Improving Music Sound on Denon AVR 1913 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I'm looking to get the most out of music on my current system. I currently have a Denon AVR 1913 with 2 Definitive bookshelf speakers, a Definitive center and Definitive Sub. I plan to add more speakers over time - probably towers for the front left and right. I currently play most music through pandora but will begin listening to more cds (building a classical collection). For now, I play Cds through an average Samsung BD player. I'm trying to figure out the best direction to head with all this and it seems like bypassing the AVR receiver is the best way to go.

Should I get the OPPO BDP 105 (it would give me benefit of improved BD player, CD Player, and better audio?) OR

should I get a dedicated amp for stereo? Like the Marantz MM7025? If I went this route, would I be ok to keep using my BD player for CDs or would I want to get a standalone CD Player for it?

THanks for any help. Not overly worried about budget as it will be an investment over time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 346
The Denon 1913 doesn't have preamp outputs for the main channels so adding an amp wont work.

Your current BD player should be just fine for CD's since you probably have it connected via HDMI or optical.

Afro GT
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

If you are not happy with your current sound quality, you should look at your audio processing settings and placement of speakers and room acoustics.  If all of that is fine, then you should look for new speakers (including subwoofer).  The receiver and BD player are going to be able to give you nearly perfect sound when operating within their design limits.  The speakers will not do that, and your room also likely isn't an ideal concert hall.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and it's encouraging to hear that my setup might be just fine. It's a little confusing though as I'm reading in a lot of other threads about how an AVR receiver is not ideal for stereo sound and they recommend "bypassing" with an alternate 2ch dedicated receiver....sure I got the lingo wrong but I hope you get what I mean.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkHux View Post

Thanks for the replies and it's encouraging to hear that my setup might be just fine. It's a little confusing though as I'm reading in a lot of other threads about how an AVR receiver is not ideal for stereo sound and they recommend "bypassing" with an alternate 2ch dedicated receiver....sure I got the lingo wrong but I hope you get what I mean.

There is a lot of BS nonsense that people say online.  They say it offline, too.

There have been plenty of tests that show that people are very prone to the placebo effect.  Among other things, it works in audio, medicine, and wine tasting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/world/americas/15iht-wine.1.9221093.html?_r=1&

The wine article is well worth reading, even if you have no interest in wine.

If you want to read a bunch about audio, here is a place to start:

http://numeralnine.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/a-brief-guide-to-audio-for-the-skeptical-consumer/

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quick correction : I actually have a Denon 1912, not a 1913....assuming I still don't have the preamp outs?

Also, would the KEF Q900s be a good choice for floorstanding with this amp? Recall, I currently have 2 Definitive bookshelves (SM55s) a Definitive Sub and the CS 80-40HD center.

Thanks for any advice!

post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2014, 05:05 PM

I have the Denon 1612 and it is wonderful for music of all types. Your speakers are a good match for your 1912 and as mentioned before check your settings for stereo sound. I notice that Pandora has such a low bit rate on some music that I don't bother with it anymore. I turn all processing off when I listen to 2 channel. The KEF Q900s will work fine on the Denon but you might find that your center channel CS8040 HD might not be a good match. The 1912 has zone 2 so using a set of Q900s just for stereo on zone 2 is also possible.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-28-2014, 06:13 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkHux View Post

Quick correction : I actually have a Denon 1912, not a 1913....assuming I still don't have the preamp outs?

Also, would the KEF Q900s be a good choice for floorstanding with this amp? Recall, I currently have 2 Definitive bookshelves (SM55s) a Definitive Sub and the CS 80-40HD center.

Thanks for any advice!

The 3313CI and 3312CI were the lowest level models in their respective year groups that have main zone pre-outs, so no, the 1912 does not have pre-outs either. The KEF Q900s are relatively easy to drive and so would be a good match with the 1912.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Marantz Mm7025 Stereo Power Amplifier Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page