and didn't get the out of phase alert on that rear speaker. I also moved my sub around and found a nice spot where the bass "gets under you" but it's not boomy. My wife was complaining the bass was too much and it was a bit boomy.. now you just feel it and hear those really low notes but it doesn't draw attention to itself.. it's powerful but blends well.. the system feels way more balanced now.

and I'll do it all again when I get my new center and put the side speakers up for full 7.1.. lol. good times.

post #98 of 265 Old 03-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
i know this is a tough question, but cant decide between marantz 5008, pioneer sc71 and yamaha rx830..
tv is sony 65 inch 4k; bd player is Oppo 103

which would you choose at this point?
thanks for your opinion! cool.gif
post #99 of 265 Old 03-02-2014, 10:23 AM

not sure as I have no experience with any of the others... I guess it boils down to features you want and will really use (air-play, streaming, nice IOS app for remote, etc) and price and such.. I think they probably will all sound nice with the right speaker setup and room. smile.gif

post #100 of 265 Old 03-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys glad somebody started a thread for this receiver I just found this today. I got one of these at the end of last summer and I think it works great. I'm running a 7.1 system with mirage main speakers and def tech surround rears and a martin logan dynamo 500 sub. When I set this system up I wasn't necessarily impressed with the bass so I'm curious to go home today and mess with some of these settings you guys have been talking about. i initially thought it was just not that great of a sub and planned on getting another since this receiver has the two outputs, but now maybe I can just push a little more out by recalibrating it. So how many of you guys are using the dual subwoofer or dual hdmi out features for that matter. I love the second hdmi out feature. I mounted a 32" on the wall that I can swivel out when I want to watch something in the background while playing xbox or something on the projector. I also really need to hook up an ethernet cable so I can do the updates for Spotify.
post #101 of 265 Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 PM

Hi All,

I just received my AVR (SC72) on Saturday from an online store as I couldn't find it locally. The AVR box was packaged inside another box and that shipping box was absolutely destroyed during shipping. The FedEx man literally had to cradle it all in order for the AVR not to fall out. So obviously my concern is something happened to the receiver. Oh, the receiver box itself was also not tapped closed. But everything was inside the box and nothing seemed used.

I mention all this so that you understand my question.

I unboxed the receiver and hooked up 2 fronts and two surround speakers. No TV, no nothing else. On the TUNER input I only et sound from the fronts.

My question is do you HAVE to go through the setup mode before the receiver will output sound to any speakers other than the fronts? I'm trying to figure out if the receiver is damaged and needs returning. I've also routed the AVR fronts to a subwoofer and then from the sub to the two fronts and only one of the speakers work in this config. Center speaker will not work either. I'm hoping that for this AVR you are required to go through the setup process before anything other than the front speakers will work.

I'm hooking up a network to it now to run thru the setup process.

Any ideas on the speakers not working?
Thanks
Jim
post #102 of 265 Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 PM

Jim,

ouch... that would scare me. So my sc-71 had all speakers activated and set to small by default.. in a 7.1 type config. because I am running 5.1 temporarily I had to deactivate the surr rear back speakers so MCACC wouldn't complain about there being no speakers there... I would put the receiver into EXT STEREO mode which is like stereo but with all the speakers going at once.. if you cycle through the different sound modes you will find it.. it's kind of far down the list. So if you don't get sound from some speakers something is a miss. Also - get a tv hooked up to it asap and go into the setup UI and then into the manual speaker settings. See if you can verify all the channels are activated. You can run test tones from one of the menus in there also. Good luck!!

post #103 of 265 Old 03-03-2014, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the reply, its appreciated. I'm disconnecting my computer monitor and will use it as my AVR receiver just to check things out. Thanks again
Jim
post #104 of 265 Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 PM

NP and good luck. Yeah, getting into the setup UI is key so you can verify those channels are activated. If it is indeed a new unit, they all should be. You should be able to play a stereo source with EXT STEREO and hear music from all the channels.

post #105 of 265 Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3nant View Post

ok - I did the MCACC with "front align" and did the whole reverb and fine eq calibrations and what a difference.. I also put the mic on a little tri-pod I had and didn't get the out of phase alert on that rear speaker. I also moved my sub around and found a nice spot where the bass "gets under you" but it's not boomy. My wife was complaining the bass was too much and it was a bit boomy.. now you just feel it and hear those really low notes but it doesn't draw attention to itself.. it's powerful but blends well.. the system feels way more balanced now.

and I'll do it all again when I get my new center and put the side speakers up for full 7.1.. lol. good times.

"it" just never ends, does it? :)

-------

post #106 of 265 Old 03-03-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman619 View Post

Hey guys glad somebody started a thread for this receiver I just found this today. I got one of these at the end of last summer and I think it works great. I'm running a 7.1 system with mirage main speakers and def tech surround rears and a martin logan dynamo 500 sub. When I set this system up I wasn't necessarily impressed with the bass so I'm curious to go home today and mess with some of these settings you guys have been talking about. i initially thought it was just not that great of a sub and planned on getting another since this receiver has the two outputs, but now maybe I can just push a little more out by recalibrating it. So how many of you guys are using the dual subwoofer or dual hdmi out features for that matter. I love the second hdmi out feature. I mounted a 32" on the wall that I can swivel out when I want to watch something in the background while playing xbox or something on the projector. I also really need to hook up an ethernet cable so I can do the updates for Spotify.

