Should I get a 2ch amp - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 76 Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Senior Member
 
cableguy301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post


d'oh....saw The Fugitive the other night. I make my own if you mean speaker wire with connectors, otherwise I just buy 14g speaker wire in bulk (usually 250 ft rolls so I don't need to do that very often), at the best price I can find....

 

 

  Connectors???   what kind of connectors???    you using tinned copper wire?   brass banana plugs? 

 

      you like that high end 14awg cable from monoprice.com

 

         did you make some nice jumpers too?

cableguy301 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 76 Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

d'oh....saw The Fugitive the other night. I make my own if you mean speaker wire with connectors, otherwise I just buy 14g speaker wire in bulk (usually 250 ft rolls so I don't need to do that very often), at the best price I can find....


  Connectors???   what kind of connectors???    you using tinned copper wire?   brass banana plugs? 

      you like that high end 14awg cable from monoprice.com

         did you make some nice jumpers too?

You like weird formatting of responses? smile.gif

I use banana plugs in some cases, bare wire in others. Didn't buy from monoprice although would have, but found a nice clearance elsewhere on some basic 14g wire last time I needed to re-stock. Jumpers as in sweaters? No, don't knit, sorry. You'll need to explain what you meant by that one otherwise.

lovinthehd is online now  
post #63 of 76 Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 77
He probably means the $100 per foot rca cables.
Just buy your cables/wire here and put a fancy label on them.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102

Or this is super high end.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Bi-amp, bi-wire magic. $6 each

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Square-Recessed-Twin-Speaker-Quad-4X-Gold-Plated-Binding-Posts-for-sub-woofer-/250951876425
kikkenit2 is online now  
post #64 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
cableguy301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post


You like weird formatting of responses? smile.gif

I use banana plugs in some cases, bare wire in others. Didn't buy from monoprice although would have, but found a nice clearance elsewhere on some basic 14g wire last time I needed to re-stock. Jumpers as in sweaters? No, don't knit, sorry. You'll need to explain what you meant by that one otherwise.

 

 jumpers   are used on 5way binding post...   the manufactures usually use gold plated brass..  so you remove this and use a nice

copper jumper.. or you can bi wire the 5 way post  with 14awg quad wire... perhaps your amp has 5 way binding post aswell..

 

  I personally like the 12 awg cable  just to have a little extra room in the pipe.. 

 

 

 

   better check out your speaker's jumpers mate!

cableguy301 is offline  
post #65 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
cableguy301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

He probably means the $100 per foot rca cables.
Just buy your cables/wire here and put a fancy label on them.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102

Or this is super high end.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Bi-amp, bi-wire magic. $6 each

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Square-Recessed-Twin-Speaker-Quad-4X-Gold-Plated-Binding-Posts-for-sub-woofer-/250951876425


that last link has a good example of a low level jumper .... full of brass..  do you know what the conductivity of brass is relative to copper?

 

     that your binding post?

cableguy301 is offline  
post #66 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jdcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Why change the jumpers for wire? Other than looks, what would be the purpose? It will not affect sound at all.
jdcrox is offline  
post #67 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,325
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post



that last link has a good example of a low level jumper .... full of brass..  do you know what the conductivity of brass is relative to copper?

     that your binding post?

No doubt copper conducts electricity better than brass, but that can be overcome by using a larger cross-section piece, and given the short length it doesn't matter anyhow.
arnyk is online now  
post #68 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post


that last link has a good example of a low level jumper .... full of brass..  do you know what the conductivity of brass is relative to copper?

     that your binding post?
After I posted that I realized what you meant by jumpers. Regardless of how well they work I find them on cheap and expensive
speakers alike. Especially center speakers that have dual midrange drivers. Polk even puts them on cheap bookshelf speakers like
the monitor 30. It probably doubles their sales using those jumpers.

There may be brass inside those gold plated (thin for sure) jumpers. Why would they use brass? The only thing I know about brass is
it doesn't corrode/rust very fast. That is why brass is used for survey monuments.

I never remove jumpers. Why? I studied passive bi-amping a lot. Unless the crossover circuit board inside that box is designed to be
be bi-amped it is worthless. In fact sending massive power to tweeters is usually a bad thing. Most internal crossovers need to be bypassed
to improve performance. I trust the manufacturer to include a suitable jumper. If you want to improve that connection so be it. The only advice
I give out is don't remove that connection. Active bi-amping is a different story.
kikkenit2 is online now  
post #69 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
cableguy301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post


No doubt copper conducts electricity better than brass, but that can be overcome by using a larger cross-section piece, and given the short length it doesn't matter anyhow.

 

 

   brass is about 28% the conductivity of copper  give or take because  different levels of impurities in the mixes...

 

   fe tin zinc cu   etc..

 

   yes a larger surface area will compensate for that..

 

    oh yes it matters it is resistance ... !

cableguy301 is offline  
post #70 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Look at the metal on the backside of the ebay link I posted. That looks like silvery potmetal
to me. The wire connecting the binding post to the crossover gets soldered on there. And
most of the other wires inside are super thin copper. Just like a chain. Where is the weakest link?
It is hidden from our eyes. Even most subwoofers have wimpy wires inside that box.
kikkenit2 is online now  
post #71 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
cableguy301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post
 

 

 

   brass is about 28% the conductivity of copper  give or take because  different levels of impurities in the mixes...

 

   fe tin zinc cu   etc..

 

   yes a larger surface area will compensate for that..

 

    oh yes it matters it is resistance ... !


best to replace your brass jumper to a copper one...

 

     don't want poor sound quality over a few pennies eh!

cableguy301 is offline  
post #72 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You like weird formatting of responses? smile.gif


I use banana plugs in some cases, bare wire in others. Didn't buy from monoprice although would have, but found a nice clearance elsewhere on some basic 14g wire last time I needed to re-stock. Jumpers as in sweaters? No, don't knit, sorry. You'll need to explain what you meant by that one otherwise.

 jumpers   are used on 5way binding post...   the manufactures usually use gold plated brass..  so you remove this and use a nice
copper jumper.. or you can bi wire the 5 way post  with 14awg quad wire... perhaps your amp has 5 way binding post aswell..

  I personally like the 12 awg cable  just to have a little extra room in the pipe.. 





   better check out your speaker's jumpers mate!

Yes, my avrs and most of my amps have 5-way posts but two pair of binding posts are not necessarily utilized on all speakers and not all speakers have jumpers accordingly, just those to placate those who feel that their bi-wiring/passive bi-amping are worth anything after reading silly reviews in audio magazines or "hearing" things about tweaks one can make....i.e. it's a waste of time and wire. Fortunately for my wallet my speaker designer didn't waste hardware money on silly bi-wiring/bi-amp posts and I have no plans to actively biamp my speakers in any case (but if I were to build my own speakers then I might want to play around with active bi-amping).

lovinthehd is online now  
post #73 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Troyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post


best to replace your brass jumper to a copper one...

     don't want poor sound quality over a few pennies eh!

You're joking right?
Troyd is offline  
post #74 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Badouri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post


   get some big mono block amps from emotive xpr 1s will get those speakers singing real nice!

Are you related to deltadube? smile.gif
lovinthehd and 67jason like this.
Badouri is offline  
post #75 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I feel like i'm on another forum beginning with p and ending in k.eek.gif
67jason likes this.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is online now  
post #76 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

I feel like i'm on another forum beginning with p and ending in k.eek.gif

+1.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
67jason is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread - Sr6008 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off