Do any ONKYO AVR's have Sub EQ HT??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I have seen some of Onkyo's AVR's have Audyssey Mult EQ XT32, but I haven't found 1 that actually says it has Sub EQ HT. I know Denon makes receivers with Sub EQ HT, just wondering if Onkyo does and if not why?

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Current models NR1010, NR3010 and NR5010 have XT32 + SubEQ HT. The new 929 does XT32 but not SubEQ HT.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok thanx... Does it mention anywhere in the manual or website that the 1010, 3010, and 5010 have Sub EQ HT?

Shawn
post #4 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Ok thanx... Does it mention anywhere in the manual or website that the 1010, 3010, and 5010 have Sub EQ HT?

The 5010 does have EQHT, all other Onkyo models rely on a proprietary module called PMBass... Not sure how it's different or better or worse... Quite frankly nothing has really wow'ed me about Aud Sub EQ HT. You have mentioned you're pretty down on it. Can you sell me on it's usefulness...

The Onkyo 5010 is 2000$ on sale at Fry's BTW... Toroidal Transformer ftw!

post #5 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm not sold on the need for Sub EQ HT as a yes or no proposition. I think it depends on your situation. The vast majority of what EQ HT provides is in all AVRs with MultiEQ XT32. Sub EQ HT only provides separate volume and timing adjustments. That would be beneficial for different sounding subs and unequal distance from the MLP.

Personally the biggest in improvement in sound in my HT when I went with the Onkyo TX-NR929 with XT32 over XT was in the base. In fact now I might not bother fixing an identical second sub.

Patrick
post #6 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not saying its a deal breaker if an AVR doesn't have Sub EQ HT. I have an Onkyo 808 which only has Audyssey Mult EQ, I use that along with a Radio Shack Digital SPL Meter to Setup and Calibrate my 7.2 system I am happy with it but there is always that what if. So when I upgrade I wanna know how much importance to place on Sub EQ HT.

Shawn
post #7 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sub EQ HT helps integrate two subs into ones home theater. It will set delays and levels for each sub separately, after that Sub EQ HT's job is over. XT32 will then eq both subs as one. If you have only one sub then the Sub EQ HT won't make a difference for you. So if the receiver you are looking at has XT32 but no Sub EQ HT, you will still benefit from the increased filtering resolution of XT32 for the subwoofer.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

The 5010 does have EQHT, all other Onkyo models rely on a proprietary module called PMBass... Not sure how it's different or better or worse... Quite frankly nothing has really wow'ed me about Aud Sub EQ HT. You have mentioned you're pretty down on it. Can you sell me on it's usefulness...

The Onkyo 5010 is 2000$ on sale at Fry's BTW... Toroidal Transformer ftw!

The TX-NR1010, TX-NR3010, and TX-NR5010 (and presumably the DTR-70.4) all include SubEQ HT.

Per Mr. Audyssey himself (there is initially some misinformation in this thread, but scroll about 2/3 down the page):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kyriakakis View Post

Yes! Breaking News: Onkyo 1010, 3010 and 5010 will indeed have SubEQ HT. I'm sorry we didn't have this info earlier, but we are not always the first to know.

I just upgraded my beloved TX-SR805 to a TX-NR1010 for my 7.2 system and couldn't be happier. I was hesitant to swap out the 805/XT as I've always been thrilled with its performance... but the 1010/XT32 has definitely improved the sound characteristics in my room. The first time I demo'ed the recently revamped setup, even my wife noticed and asked (without prompting) why it sounded better. At the time, she had forgotten about the receiver upgrade and was focusing only on the new 3D projector.

At the prices they are currently selling for, the x010 line is an amazing bargain, IMO.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm not saying its a deal breaker if an AVR doesn't have Sub EQ HT. I have an Onkyo 808 which only has Audyssey Mult EQ, I use that along with a Radio Shack Digital SPL Meter to Setup and Calibrate my 7.2 system I am happy with it but there is always that what if. So when I upgrade I wanna know how much importance to place on Sub EQ HT.

if your subwoofer as located equidistant from one another to your MLP then Sub EQ isn't really an issue as it will be easy to set your delay and level manually. The important thing to know is by having XT32 your sub channel will still be EQ'd with the increased resolution that XT32 provides.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:

It seems your looking at it the same way I do. You'll probably hear such an improvement over MEQ to MEQXT32 that you'll not give a flip about if it has Sub EQHT... 

Also, don't get so caught up you miss out on other more usable features. Take these two amps, roughly the same price... The Onkyo 929 has 9ch, 135 watts, XT32, but no sub EQHT... the Denon x4000 has 7 channels 125 watts, but does have it... I'd rather have the extra power and 9 channels. 

I'd also add that Sub EQHT is not only usable with 2 subs, but 2 subs that can't be moved at all. Just moving a sub and inch or two can tweak what it does. I dunno... I'm not sure why it's not automatically included with 32XT, perhaps Audyseey is asking too much for it. I dunno...

post #11 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanx for all the info guys. I'm not necessarily thinking of upgrading yet but just wanted to learn some more.

Shawn
post #12 of 14 Old 06-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Xt32

So you guys are saying that XT32 is leaps and bounds above XT correct, I have four subwoofers (identical) so I'm not so concerned with SUB EQ but I am with XT32.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13 of 14 Old 06-17-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
So you guys are saying that XT32 is leaps and bounds above XT correct, I have four subwoofers (identical) so I'm not so concerned with SUB EQ but I am with XT32.
Cheers Jeff
I'll go on record and say that XT32 is only potentially leaps and bounds above XT. It depends on your room. You might not need that much room correction that XT32 offers. In my experience, few people do, but as it's getting more common, why not? Sub EQ can help even if you have matching subs. It matches up their time delay, and tunes them as one sub. You can do that yourself by moving them around, but SUBEQ makes it's a lot easier. Also, not all XT32 AVRs have Sub EQ installed. I think the Onkyo 3010, and 5010 do, but that's a wild guess.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
I'll go on record and say that XT32 is only potentially leaps and bounds above XT. It depends on your room. You might not need that much room correction that XT32 offers. In my experience, few people do, but as it's getting more common, why not? Sub EQ can help even if you have matching subs. It matches up their time delay, and tunes them as one sub. You can do that yourself by moving them around, but SUBEQ makes it's a lot easier. Also, not all XT32 AVRs have Sub EQ installed. I think the Onkyo 3010, and 5010 do, but that's a wild guess.
I really never cared for the results of XT, I have no experience with XT32. I'm looking at an Onkyo TX-NR1010 which has XT32 and SUB EQ, I can get it new for $975. I have four identical subs which are pretty much the same distance to the MLP, my room as far as I can tell is not a difficult setup. I'm planning on a speaker update as well, all identical 5.4 setup. The 1010 seems to have a very robust amp section and the speakers will be an easy load, I have outboard amps which I think I don't really need. I've always set things up manually with SPL meters and making sure all speakers and subs are placed with care. I would like to experience the effects of XT32, I have an Onkyo 809 now and have never used the amps in the receiver, it's been used exclusively as a preamp. I should just learn REW, buy a mic and be done with it, but the learning curve is very intimidating. TIA
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr1010 Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr3010 9 2 Channel Thx Certified Network A V Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Nr5010 9 2 Channel Thx Certified Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page