Official Pioneer Elite SC-71 Receiver Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 256 Old 07-16-2014, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 45
UPDATE- incase anyone cares. Called pioneer support. Which sucked BTW. They closed for 2 hours in the morning for "training" and are closed at lunch. I waited 35 minutes and was on the phone with them for about a minute. They said. "oh thats broken" so I returned it and got the last new one they had. I got it open box for 499 and they gave me a NIB one so I cant really complain. Last shot with Pioneer if something goes wrong with this its time for a denon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 256 Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
that's really weird.. maybe try crossing at 80hz? it's like some kind of mute is on taking the volume down -20 or something... have you tried a full on factory reset? I know it's a pain but maybe some setting got stuck in there that's causing this... at 0 db you should be achieving "lift off' type volumes.. my wife flips out if I get under -15...

the reset procedure is on page 71 of the manual: reset sc-71

EDIT: DOH! I need to read these posts backwards.. well, glad you got it replaced then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
MCAA did set most of my channels -3 on surrounds and -7 on the C,L,R speakers. I find I have to watch a movie at -0 to get what I would consider "loud enough". Don't get me wrong its not quiet at -0 but seeing as it bench tested so high on RMS I would assume it would be a tad louder when compared to my 35 rmx yamaha also turned up to -0. I took out the db metter and decided to adjust the db levels of all the speakers. I made my RR the reference channel and put it to -0 db's, Which on my db meter turned to be around 81-83db's. The receivers volume was set to -30. I made all my speakers match to that 81-83 range with the center just a tad higher 82-84. All my speakers are set to small and the subs crossover is at 100 hurtz. My main subs are not finished yet as I am still waiting for the drivers to arrive so I have a 15" ported sub only right now getting about 600rms from my inuke.
I had to put the trim on -3 as the voices sounded tinny at higher volumes, might be my rooms acoustics but I am guessing its more the receiver. All in all I feel it sounds very clean and clear and has a nice even tone.

I will do a test later with a movie and see how loud it is turned up to -0. I have been using the blue ray avengers for my listening tests. Kinda getting sick of the movie at this point.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #243 of 256 Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yea this new receiver works EXCEPT the network keeps having errors and my mobile app wont work. My first sc-71 worked right away when connected and had no issues. I know my Either nets working fine as the PS4 is hooked up to it. Also the MCaa didnt do as good of a job this time around and the vocals sound muddier but on the pus site it was much louder. 0.0 was very loud and I had to turn it down to 10. My mains where still at -6.

I said enough is enough, regardless of the stellar deal I got on it $500 new. Bought a x4000 open box for $800 and I am returning it today.
post #244 of 256 Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
wow... well, I think I would have done the same if I had all those issues with multiple receivers. Good luck with the x4000! If I made the jump from Pioneer it would be to Denon for sure.

PS: the network thing might have been a mac address issue.. setting a static IP on a different address from the old sc-71 might have fixed that. but the MCACC issues - sounds like another bad unit maybe. I have had different mic placement change the outcome of MCACC drastically. I now use a mini tri-pod and put it on two pillows on the couch right in the sweet spot (kind of where my head/heck would be if I was slouching). We have a floor lamp also that if i had it in a certain spot one of the rear channels would show as being out of phase.. so I remove that from the room before running it. Weird stuff.

Here's hoping all of us who bought these online don't have issues. we're pretty much screwed if we do.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV

Last edited by r3v3nant; 07-17-2014 at 11:00 AM.
post #245 of 256 Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No subwoofer recognized

Hi,

When I start the MCACC process - starting with the Full Auto Setup - the receiver does not recognize that I have a subwoofer connected. All other speakers are showing and the test tones, etc cycle through just fine. Even after running the first 3 settings the system gives you a chance to change the speaker settings and I have entered/changed the SW setting from No to Yes and then Retry, but it keeps coming back with no sub.

I have unplugged the power to the sub, then plugged back in and double checked that it is connected to the proper Subwoofer channel 1 on the receiver. My sub does not have an on/off switch, just an auto on indicator which is showing as being on. I have the gain/volume set to mid+ and the internal crossover to bypass.

After running the Full Auto I have gone into the manual speaker setting systems and changed/added that there is a sub connected and then run the Auto MCACC with the Keep Sp Setting??? Still nothing coming from my sub at all.

