Yamaha recievers that shutdown during loud passages (Might be the entire product line) - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Yamaha reciever shutdown when play scenes with loud bass such as explosions when volumes a
Yes 3 10.71%
No 21 75.00%
I bough my reciever to listen to music and movies at low volumes and I'm not going to risk my hearing or equipment to give you an answer. 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was able to go to bestbuy today and discover this issue is likely reproducible across much of their product line. I reproduced the issue of making the receiver shutdown by putting in my U-571 DVD into their Blu-ray player (I don't think brand or model matters) not send the audio to any speakers (did not feel like blowing out my ear drums or other people in the store since they don't have a amp to run it through to turn down the gain) and letting the player run the menu of U-571. Whenever it got to the right spot ( I don't remember the exact, and I don't think it matters as the menu loop is not that long) the receiver shut off. This happened with the RX-A830 and RX-A2030. That's why I feel this will happen across much of their product line. I still don't know the reason it does this, but I'm guessing it's some sort of a clipping safety protection. Just for kicks we feed the signal to another brand receiver, I think it may have been an Denon, I was not really paying attention since I didn't think it would have the issue.

The receiver will stay on as long as you like with the volume set to MAX. However if you feed in an audio signal and to my guess with sufficient low frequency (bass) the receiver will shutoff. If someone hooked up an oscilloscope I think they would be able to find an exact signal that would shut it down. This issue has been around for a while since it also happened to my V765 however at that time I just thought I had a defective receiver. I lived with the issue since it only occasionally happened in movies during loud explosions. However after purchasing a V773 I found the issue still exist.

I would also appreciate if anyone with a Yamaha receiver can test this scenario. And report back your receiver model.

Source Component (Blu-ray or DVD player)
connected to Yamaha receiver (Preferably via HDMI, not sure if the problem exist from other connections)
Output HDMI (1 if you have more than one, or even 2 maybe this does not even matter)

Play a scene with a loud explosion, pretty much any action movie with the receiver turned up to +7 or higher.

I've found a very repeatable source, the menu screen of U-571, when one of the depth charge goes off. Not totally sure which one, but the menu loop is only a minute or two. Turn the volume on the receiver to MAX and shortly the receiver will shutoff when the depth charge blows. If you have separate power amps, you might want to disconnect them. If you don't have separate amps you might want to disconnect your speakers. WARNING, I'm not responsible if you blow your ear drums or speakers doing this.

I've witnessed this behavior in the following Yamaha receivers

RX-V765
RX-V773
RX-A830
RX-A2030

Now I'm going to try to draft up a email that will not get a caned response back with the tech closing the issue. If anyone knows an engineer in Yamaha I would appreciate if the direct them to this forum and contact me. I would like have my receiver not shutdown with the ability to adjust the volume to MAX, apart from this I've been very happy with my decision to use Yamaha.

I know I can most likely solve this issue by purchasing higher power amps to hook up to the receiver. However with the exception of my receiver shutting down my system produces more than acceptable SPL's The only reason I turn up the volume on my Yamaha is so I can have a lower volume from my NAD T 761. I'm attempting to use the Yamaha as a preamp and control the volume through the NAD as the noise level is a bit higher in the NAD. I probably could skip my NAD all together but I like the sound from the NAD, and it does provide more clean power, at least on paper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Wow. Let the fun begin!
post #3 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 62
IMHO the you would get the same response from any receiver (with the same rated output at the same volume) assuming the protection circuitry is working.
At +7 you're asking for more power then they can safely provide.

Why does the like button have to have a heart icon?
post #4 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post

IMHO the you would get the same response from any receiver (with the same output at the same volume) assuming the protection circuitry is working.
At +7 you're asking for more power then they can safely provide.

I would agree with you if I was using the receiver to power speakers. But my case involves the receiver acting as a preamp. I've already tested this on another brand current receiver and not had the condition occur. Also in the past when I had a sub I had items fall off my wall and my NAD did not shutdown watching U-571. That's also why I choose to use the NAD as the amp as I've never hear it clip. It has a soft clipping feature to protect the speakers.
post #5 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Did you use the same NAD during all of your tests?

post #6 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, you don't even need to use a amp. You can do the test with just the Yamaha receiver and disconnecting the speakers. I did the test with the 2 higher end Yamaha units with the speakers disconnected. The sales person also though it was weird and did not feel that should happen.
post #7 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Was there an error msg on the front display when this happened?
post #8 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

Was there an error msg on the front display when this happened?

