Too many receiver choices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am new to the forums and very confused. I have an older NAD 320 BEE integrated amp that I love the sound of. It is hooked up to older PSB alpha B speakers. I have a nice Panasonic plasma now and am interested in converting my system to 5.1. I would like to buy a receiver in the 1 k range and was thinking about adding additional PSB speakers for the 5.1. I have looked at the NAD 757 and can get it for a good price < $900 but looking at the forums have scared me away a bit. Also looked at Pioneer sc xl 57. Any guidance or other suggestions would help me tremendously. I currently have a yamaha rx 475 that was an open box item but was going to give that to my son. Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258

I personally would go with Yamaha.  In fact, I have gone with Yamaha.  If you want the most value for your money, buy a discontinued item that is being sold at a closeout price.  For example:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA1020/Yamaha-RX-A1020.html

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A1020-7-2-Channel-AVENTAGE-Receiver/dp/B0087KGMZW/

That was the third to the top model last year (i.e., last year, there were two models higher than it from Yamaha).

What you should do is consider what features you really need, and what other features you would like, and then look for models that have those features.

In my opinion, Yamaha has a good feature set for the money, and they seem to be as reliable as you can get.  But I would consider some other brands if the price was right, like Marantz and Denon.  In all cases, though, you need to look carefully to make sure that whatever you are buying has the features you want.  It is a good idea to download the owner's manual of whatever you are thinking of buying and reading it before you buy.  I know, owner's manuals are typically not fun reading, but it can help you avoid troublesome mistakes.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Jack thank you for the input. Any opinion about pioneer or marantz products. Also, am curious on what people think about the NAD. I have been studying the forums to see what I need regarding features and am still learning. Music is important to me and I also don't want to short myself regarding home theater. Looking for the best balance I guess.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

It is hard to get accurate data on reliability of various gear.  What one can do is notice which brands people tend to complain about most online, and what brands people don't tend to complain about as much.  Unfortunately, that is not a good scientific way to determine how reliable they really are, but it is the best I have found for this (other than other sorts of unsatisfactory methods, like talking with my brother who repairs gear for a living).

I would have no problem with going with Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer, or Denon.  I would not go with Onkyo or NAD.

It is your money and your choice.  At the price you are wanting, I would buy the Yamaha at the first link of my previous post.

As far as sound quality goes, you are not going to be likely to be able to hear any difference between any of these brands if they are level matched and if they are identically set.  With different settings, of course, they will sound different.

dmarqueset likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 04:52 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

It is hard to get accurate data on reliability of various gear.  What one can do is notice which brands people tend to complain about most online, and what brands people don't tend to complain about as much.  Unfortunately, that is not a good scientific way to determine how reliable they really are, but it is the best I have found for this (other than other sorts of unsatisfactory methods, like talking with my brother who repairs gear for a living).

I would have no problem with going with Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer, or Denon.  I would not go with Onkyo or NAD.

It is your money and your choice.  At the price you are wanting, I would buy the Yamaha at the first link of my previous post.

As far as sound quality goes, you are not going to be likely to be able to hear any difference between any of these brands if they are level matched and if they are identically set.  With different settings, of course, they will sound different.

+1

I am partial to Yamaha myself. Jack's last statement is very true. I have an old RX-V1600 and will upgrade to an A2030 fairly soon.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

would have no problem with going with Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer, or Denon.  I would not go with Onkyo or NAD.

Why not Onkyo?
post #7 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post

Why not Onkyo?

Numerous HDMI board problems to this day. It seems to be a problem they won't admit to.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
The Marantz SR5008 with Audyssey MultEQ XT would be another good choice.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you JD for your input also. I have been researching and the forums have been helpful. I have taken Jacks advice and looking at some of the owners complaints.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch816 View Post

Thank you JD for your input also. I have been researching and the forums have been helpful. I have taken Jacks advice and looking at some of the owners complaints.

It should not take you long to find people complaining about Onkyo regarding overheating and HDMI board failures.  Maybe Onkyo sometimes makes a poor design, or maybe people who buy Onkyo receivers are whiny complainers.  Or maybe there is a vast conspiracy by their competitors to smear their good name by hiring people to post online complaints about them making junk.;)  Regardless, I would not buy Onkyo.  Of course, I also have my brother who repairs gear for a living who has told me stories about various things he has seen come in for repair.  He has never warned me not to buy Yamaha.

post #11 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 AM

Not sure if i can post this but i am looking for a receiver that's Yamaha without airplay sub 500 dollars would love some input
post #12 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskycub View Post

Not sure if i can post this but i am looking for a receiver that's Yamaha without airplay sub 500 dollars would love some input

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V673-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B007JF85WE/

You can go cheaper if you want.  What you should get depends on what features you wish to have.

post #13 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I have 3 Yamaha receivers that have never given me any problems. I have one Onkyo that's had a plethora of issues. I can assure you, I'm not paid by anyone to bad mouth Onkyo.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V673-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B007JF85WE/

You can go cheaper if you want.  What you should get depends on what features you wish to have.

I saw that one but it has airplay i don't want that feature, thinking that i can get a cheaper one without that feature
post #15 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskycub View Post

Quote:

I saw that one but it has airplay i don't want that feature, thinking that i can get a cheaper one without that feature

Just because a receiver has a feature, that does not mean you have to use it.  If you insist on not having AirPlay in it, you need to buy the bottom of the line Yamaha, as anything higher will have it.  See the charts at these links:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V373-5-1-Channel-AV-Receiver/dp/B007JF8FD8/

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V375-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B00B981F38/

The RX-V373 is the old version, now replaced by the RX-V375, so as you can see from the charts, this has been the case for a while, that only the bottom of the line lacks AirPlay.

You could also look at the bottom of their HTR line.  The HTR line is sold through a different set of retailers than the RX-V line, but they are comparable.  Sometimes, there is a slight difference in features, but generally, the differences are minor and cosmetic.

post #16 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
It's bigger, better, and cost less. Good luck finding something better for the price. If you don't live in Canada that is. They don't ship to Canada.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CKra9I-Yn7wCFQxo7Aod3FIAfQ&Item=N82E16882115377&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Receivers-_-N82E16882115377&ef_id=UuZsXAAAAJkAIhdz:20140127202525:s
post #17 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM

perfect thanks
post #18 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

It's bigger, better, and cost less. Good luck finding something better for the price. If you don't live in Canada that is. They don't ship to Canada.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CKra9I-Yn7wCFQxo7Aod3FIAfQ&Item=N82E16882115377&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Receivers-_-N82E16882115377&ef_id=UuZsXAAAAJkAIhdz:20140127202525:s

Great price and reliable.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Nad T 787
Gear in this thread - V475 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page