Also have checked that the LFE is not switched to OFF in the receiver, just sitting at the 0 db/default.

So my dumb question is - is my sub dead (it's an old Def Tech PF15 which has been great for many years) ? Or do I have something setup wrong in the receiver? It just seems weird that at the very first step in the setup process it doesn't even see all the speakers! I even cleared out all of the MCACC presets and started from scratch, but still saying no sub when I start the Full Auto process again.

Also - is there really a truly Manual setup? Meaning not setting up the MCACC at all and just entering all of the data for the speakers/sub? Wouldn't this then recognize the sub connection? I feel I did this in the manual speaker setup section........but don't know how that interacts with what I did in the Full Auto setup?

Thanks for any comments!
post #246 of 256 Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUT View Post
Hi,

When I start the MCACC process - starting with the Full Auto Setup - the receiver does not recognize that I have a subwoofer connected. All other speakers are showing and the test tones, etc cycle through just fine. Even after running the first 3 settings the system gives you a chance to change the speaker settings and I have entered/changed the SW setting from No to Yes and then Retry, but it keeps coming back with no sub.

I have unplugged the power to the sub, then plugged back in and double checked that it is connected to the proper Subwoofer channel 1 on the receiver. My sub does not have an on/off switch, just an auto on indicator which is showing as being on. I have the gain/volume set to mid+ and the internal crossover to bypass.

After running the Full Auto I have gone into the manual speaker setting systems and changed/added that there is a sub connected and then run the Auto MCACC with the Keep Sp Setting??? Still nothing coming from my sub at all.

Also have checked that the LFE is not switched to OFF in the receiver, just sitting at the 0 db/default.

So my dumb question is - is my sub dead (it's an old Def Tech PF15 which has been great for many years) ? Or do I have something setup wrong in the receiver? It just seems weird that at the very first step in the setup process it doesn't even see all the speakers! I even cleared out all of the MCACC presets and started from scratch, but still saying no sub when I start the Full Auto process again.

Also - is there really a truly Manual setup? Meaning not setting up the MCACC at all and just entering all of the data for the speakers/sub? Wouldn't this then recognize the sub connection? I feel I did this in the manual speaker setup section........but don't know how that interacts with what I did in the Full Auto setup?

Thanks for any comments!
My guess is that your issues are related to how you have the woofer connected. Try running a mono RCA from sub preout 1 to the left or right (either one, it will not make a difference) low level input. Then re-run mcacc. Let me know if that resolves the issue.
post #247 of 256 Old 08-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallashobbyist View Post
My guess is that your issues are related to how you have the woofer connected. Try running a mono RCA from sub preout 1 to the left or right (either one, it will not make a difference) low level input. Then re-run mcacc. Let me know if that resolves the issue.
Thanks, I am already connected to the Left low-level input on the sub (also labeled LFE). I will try switching to the Right input just to try but sounds like maybe not gonna work?

This sub also has 2 crossover adjustments - a Variable High Pass Crossover and a Variable Low Pass Crossover (this one can be "pulled out" to bypass it entirely). I have tried various combinations, but still nothing. Any suggestions on where to set this with this receiver?

I have read that maybe using a Y connector so that the cable connects to both L and R low level inputs on the sub may help "wake up" subs quicker that have only an auto-on, not an actual on/off switch. Could it be that the receiver just thinks my sub is asleep/not connected even though it shows the red light as on? The reason I ask is that when I unplug the power to the sub and then plug it back in, this indicator light does not go on until I play from an audio source (CD) to "wake it up" so to speak......even though there is literally nothing coming from the sub! Crazy, I know.
post #248 of 256 Old 08-05-2014, 03:06 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Thanks, I am already connected to the Left low-level input on the sub (also labeled LFE). I will try switching to the Right input just to try but sounds like maybe not gonna work?

This sub also has 2 crossover adjustments - a Variable High Pass Crossover and a Variable Low Pass Crossover (this one can be "pulled out" to bypass it entirely). I have tried various combinations, but still nothing. Any suggestions on where to set this with this receiver?