Nope, it shuts down. When you power it back on it operates as normal. Maybe there's a error message stored in the receiver however I don't know how to access it.
post #9 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 07:51 PM

Liked: 22
Given that your speakers were disconnected or you disconnected external amps, then most likely the pre-amp section is clipping and it causes the receiver to shut down. If you could measure the pre-out voltage at that exact moment, it would probably be close to clipping. I suspect the other receiver you tried did not have the pre-amp section that clipped under the same conditions. It is possible that Yamaha would be sending close to maximum pre-out voltage to your external power amps, and would probably drive them to rated power already.

Take a look at this review:

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/rx-a1010/rx-a1010-measurements

"My personal criteria for amplifier gain structure is that it should be able to hit full power when driven with 2Vrms. The RX-A1010 was able to deliver 2.8Vrms unclipped out of the analog multi channel outputs. Once I exceeded this output level, the auto protection circuits shut the receiver down. This is more than enough clean output voltage to drive any audio amplifier to clipping."

I suspect RX-A830 and RX-A2030 would measure close to RX-A1010. So it appears that this behavior was confirmed 3 years ago by measurements. It is possible that Yamaha technical support will provide you with similar response.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, this behavior is by design.
mark62 and Jack D Ripper like this.
post #10 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm betting the vast majority of Yamaha receiver owners aren't experiencing this, because they're not driving it to extraordinary levels.

Solution: turn it down a bit.
mark62 and AVGeek99 like this.
post #11 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 112
A couple of questions..
1. What the speaker impedance setting?
2. What is SPL that the AVR shuts down?

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #12 of 119 Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

I'd be curious to know the speaker sensitivity and distance to the MLP that would require a +7 volume.
At -15 even I find it too loud during peaks (HT).
I would assume your room is very large.

Edit: I re read your first post and answered the volume part of the above....Still curious about the other factors.

post #13 of 119 Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

Given that your speakers were disconnected or you disconnected external amps, then most likely the pre-amp section is clipping and it causes the receiver to shut down. If you could measure the pre-out voltage at that exact moment, it would probably be close to clipping. I suspect the other receiver you tried did not have the pre-amp section that clipped under the same conditions. It is possible that Yamaha would be sending close to maximum pre-out voltage to your external power amps, and would probably drive them to rated power already.

Take a look at this review:

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/rx-a1010/rx-a1010-measurements

"My personal criteria for amplifier gain structure is that it should be able to hit full power when driven with 2Vrms. The RX-A1010 was able to deliver 2.8Vrms unclipped out of the analog multi channel outputs. Once I exceeded this output level, the auto protection circuits shut the receiver down. This is more than enough clean output voltage to drive any audio amplifier to clipping."

I suspect RX-A830 and RX-A2030 would measure close to RX-A1010. So it appears that this behavior was confirmed 3 years ago by measurements. It is possible that Yamaha technical support will provide you with similar response.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, this behavior is by design.

Thanks for the article. I suspect this is exactly what is happening. Too bad I don't have the equipment to measure the voltage of the output. I would be really impressed and surprised if it put out more than 1V. I'm surprised to see the measured 2.8V, if I'm understanding correctly looking at the A1010 manual I see that the audio outputs are rated a 1V. The manual of the 773 lists the sub output to be 1V however does not list the rest.

Yes you were very clear, I figured it was likely working as designed as the issue exist in many of their receivers over a period of time. I just can't say that I agree with the design. I've never been aware of anyone else putting a clipping protection in the preamp, however I may be behind the times. I have never seen another receiver behave this way. I've seen enough amps and receivers shutdown due to thermal protection or shorting out.

Sebberry, I'm actually not driving high SPL levels, I'll get in more detail below. And if I turn it down I have to turn up my NAD to compensate which introduces noise into the equation. So far it would appear by my poll that at least 3 other people run their receiver at +7 or above.

M-Code,
1. Speaker impedance setting should not have any effect as no speakers are hooked up.
2. SPL would likely be close to 0 since i'm not using the amplifier section of the receiver and preamp output wont be able to push much out of speakers. Yes, I'm aware there are some very efficient speakers and can probably get a little sound out of a pre-amp, however I'm not trying to achieve this.

Brwsaw, actually my room is pretty small. I have not put my SPL meter on it, but I'd say I'm probably in the high 90's to low 100's SPL. The reason I want to crank the vol so high on the Yamaha is because I can hear a slight hum in my speakers when my NAD is above -5 so I usually like to have it about -20 to -10.
post #14 of 119 Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Clipping protection would probably be to avoid putting high voltage DC on the terminals should the output transistors fail. Those transistors are what keeps the power supply from overpowering the speakers, so if the output level goes too high the unit immediately turns off to save downstream equipment.

