Onkyo owner failed HDMI board poll - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: I own an Onkyo AVR or pre-amp and...
I have experienced a failed HDMI board 77 58.33%
my Onkyo has been problem free 36 27.27%
I own another brand AVR and it had its own failure/problems 5 3.79%
I own another brand AVR and it's been problem free 17 12.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I currently have four Onkyo AVRs. 2 have failed HDMI boards. My TX-NR616 refurbished, and my PR-SC5508 purchased new - both have failed HDMI problems. A cheapo HTIB type Onkyo I have and my TX-NR1007 both still work fine with no HDMI problems - My old TX-SR805 I sold to my brother never had a problem either. I'm wondering how common these problems are among the community. I admit to thinking the problem was probably overstated - but 2 out of 4 of mine? My cousins just failed too, after I recommended he buy an Onkyo in one of the cheap 616 refurb sales -- obviously the problem was not fixed when they were refurbished -- at least not fixed long term. What are other member's experiences?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 707 is failing right now, after 4.5 years. Never again.
post #3 of 47 Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM

I went through 4 hdmi boards in my 708 last year. Onkyo just sent me a 727. We'll see how long this one last.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
post #4 of 47 Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
My TX-NR929 runs very cool. My older Integra DTC 9.8 ran very hot. At some point they fixed this, I just don't know when. I would like to hear about temperature readings of later models.

My Integra is still running fine, albeit with improved ventilation. My even older Onkyo also runs hot but is also running fine.

Patrick
post #5 of 47 Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In an effort to balance the gripe-fest that this thread will inevitably become...

My 805 (purchased NIB) and 507 (refurb) are without issue. The 506 (refurb) I purchased for my parents 5ish years ago has also been problem free and it's probably been powered up an average of 10-12 hours/day (parents are retired) since put in use. And lastly, I recommended a 508 (refurb) to a friend a couple of years ago and it also hasn't had any issues. So, my failure rate is 0%.

I may even be 0-5 on failures. A friend, since moved away and downsized into a Florida retirement community, bought an 805 shortly after I did (early 2008). If he had any problems, I wasn't made aware of them.

-Brent
post #6 of 47 Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 AM

I had the hdmi board on my 707 replaced under warranty. Since then, I wired up a small computer case fan to turn on when ever the receiver is on - I have it pointed right at the hdmi board. The last 3 years of operation have been trouble free.

Andrew
post #7 of 47 Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 AM

I used an old-school TX-SR600 (pre-HDMI) for way too long before replacing it with a TX-NR609 a few years ago. These units get daily use in my living room and neither ever missed a beat.

I ran a TX-SR805 in my HT until recently replacing it with a TX-NR1010. Firmware updates were a hassle on the 805, but otherwise it performed flawlessly the entire time it was in service. The 805 ran fairly warm, but my equipment rack has good ventilation so I never added any additional cooling fans.
post #8 of 47 Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I used my Ht-r270 as a pre/pro. Never had the amps connected.

It lasted a whopping 2.5 years. After talking to Onkyo tech, it's headed to the firing range smile.gif

Never will I buy another Onkyo product.

Alan

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #9 of 47 Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cruzin,

My understanding is Onkyo will give you a one time out of warranty fix on the HDMI boards because it has become such a problem. Is that not what the Onkyo tech told you?

Problem is - with the refurbs failing too for the same reason --- are they fixing with the same ticking time bomb parts?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #10 of 47 Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 PM

i also have a 270 that is in the process of croaking. everytime i turn it on it throws fits and will not let the sound through. i have to either turn it on and off several times or plug the audesy microphone in and pull it out to get it to work. it took onkyo 1 week to contact me in regards to this problem, i left messages on their forums and emailed 2 different people. i have already replaced it with a pioneer vsx 1023 i got off woot for $302 shipped. no more onkyo for me
post #11 of 47 Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Cruzin,

My understanding is Onkyo will give you a one time out of warranty fix on the HDMI boards because it has become such a problem. Is that not what the Onkyo tech told you?

Problem is - with the refurbs failing too for the same reason --- are they fixing with the same ticking time bomb parts?

I asked tech support about the one time replacement repair.
The answer was ,if you have your receipt from almost 3 years ago,maybe.
Kept the receipt for a couple of years,then the other half tossed it.
At this point, I don't have much trust in onkyo,so doesn't really matter.