I have read that maybe using a Y connector so that the cable connects to both L and R low level inputs on the sub may help "wake up" subs quicker that have only an auto-on, not an actual on/off switch. Could it be that the receiver just thinks my sub is asleep/not connected even though it shows the red light as on? The reason I ask is that when I unplug the power to the sub and then plug it back in, this indicator light does not go on until I play from an audio source (CD) to "wake it up" so to speak......even though there is literally nothing coming from the sub! Crazy, I know.
Sorry if that suggestion sounded presumptuous. The fact that the indicator light turns on when you play a CD suggests that the receiver is sending the signal to the sub. So, the issue is down the line at the sub level. Maybe one of your local AV shops will test it for you, working under the assumption that if it is broken you will buy from them.
post #249 of 256 Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallashobbyist View Post
Sorry if that suggestion sounded presumptuous. The fact that the indicator light turns on when you play a CD suggests that the receiver is sending the signal to the sub. So, the issue is down the line at the sub level. Maybe one of your local AV shops will test it for you, working under the assumption that if it is broken you will buy from them.
Nope, not presumptuous at all, appreciate your suggestion! I will keep messing with sub and receiver for a while, maybe something magical will happen! ha
post #250 of 256 Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
So my dumb question is - is my sub dead (it's an old Def Tech PF15 which has been great for many years) ? Or do I have something setup wrong in the receiver?
Hi JSUT, with the RCA cable connected to the subwoofer touch the other end to see if you hear a hum, if not try another sub cable.

Another test to try is to directly connect a CD/DVD/BD player (iPhone or android) to the sub and play a heavy base audio (music or movie). That would bypass the receiver and let you know if the issue is with the receiver or the sub.
post #251 of 256 Old 08-08-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all - just got myself an open box unit from Best Buy for $590 (had some rewards that were expiring to bring down the price also). Do you think that's a fair price for this? Upgrading from an Onkyo 606, so hopefully I hear a difference.

Won't have time until Sunday to run the calibration, but in the meantime, wanted to get your thoughts on whether bi-amping would do any good for a set of Polk Audio Monitor 70s.

Also, instructions say not to put microphone on a sofa when calibrating... I'm thinking even if I put if on a tripod, the tripod would still go on the sofa, so not sure if it makes any difference. Any thoughts on how critical the part about not putting it on a sofa is?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
post #252 of 256 Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello! My sc-71 seems to make a hi-pitched shrill noise for 1-2 seconds when first powered on. No attached components (plasma tv, wdtv live) are powered on during this time. If I power the receiver down then back up again there is no noise. Any ideas? Thanks!
post #253 of 256 Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage01 View Post
Hello! My sc-71 seems to make a hi-pitched shrill noise for 1-2 seconds when first powered on. No attached components (plasma tv, wdtv live) are powered on during this time. If I power the receiver down then back up again there is no noise. Any ideas? Thanks!
Can't help you out there since I just got mine. But mine does not make any noise like you are describing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
post #254 of 256 Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi fellow Pioneer owners. I bought an open box SC-71 and no issues that I can see. I wanted to ask how I should set the crossover and speaker settings(small large) for my system. I have 2 ADS L810s, large speakers with a mid, tweeter and 2 8" woofers. Then I have smaller KLH Model 32s, they also have one 5-6" woofer each. My bass is currently being managed by an SVS PB-1000. FYI, I have no MCACC mic yet. Correct me on this if you need to. If I set them all to large, the bass will be managed by the speakers crossovers. If I set them to small, the speakers will not get much bass unless I set them to 50hz. Why do people often choose 80 hz crossover as a reference? If the speakers are large, the sub won't get enough work to do? Thanks.
post #255 of 256 Old 09-10-2014, 07:57 PM

I'm trying to send the same video output to two tv's, but it only works with the blu ray player and not the directv signal. I have switched inputs and it's always the same thing. Does it have to do with the quality of the cable coming in from the directv box? Please help me figure this out. Also, a more simple issue, I assume, is how do I get it to send the same sound to all speakers when I play music?
post #256 of 256 Old 09-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 313
I just sold my 71 for an denon 4520. I think i will miss it though.

Denon 4520CI on order - Polk 9.3 w/ wides
Sharp 60" - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
DIY sealed 15" x2 sub build almost started
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 71

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page