Good Speaker Choice for Pioneer SC-68 Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-27-2014, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I'm searching for new front left and right speakers that would be a good match for the SC-68. Has anyone done any speaker experimentation with the SC-68 and could recommend a good match. I am considering a pair of Totem "The One" speakers, but wonder if they might be too detailed for the SC-68.

Thans in advance for your feedback.

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-27-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 746
While you might pick an avr's amp section to be appropriate for your speakers, can't imagine how a speaker could be "too detailed" for your avr; since you're seeking input for speakers you should post this in the speakers forum in any case. Your speakers and room are far bigger influences on your end results than the avr. From what I see on the Model 1 they're 4 ohm speakers but your avr looks to be suited for such. What other speakers are you using? What sub? Speakers similar in size to these you might look at are the Sierra-1s or the almost-released Sierra-2's from Ascend.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-27-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

My current speakers are all PSB including the sub. The two fronts are the Image 2Bs. I thought about posing the question in the speaker forum; however, I was hoping to hear from SC-68 owners so I posted here instead. It was suggested to me that the Totems can sometimes expose the flaws in a system and I wondered if anyone has (or has auditioned) Totems (specifically the "The One" Totem speaker) with an SC-68.

Thans for your suggestions; I'll look at the Sierras.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

What kind of flaws is this Totem Model 1 speaker supposedly adept at "exposing"? These types of flaws being exposed are limited to this specific model avr? Sounds like audiophool bs to me. Even if someone else with the same avr and speakers pipes up, would you be familiar with their room or tastes?

post #5 of 7 Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the review with the specific quote. I'm not into super expensive equipment, wires, etc. and he seems to be saying that one would perhaps not enjoy Totems if they are connected to less than "high end" equipment.

Canada HiFi Magazine review:
http://www.canadahifi.com/Totem_Acoustic_The_One_Speakers_review.php

This quote from the review concerns the matching of the electronics and cables:
They are also fussy about the electronics you use to feed them and the cabling throughout the system. That's because they are extremely revealing. They will reward every improvement you make in your system, and punish you for every subpar component you may have. They are not the least forgiving - in fact they are brutally honest. You need high bandwidth, high resolution, low distortion equipment to accompany them, and you need equipment that can reveal the image depth and all the other special cues of the music you are playing.

I suppose that could be considered audiophool bs, but I'll be investing a fair bit on the Totems so I thought I would get other views.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 700
I highly recommend ignoring nonsensical reviews like this one. Speakers are noisier, higher in distortion and vary far more from a flat frequency response than any high fidelity amplifier. This is true 100% of the time with 100% of speakers and 100% of modern solid state hifi amplifiers. One would assume that the reviewer knows this elementary information about sound reproduction gear and is simply writing something that will get him future opportunities to review gear by misleading his readers.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, that review is audiophool BS. I'd look around these forums for opinions on the Totems more so than this "professional" review and look at/listen to other speakers, too.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 68 9 2 Channel Thx Ultra 2 Plus A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page