I envy you guys with dual subs.  My room is definitely too small to even consider such luxury.  I'm perfectly happy with the small SVS SB-1000.  Doesn't rock the house and provides all the lows I need to round out the sound from my SC-71 with KEF LS50 satellites.

As for the dual hdmi outputs, I'm using the second one to connect a Panasonic PST50 on another floor via the DVDO Air3, which works perfectly.  I tried one of these wireless hdmi connections by Netgear and another whose name escapes me (went back checked -- it was a Nyrius) for the moment.  

-------

post #107 of 265 Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM

I just added a Kilpsch sub-12hg to my setup and wow.. I know people here have said mixed things about it but in my new living room this thing is perfect... the down firing driver hits the floor nicely and the port is right in a corner pushing a subtle but powerful bass sound through the room... I would be scared to add a second.. it started rattling windows during my "Pacific Rim" test this morning at 2 notches past 1/2 on the gain, LFE is at 0 on the receiver.. lol. going to have to do some anti-rattle work. redface.gif getting my new center today and will hang my surround L and R this weekend getting 7.1 in full effect. woot!!

post #108 of 265 Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Congratulations on getting a sub! makes a big difference biggrin.gif

Steve
post #109 of 265 Old 03-04-2014, 03:14 PM

I had a Polk psw505 before but it didn't have the power to fill this room... I tried a lot of positions and it got better in some, but wouldn't really hit hard.. it sounded kind of boomy. anyways... I was so close to getting the outlaw audio lfm-1 plus but buying on amazon is just so easy... sigh. hit a button tonight and it shows up tomorrow. anyways...

the saga of my center channel.. first one showed up with parts rattling inside it... doh. seller over-nighted me another but did a signature confirmation and I ofcourse am not home when they deliver packages so I have to pick it up at the station tomorrow. well, that was more of a hassle than it should have been but it happens.

it will be interesting to run MCACC again with the new speakers and in a 7.1 config and see how much if a difference it makes. smile.gif I am really happy with the SC-71 so far.. the IOS app is so nice and the air-play feature is sooooo great.

just for grins, here is the room... it's big and has a stair case in it also..

post #110 of 265 Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man, that room needs a second sub!! :rolleyes:

Congratulations.  Glad you're happy with the Klipsch sub.  I wouldn't worry about the mixed opinions.  Some of the people around here complain about everything.  I've seen a lot of negative comments on the SVS subs, and I've got the smallest one they make (SB-1000) and it works perfectly in my space.

Hope you're able to get the replacement center connected and that it works perfectly.

Keep us posted.

Another happy SC-71 owner!

-------

post #111 of 265 Old 03-04-2014, 03:49 PM

yeah - I read the reviews at amazon and newegg and filtered out all the "ZOMG THIS IS THE BEST EVER..." crap... there are some pretty detailed and well written reviews in there usually. the klipsch is really well made - fired right up and sounded amazing. it's HUGE but that's cool. the wife will probably want to put a plant on it or something. lolz

I'll take some pics of the SC-71 when I get the ent cent dialed in this weekend.

post #112 of 265 Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 PM

So what is the general consensus about DRC (Dynamic Range Control?). I was playing with it and it didn't seem to do much.. I was thinking about just turning it off. It's on auto now.. how does it know when to implement it? when the volume is below a certain level? if the sun is down? lol... just wondering.

post #113 of 265 Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So what is the general consensus about DRC (Dynamic Range Control?). I was playing with it and it didn't seem to do much.. I was thinking about just turning it off. It's on auto now.. how does it know when to implement it? when the volume is below a certain level? if the sun is down? lol... just wondering.

From the manual: 

'Adjusts the level of dynamic range for movie soundtracks optimized for Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio (you may need to use this feature when listen- ing to surround sound at low volumes).'

For some reason it's not showing up as an option in audio parameters on my unit.

-------

post #114 of 265 Old 03-07-2014, 03:36 PM

I think it only shows up while one of those surround modes is active. It's the equivalent of "midnight" setting on the non elite I used to have I think. I am going to turn it off because it's going to alter the dynamic range on the fly and I don't want that during normal playback... I could only see that being useful for me maybe if I am watching movies late at night and we have a house guest that is sleeping or something..

post #115 of 265 Old 03-08-2014, 04:08 PM

finally got all the parts in place... and pictures as promised.

I did my best to hide the white cable... I think it worked really well. smile.gif

post #116 of 265 Old 03-08-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

What equipment stand are you using?
post #117 of 265 Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 PM

This is it: Init TV stand

I bought it like 5 years ago... I was surprised they still had them. redface.gif

post #118 of 265 Old 03-09-2014, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Looks great revenant!  Nice looking receiver you got there! ;)

What speakers are those on the wall?

Nice job with the cable, too.  Now get rid of that Xfinity DVR and get yourself a Tivo and you're all set! :D 

-------

post #119 of 265 Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

Quote:

What equipment stand are you using?

Speaking of stands, let me show you the coolest (most outrageously priced stands I have ever seen).  If I could afford it:

http://www.adonacorporation.com/photos.html

-------

post #120 of 265 Old 03-09-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykereid View Post

Speaking of stands, let me show you the coolest (most outrageously priced stands I have ever seen).  If I could afford it:

http://www.adonacorporation.com/photos.html

I think this could be the material some of these stands are made from: http://www.8020.net/About-1.asp
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 71

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page