Alan

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #12 of 47 Old 01-29-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
My 606 had hdmi failure just after the 2 year warranty expired. I relegated it to component video use. Then component video failed. I then relegated it to toslink only and then that failed. Now I can't use it for anything except stereo inputs and radio. Maybe I should look into getting the HDMI fixed, My hunch is at a minimum, I would have to pay for shipping so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Onkyo gives you more features for the $, but you get what you pay for.
post #13 of 47 Old 01-29-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I currently have four Onkyo AVRs. 2 have failed HDMI boards. My TX-NR616 refurbished, and my PR-SC5508 purchased new - both have failed HDMI problems. A cheapo HTIB type Onkyo I have and my TX-NR1007 both still work fine with no HDMI problems - My old TX-SR805 I sold to my brother never had a problem either. I'm wondering how common these problems are among the community. I admit to thinking the problem was probably overstated - but 2 out of 4 of mine? My cousins just failed too, after I recommended he buy an Onkyo in one of the cheap 616 refurb sales -- obviously the problem was not fixed when they were refurbished -- at least not fixed long term. What are other member's experiences?

So I must recant my suspicion of failure. I setup an appt. with Onkyo Tech Support today and had a very helpful tech on the other end of the phone! He fixed my On Screen Display issue on the PR-SC5508 with a factory reset walk through. (even he was amazed that worked), and the 616 he says will be fixed when I've updated to the newest firmware, disabled deep color and disabled auto 24FPS on Blu-ray and DVDs in my Sony bluray player. He asked me my model of bluray player (it is a new one to me) and said there is a known HDMI handshake issue with my Sony unit and that it is documented well and the problem isn't with HDMI, but rather the communication between those two devices. He said I should be problem free now but I can't test until the firmware is updated on the 616. I'm very pleased that I didn't have to send either of these units in for repair and the problems could be mitigated over the phone! Hats off to a good customer support department when you can finally get a hold of them!
htpcforever likes this.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #14 of 47 Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 AM

My TX-NR818 has had the HDMI board replaced twice in 1.5 yrs I've had it. I'm pissed and want them to extend warranty but they won't. I almost hope it fails again in the next 5 months so I can escalate the hell out of it.

Feel like I wasted $1100
post #15 of 47 Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Greetings,

The HDMI board in my TX-NR818 failed after 1.5 years of very light use in my living room system. It was recently repaired under warranty and returned to me. It seems to be working fine.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #16 of 47 Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I had two TX-NR905s and a TX-NR906... All three failed, the TX-NR906 actually failed twice....

Happy with my new Pioneer SC67....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #17 of 47 Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Hi Archaea

TX-NR1007

HDMI board failure occured progressively over a period of about 5 or 6 weeks (time of death: late July '13). This was after 2 years of solid daily use with HDMI-CEC engaged 100% of time. The full story is starts here if you're interested. Repaired promptly under a 3 year Australian warranty and no issues since. Strangely, I still love the old girl...
post #18 of 47 Old 03-02-2014, 05:22 PM

This HDMI issue is a brand killer if Onkyo isn't very aggressive on support.

I've owned Panasonic AVR, Harmon Kardon AVR, Denon flagship AVR, Denon lower end AVR, Anthem AVM30 pre/pro, and most recently the Onkyo pro/pro PR-SCR5508 (I'm sure there are few more I'm not recalling).... in all this time... the only one that died on me is the Onkyo (after 2.5 years).

I would have just been frustrated and figured failures happen and gone on, until I saw the amount of similar HDMI issues via google. Now, I'm pretty pissed.

For me... it appears to be HDMI (happened over 1 week)... I have connected support and waiting on reply.

Actually, regardless of the support's actions... I'm on the lookout now for a new pre/pro.
post #19 of 47 Old 03-02-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Started with an Integra 80.1, sold it within a year for an 80.2. HDMI failure, Goodbye Integra, Hello Marantz.

post #20 of 47 Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM

Liked: 11
Add me to the list. Failed HDMI board on my Integra. I'm the original owner but since I'm out of warranty, Integra refused any goodwill gesture on these defective parts. I'll never recommend Integra/Onkyo to anyone ever again. Buyer beware.
post #21 of 47 Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Started with an Integra 80.1, sold it within a year for an 80.2. HDMI failure, Goodbye Integra, Hello Marantz.

