HDCP DirecTV Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies if this post is a common issue. But I did a search and didn't find quite this scenario.

Here is my set-up:
- Sony R550 LED TV
- Denon AVR 791 Receiver
- DirecTV Genie (Client).

When I first set this up, back in November, everything worked fine.
Then, a few weeks later, when starting up the system to watch DirecTV, the image began to blink for a few seconds, eventually being replaced by the message:

"Your TV doesn't support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view this program."

If I power off the Denon receiver, the pass-through signal to the TV usually looks find. Then when I power up the receiver a second time, the picture is also fine.

I did try changing the HDMI, in the event that the one I was using wasn't HDCP compliant. No change.
Component is not an option, as the Genie client only accepts HDMI.

I should mention that this is not an issue with my other set-up, which has the main DirecTV receiver (Unfortunately, switching the two DirecTV receivers is not an option).

One final potential piece of diagnostic info....around that same time, I had a few odd moments of weird audio coming from the Denon receiver (centre channel audio disappeared for a while and the overall mix was wrong). I disconnected all the speaker terminals and everything seemed to be okay. Could this be a Denon receiver glitch?

Appreciate any help or next-step suggestions.

Cheers,

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 754
I've had the problem as well. It finally went away by itself. I make an assumption that it is a bug in the Genie 44. When I was hit with the problem it would come and go. I could always reset things by removing the HDMI cable from the Genie and then reconnecting it. After a couple of week of this hassle, the problem disappeared. If you call DirecTV they will suggest you use a non HDMI connection. That is obviously a cop out. Hang in there. Your issue may correct itself like mine did.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 04:18 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
No, more likely a DTV box issue which is quite common and also can be introduced with a firmware update to the DTV box so check to see if there was a DTV firmware update about the same time the issue presented. Work around is HDMI to the TV with optical to the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

I've had intermittent audio issues with the DirecTV receivers as well (both of them). So this doesn't surprise me completely.
In fact, from time to time, I continue to have audio problems.
For instance, the audio is fine watching a show recorded on the DirecTV PVR, but when I switch to a live channel feed, there's no audio.

I know Direct is constantly modifying the software for these receivers, but this is still frustrating!

As for switching to a non HDMI connection (component, as suggested), it's not even an option with the Genie 44, as it only has an HDMI out!

Sometimes I long for the days of one red, one white and one yellow connector wink.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 04:25 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
The work around I suggested will resolve your issues. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, was responding to FMW, when you posted, jd.
I suspected a firmware upgrade and I will check on the dates.
Your suggested work around is not ideal but I suppose it's better than having to turn gear on and off every time we want to watch TV!

Thanks.

e
post #7 of 7 Old 10-01-2014, 11:56 AM

Liked: 12
Greetings Stan, FMW: any update on this issue? I am having a very similar issue with a Genie client through a Yamaha RX-A3030 in zone 2. It will blink video on/off, and/or display the 'no HDCP - use component' message. But, it only does this if its Genie server is being played at the same time. If the Genie server isn't providing video, then the client works ok. Once the client is presenting video, then I can view the server and everything stays ok with both DTV receivers.

The server and client are connected to the same RX-A3030. Typically the client is the zone 2 source with the server the main zone source. If the main zone source is set to the Genie server, then the client won't show video when selected as the z2 source. If the main zone is watching AppleTV or the Blu-ray player, then the client can be selected in zone 2.

This configuration rules out connecting the client HDMI directly to the TV because there is only one HDMI cable to the TV (through walls) and that TV must be capable of selecting other sources.

I'd love to hear the current state of your experience. I see other reports of people having problems using the client through an A/V receiver. I'm hoping there's a real solution, and not the cop-outs of: go component or take the AVR out of the loop.

Thanks.

NJ Audioman
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page