Convert onkyo 805 to amp only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-27-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an onkyo 805 with what I suspect is a failed hdmi board, however the amp section works great. Is it possible to make the receiver act as an amp only and hook it up to a processor? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 PM

Liked: 29
I'm not the best one to answer this question but I think you could hook the pre-amp's rca outputs to the 805's multi-channel inputs.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

That is what I was thinking as well but if I have no video output at all from the 805, is it as simple as hooking up the rca's multi ch in's to the 805 to the inputs on the processor, or would I have to configure something in the 805? The 805's front display also doesn't work so I truly have no way to use it if I would have to configure anything in the. 805.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 PM

Liked: 13
I'm using an old 805 for extra channel amplification for my Denon 11 channel receiver. The Denon will process 11 channels but only has 9 amps. I'm using the 805 to drive 5 channels and the Denon's internal amps to drive the other 6. It works just like you said. Just have to be sure to select Multich on the onkyo and your set. I have a harmony one remote that turns them both on and off at the same time.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walternate View Post

I'm using an old 805 for extra channel amplification for my Denon 11 channel receiver. The Denon will process 11 channels but only has 9 amps. I'm using the 805 to drive 5 channels and the Denon's internal amps to drive the other 6. It works just like you said. Just have to be sure to select Multich on the onkyo and your set. I have a harmony one remote that turns them both on and off at the same time.

So it's just as simple as hooking up the rca multi in's from the 805 to the rca pre out's on the processor and that's it? I don't have to go to in to a menu on the 805?

If I need to go in to a menu on 805 that's not going to be possible because I have no video output or front display on 805.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 351
nope you don't need a menu. just connect to the multichannel inputs and change the input selector to multichannel in.

If you cant see that on the receiver display hit the audio select button until you get what you're listening for...

I didn't bother to download your manual. But if you need one you can find it here.
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/TX-SR805_875_B_En.pdf

Afro GT
post #7 of 10 Old 01-28-2014, 09:45 AM

I just checked my setup and unfortunately you will need at least the front display to setup multi channel on the 805. You have to assign an input button to use it. In my case I used the vcr button and had a SACD/DVD-A player connected to the multi inputs. If you were using the multi channel inputs before then you would be able to use that input button again and use audio sel to activate. If not then it would be some trial and error to turn it on. If you like I could go through the button sequence that would turn it on for the DVD input button. Although you will also want to set your 805's volume control to come on at a set volume at start up. Again just another sequence of button pushes. But it's set point would have to be a guess. A working display would be much easier of course

The fix for the display is here http://www.avsforum.com/t/857502/the-onkyo-tx-sr805-thread/17300_100#post_15249416 it would be a very easy fix, even if you only have moderate soldering skills. Although some people have tried it and it still didn't work, several other have had success.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 AM

Liked: 10
Hey apowers3....Were you able to run the 805 as an amp only? I just bought an Oppo 105D....and I was thinking of running all the processing through the Oppo and just using the Onkyo 805 for its powerful amplifier section. I wanted to know if you were successful with your experiment. Thanks.

P.S. I also PM'd you with the same question. smile.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 03-01-2014, 09:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walternate View Post

I just checked my setup and unfortunately you will need at least the front display to setup multi channel on the 805. You have to assign an input button to use it. In my case I used the vcr button and had a SACD/DVD-A player connected to the multi inputs. If you were using the multi channel inputs before then you would be able to use that input button again and use audio sel to activate. If not then it would be some trial and error to turn it on. If you like I could go through the button sequence that would turn it on for the DVD input button. Although you will also want to set your 805's volume control to come on at a set volume at start up. Again just another sequence of button pushes. But it's set point would have to be a guess. A working display would be much easier of course

The fix for the display is here http://www.avsforum.com/t/857502/the-onkyo-tx-sr805-thread/17300_100#post_15249416 it would be a very easy fix, even if you only have moderate soldering skills. Although some people have tried it and it still didn't work, several other have had success.

So Walternate....using this procedure, you were able to bypass the volume control of the Onkyo, thus turning them into amps only, and controlling processing/volume via the Denon? I also PM'd you with the same question. Thanks in advance.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-01-2014, 03:40 PM

It doesn't bypass the Onkyo volume control, if you turn the dial you will change the volume. However you can setup the Onkyo to always power on at any volume you want. I used 0dB which gave me pretty even trims compared to the Denon's internal amps. It's really easy if you have a working display, something the OP didn't have.

As far as your Oppo I think it would work great for that. Try it, you have nothing to lose right? I'm assuming you already have an 805.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page