Plus, it's also a potential shock hazard as a user might wonder why they can't hear anything then fiddle with the speaker terminals. Or maybe a speaker failed.

If you want, you should put some real loads on the amp - a set of dummy loads or speakers then crank it up - unloaded is no way to test an amp.
post #15 of 119 Old 01-26-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, I was thinking about that tonight. However I don't have any speakers to put some load on. Also I would not want to put load on in the form of speakers as that would really mess up my audio as sound came from speakers besides the set I want to use. I'm guess anyone that uses the receiver as a pre-amp will not have speakers connected to the receiver.

I'm also starting to consider skipping the NAD and seeing if the Yamaha can drive my speakers. I've always hesitated from doing that as I've seen a pioneer AVR attempt to drive just 1 set of the same speakers (PSB Stratus Gold i) go into thermo protection and shutdown attempting to play about 100db. I know that the NAD handles them along with my center and rear channels. I big difference I noticed is the 773 stays much cooler than the 765 did. I always wondered why the 765 heated up since I was only using it as a preamp. The lack of space behind the receivers is holding me back from attempting to use the 773 to drive the speakers. My mains and rears are 4ohm which is why I worry about what drives them. I do realize the 773 is rated to 2 ohm.
post #16 of 119 Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Well this is why you don't use receivers in general as pre-amps, as many big box brands like Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha's pre-amp sections will clip if you go above 1Vrms.

If you have to use a receiver then you ought to use Marantz as their SR6xxx line and above can easily push 5Vrms+ through the pre-amp out. Your power amplifier will explode in flames before a Marantz receiver's pre-amp section clips.
post #17 of 119 Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 PM

As stated in Post #9, Yamaha RX-A1010 was measured to deliver 2.8 Vrms unclipped from pre-outs, and it should drive the overwhelming majority of external power amplifiers to rated power just fine. I suspect the other Yamaha AVRs would measure the same or very similar.

Here are some useful things to remember:

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-voltage-gain
post #18 of 119 Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Well, after talking to level2 tech, they believe the internal amp is still running, and clipping even though there's no load. And it shuts down because of that. There's no way the amp can be shutoff at this time or any expected time in the future. From what I understand the only way to use Yamaha receivers as a preamp is to only use it in conditions where the internal amp will not clip, even if there's no speakers using the internal amp. We are guessing their A5000 does not have that issue since it's a pre-amp only however I'm not looking to spend that. It would be a real bummer to switch away from Yamaha as I really like the features I get for the price. I guess it's time to return this and get something else. Actually hooking my 765 back up I found up I have shutdowns even at -7 which is what I had my 765 set at. So I'm thinking all the people who answered the poll "no" have not had the receiver high enough to cause the clipping shutdown condition.
post #19 of 119 Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 PM

The power amp is definitely not running and cannot clip. If Yamaha used a tubed output stage, then not having a load present would be a bad idea. With a solid state circuit, there is no current flowing if the speaker load is not present. As measured in the Audioholics review, the auto protection circuit shuts the receiver down once pre-out voltage exceeds 2.8 Vrms. And this has nothing to do with the power amp section.
post #20 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My Yamaha 663 shut down a few times playing bass heavy music running B&W 683's full range. I think the display said "protect" but I don't remember. I added an Emotiva XPA-5 and it obviously cleared up the issue. If I had been crossing over to my sub the issue might not even arose. I just play it safe anymore and continue to use the dedicated amp even if I might not have to. This way I never have to worry about the quality of the integrated amps in an AVR which can vary greatly from model to model and year to year...
post #21 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I try to avoid setting my receiver to such high levels. There's some issues with doing so

1) Over 0 is really really loud with a sufficiently hot signal - if you were playing something with a low signal, and you switch to a hot signal, you will get a very unpleasant "surprise" ( I have had it happen by mistake and never want to experience that again)
2) For normal programs, that's way beyond the receiver's capabilities

I actually set a cap on the Yamaha receivers which allow it of 0 or maybe -3. That should normally avoid shutdown, but I could think of situations where it might happen. For example, you could hit some crazy loud scene and a lower model might shut down due to overload protection.

I admit some old mono movies might call for louder volumes. Or some source with a low signal, like certain cassette tapes. But I would be careful with using high levels just because of what happens when you then switch to a normal signal by accident.

