Denon AVR-2803 and Xbox One surround sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-25-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello. First time posting to the forums. I've been setting up and optimizing my home theatre after moving recently and have used these forums a lot. Couldn't see the answer to this questions so thought I'd make my first post.  I've just bought an Xbox One and have set it up with my older Denon Receiver an AVR-2803 and Samsung TV (UN55F6300). 

This receiver came out just before HDMI and therefore my current setup is as follows.

Xbox one ---> HDMI cable ----> TV  ---> Optical Cable ---> Receiver.

I was surprised to see that this mostly works with minimal configuration. I currently have stereo sound coming through all of my 5.1 speakers. I've entered the model for both my TV and Receiver into the Xbox and it is communicating because it turns both the TV and Receiver on and off appropriately.  In Xbox settings when I try to change the HDMI audio signal it says my receiver will not handle any of "Uncompressed 5.1", "Uncompressed 7.1" or "DTS Digital Surround".  I was under the impression that my receiver should handle all of those.  I'm not sure if the issue is that it's going through the TV but as stated above the Xbox IS able to send other signals along this pathway without issue.

Any suggestions and help would be really appreciated.

LANCE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

After 4 days attempting to Bump... 

post #3 of 4 Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The receiver cannot handle uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 because you would need an HDMI input for that.

The only way for that receiver you handle lossless uncompressed audio would be thru 7.1 analog inputs and your Xbox doesn't have 7.1 analog outputs.

optical cannot pass uncompressed audio.

And your TV probably cannot pass a DTS signal.

If you connect the optical cable from your Xbox One directly to the Denon 2803 you should be able to get standard Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. It wont be uncompressed though...

Afro GT
post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the reply. It was very helpful.

I think at this point I'm out of luck then but should be able to deal with this in the future.   To clarify a few points.  My TV does actually pass a DTS signal as I've done it with an WD Live TV. Unfortunately as of this moment Xbox One is unable to put out a Dolby Digital Signal.  At this time it is only a uncompressed signal. Microsoft will address this in an "upcoming" patch.  As expected they are unwilling to give a timeline on when "upcoming" might be. Many people, myself included, think that a lack of dolby digital support is a bit of a farce but what are you going to do.  I don't think this changes anything you said, I'll just have to wait for this patch to come out.

Again, thanks for the reply!

LANCE

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2803 Av Receiver 7 1 Channel , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Samsung Un55f6300 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread