Looking to upgrade to a Emotiva UMC-200 from Yamaha A800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have been happy with the A800, I upgraded to a stand alone amp last year, so I thought of looking at a separate processor as I am no longer using the amp in my receiver.
Lots of good reviews on the UMC-200, any thoughts on the pro/con of doing this, or any other suggestions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 04:52 PM

Liked: 11
I have the UMC-200 and have tons of issues relating to the HDMI compatibility. I think the sound and price are both fine, but I will not be buying another processor from Emotiva. They simply do not have the same resources as Onkyo, Denon, etc to test for compatibility. It is workable, but each HDMI device I plug into this has its own set of quirks. I have gotten used to it, but it definitely does not have the wife acceptance factor for usability. If you have a more basic setup, it may work better for you though.

What are you looking to gain over your Yamaha? Sound quality? Features? If it is working fine for you, I wouldn't upgrade just to get rid of the amp section.

EDIT: Also, nothing against Emotiva in general. I love my XSP-1 and am mostly happy with my XPA-5.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback jruser. I am looking to improve my SQ, I have read good things about the UMC-200 in this area. I am also thinking of getting a used Anthem MRX-300 to use as a pre/pro for the great sound and room correction it has.
I am also using an XPA-5 for my amp.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I've owned 2 each LMC-1's - 2 UMC-1's - and 1 UMC-200. While I can say that with each iteration Emotiva got better its safe to say the rest of the field got better too. To the point where Emotiva got eclipsed. They make some very good amps - and I have a set of their reference speakers which I'm not turning loose of any time soon. But I won't be buying the XMC-1 when it comes out - at least for the $2000 they seem to think its worth. Too many other worthy competitors at that price - and they all have as good or better track record than Emotiva does in the processor market.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Knucklehead 90, do you have the Emotiva ERT 8.3 speakers? What are you running now for your pre/pro and amp?
What do think about using an MRX 300 for a pre/pro instead of the UMC-200?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-23-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I wouldn't bother as the 800 is good as a pre/pro. That said, I would take a look at the Anthem.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Been doing some research, I will look to get an Anthem for improved sound quality, better room correction and bass management. over the Yamaha.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Yamaha Rx A800 7 1 Channel Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - A800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page