I have rarely had any Yamaha shut down. One did so, and was clearly in need of service, but it seemed quicker and cheaper to replace it. I have had others do so due to a wiring issues, a short, etc.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #22 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I try to avoid setting my receiver to such high levels. There's some issues with doing so

1) Over 0 is really really loud with a sufficiently hot signal - if you were playing something with a low signal, and you switch to a hot signal, you will get a very unpleasant "surprise" ( I have had it happen by mistake and never want to experience that again)

I actually set a cap on the Yamaha receivers which allow it of 0 or maybe -3. That should normally avoid shutdown, but I could think of situations where it might happen. For example, you could hit some crazy loud scene and a lower model might shut down due to overload protection.

I admit some old mono movies might call for louder volumes. Or some source with a low signal, like certain cassette tapes. But I would be careful with using high levels just because of what happens when you then switch to a normal signal by accident.

I have rarely had any Yamaha shut down. One did so, and was clearly in need of service, but it seemed quicker and cheaper to replace it. I have had others do so due to a wiring issues, a short, etc.

You have to factor OHM drops on a particular speaker and not just volume setting... I also have a habit of turning the volume down between switching tracks just to avoid unpleasant surprises, heh...
post #23 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.tam View Post

Nope, it shuts down. When you power it back on it operates as normal. Maybe there's a error message stored in the receiver however I don't know how to access it.

From the "Self-Diagnostic Function" you can see the protection history, where it records the reason for the last few shutdowns. Also, if it goes into protection three times in a row it will refuse to turn on again until you clear the condition (and it's not documented how to do that in the user manual).

Not sure if anyone has the Service Manuals for the current models, which describe these things. But I can dig out the A3000 SM tonight, and the self-diagnostic function probably works the same way.
post #24 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

My Yamaha 663 shut down a few times playing bass heavy music running B&W 683's full range. I think the display said "protect" but I don't remember. I added an Emotiva XPA-5 and it obviously cleared up the issue. If I had been crossing over to my sub the issue might not even arose. I just play it safe anymore and continue to use the dedicated amp even if I might not have to. This way I never have to worry about the quality of the integrated amps in an AVR which can vary greatly from model to model and year to year...

The Yamaha 663 is only rated at 95watts/channel. I have a 2400 which is rated at 120watts. In a magazine, with all channels driven, the actual power output was tested at only 35 watts before clipping. Your 663 weighs 25 lbs. Obviously the amp has a small power supply so figure the real power would be in the 20-watt range with all channels driven. It's not going to take much to clip the amps into protection, especially with B&W speakers which usually are low impedance speakers which taxes most amps.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #25 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 92
That's if all channels were driven at the same time with the same power needs. Not sure that actually happens.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #26 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

I was only playing stereo 2-channel when the shut downs occurred.
post #27 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Its only because I'm curios that I ask you to provide the distance to your speakers from your MLP and to reconfirm the SPL when the shut down happens. I know I seen it somewhere but if you could reconfirm the model and brand of speaker this would be of interest as well.

post #28 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

From the "Self-Diagnostic Function" you can see the protection history, where it records the reason for the last few shutdowns. Also, if it goes into protection three times in a row it will refuse to turn on again until you clear the condition (and it's not documented how to do that in the user manual).

Not sure if anyone has the Service Manuals for the current models, which describe these things. But I can dig out the A3000 SM tonight, and the self-diagnostic function probably works the same way.

Please let me know if you can tell me how to get into the self-diagnostic's I cant seem to find that anywhere. While trying to adjust the volume right on the 773 I did actually shutdown 3 or 4 times and now it wont turn back of. I would appreciate it if you can tell me how to clear it. Otherwise it's going back and I'll wait to see if I can find a different receiver for the price I want or maybe in the future Yamaha will have higher power line outs that will work for me.

I've went back to using my 765. I actually still get shutdowns at -7 however much less often. And it's usually during an intense scene with lots of gun shots and explosions.
post #29 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Actually I'm set at -7 on my 765 and still get shutdowns in some loud scenes.
post #30 of 119 Old 01-30-2014, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

As stated in Post #9, Yamaha RX-A1010 was measured to deliver 2.8 Vrms unclipped from pre-outs, and it should drive the overwhelming majority of external power amplifiers to rated power just fine. I suspect the other Yamaha AVRs would measure the same or very similar.

Here are some useful things to remember:

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-voltage-gain

Unfortunately it appears that its too easy for me to hit 2.8V output at levels I like to set my receiver at.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A830 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Home Theater Receiver , U 571 Blu Ray , Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page