My 906 board failed - I got a new one and then it sat in storage for over 2 years. I finally swapped out my HK520 with it and been about a year now - so far so good so the repair worked but....... if /when the board goes again I'm getting a Marantz as well.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #22 of 47 Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
My HT-RC180 was a reconditioned unit bought from A4L & after 29 months, the hdmi board failed & Onkyo did a one time out of warranty repair & it's been fine since; oth I wanted to upgrade to XT32 since I got new speakers & bought a new 818 & after 5 days it developed a thump in the sub every time the listening mode changed, even did in my Polk A7s when I turned the sub off & put them on Full Band, so it went back & a replacement is arriving today. Really do hope this is the end of all but one can never tell with Onkyo I suppose! eek.gif

Just wanted to update my post since I've received & set up the replacement 818, after everything there's still a thump when the listening mode changes while watching tv on Dish network, maybe not as pronounced, sooo, bought new hdmi cables & that didn't help, so finally dawned on me to look into the 722k's audio setup & fiddle there & lo n behold when I turned off "volume "leveling" the thump disappeared! So I assume there's nothing wrong with the 818, that it's been the Dish pvr all along but is such a curiousity since I never heard a thump with the 180. Oh well, as long as it's gone I couldn't be more pleased with how the 818 makes my Polks Rock! wink.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #23 of 47 Old 03-04-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm curious about these failures and wonder if anyone else has suffered this problem. Every once in a while I lose LFE on the HDMI port my BD player is in. It's easy to tell when it happens. If I'm watching cable programming from my Fios HD box the power LED on my subwoofer will turn on green from red. If I switch to watch a BD the LED will turn back red indicating it is not getting a sigmal. After reading this thread I can't help but wonder.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #24 of 47 Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 PM

TXSR607 failed HDMI here and NR515 with compatibility issues (doesn't like computer HDMI outputs). Demon AVRX2000 no problems, but I now have to switch on the central heating as the house is no longer being warmed by the Onkyo, both of which could become untouchably hot even under low load. HDMI board location in direct fire of this heat a common problem?

Sent from my iPhone killer
post #25 of 47 Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblue View Post

This HDMI issue is a brand killer if Onkyo isn't very aggressive on support.

I've owned Panasonic AVR, Harmon Kardon AVR, Denon flagship AVR, Denon lower end AVR, Anthem AVM30 pre/pro, and most recently the Onkyo pro/pro PR-SCR5508 (I'm sure there are few more I'm not recalling).... in all this time... the only one that died on me is the Onkyo (after 2.5 years).

I would have just been frustrated and figured failures happen and gone on, until I saw the amount of similar HDMI issues via google. Now, I'm pretty pissed.

For me... it appears to be HDMI (happened over 1 week)... I have connected support and waiting on reply.

Actually, regardless of the support's actions... I'm on the lookout now for a new pre/pro.

I called customer support multiple times. Then they wanted an email. Sent an email them. Then had to follow up 11 days later after the email and call and email again because of zero response and them unable to find my original email. Only then did they make an effort and it took about a month in all for this to play out. Their customer service is pretty terrible. Didn't make a difference with buying the Integra product either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysoundman View Post

TXSR607 failed HDMI here and NR515 with compatibility issues (doesn't like computer HDMI outputs). Demon AVRX2000 no problems, but I now have to switch on the central heating as the house is no longer being warmed by the Onkyo, both of which could become untouchably hot even under low load. HDMI board location in direct fire of this heat a common problem?

Don't really know what your asking, but heat has been reported here to accelerate the hdmi board failure.
post #26 of 47 Old 03-05-2014, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've had a TX-NR708 for several years, now tucked in a cabinet in the bedroom, and a TX-NR3010 for a couple of years in the living room. Between the two of them, they're on nearly 24 hours a day (I sleep with music on and work from home), both using a variety of inputs. Not a single HDMI problem.
bbibb likes this.
post #27 of 47 Old 03-05-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

I've had a TX-NR708 for several years, now tucked in a cabinet in the bedroom, and a TX-NR3010 for a couple of years in the living room. Between the two of them, they're on nearly 24 hours a day (I sleep with music on and work from home), both using a variety of inputs. Not a single HDMI problem.

Having them on all the time probably helps since you don't have a heating and cooling cycle which can lead to fatigue failures.
post #28 of 47 Old 03-05-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

Having them on all the time probably helps since you don't have a heating and cooling cycle which can lead to fatigue failures.
No, both are not on all the time. Just one at a time, so they each are turned on and off every day.
post #29 of 47 Old 03-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Liked: 12
My 807 failed after three years. I switched to a Yamaha HTR 7065

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
post #30 of 47 Old 03-05-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Is there a list of Onkyo/Integra's that is, or more to the point is NOT prone to this type of failure? I was considering a DTR 80.3 but now I am having second thoughts. I really like Audyssey but there are others that use it also.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver
Gear in this thread - Sr805 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page