Need Some Home Theater Receiver Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2014, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi All,

First off, thanks for all of your thoughtful posts. Though I've joined recently, I've based many decisions on information found in your forums.

I recently bought a new TV (Vizio M701d-A3R) to replace a 9-year-old Sony projection TV and was thrilled with my new setup. The TV has plenty of HDMI inputs and is 3D capable. I also got a 3D capable Sony Blu Ray player.

Well, my old surround sound receiver stopped receiving a signal in one of its optical audio in ports. The old receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5730 that I got about 9 years ago. I'm looking to replace it, I guess. I've been running optical audio from my gadgets (Apple TV, XBox 360, DVD Player) into the Yamaha with optical audio through a hub. I did a thorough troubleshooting, and it's definitely the port on the receiver that's going.

While I love new technology, I don't upgrade often. So, I like to get a quality unit that will last a long time.

What I do need:

I guess I need something that will pass 3 or 4 HDMI signals through it to the TV. I'm sick of the optical audio hub. I'd like to be able to connect all my gadgets (I also have a Wii) to the receiver, but that's not 100% necessary.

Most of the low end receivers have at least 2 optical audio inputs. I'd like to use one for the TV, so that I don't have to rely on ARC for sound from the TV to the receiver. Otherwise, I guess people just plug their HDMI cables into the receivers and then connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI (is that right?).

I'd also like something with composite inputs (for my Wii), though that's not a deal breaker.

I really like the sound of my old Yamaha HTR-5730. I will keep using those speakers (4) and that subwoofer (powered). So, I would like a good-sounding 5.1 surround-sound (with HD?) receiver, but it doesn't have to be super loud or powerful (the old receiver is rated at around 100W per channel).

What I don't need:

Although 3D pass through would be okay, the DVD player has digital audio out through coax, and I can plug it straight into the back of the TV.

Internet connectivity, ability to play iphone music or video, any kinds of apps, 6.1 or 7.1 or anything.2 surround, remote control via phone.

Money is an issue. I wasn't planning on buying a receiver so soon, but I'm down to one optical audio port (and no ARC) on the current receiver, so I need to buy one soon. I'm hoping to spend less than $300 and will consider a refurb with a warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

These guys have a Yamaha rx-v575 on special for around $299. It's a refurb. Does anyone know about these guys? Is it a good deal?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/YAMRXV575BL/YAMAHA-RX-V575-7.2-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver-with-Airplay/1.html

post #3 of 7 Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
They are very reputable. Many people have used them including myself.

I think they're an AVS sponsor.

Afro GT
post #4 of 7 Old 01-31-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
That price is about $200 less than new. That leaves room for the extended warranty.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-31-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

It did look like a great deal. I kept looking at threads and articles about various receivers. I ended up seeing a link to a Yamaha RX-V773W on sale at NewEgg for $450. I couldn't pass it up, especially as I got excited about the ability to use a separate zone to put 2 speakers (that I'll be getting at accessories4less) to listen to music while I'm working out. Thanks, gentlemen, for your replies.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by davitt77 View Post

It did look like a great deal. I kept looking at threads and articles about various receivers. I ended up seeing a link to a Yamaha RX-V773W on sale at NewEgg for $450. I couldn't pass it up, especially as I got excited about the ability to use a separate zone to put 2 speakers (that I'll be getting at accessories4less) to listen to music while I'm working out. Thanks, gentlemen, for your replies.
I have the 773 and have been posting that newegg deal some. It includes party mode that the lower models don't have.
And will stream usb and network audio like airplay to zone 2 while playing hdmi in zone 1. The intelligent amp design
and full preamp outputs don't hurt also. Yamaha has less hdmi handshake issues than most brands too.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty stoked about getting it. It seems to fit all my needs (and then some) at a good price point. Thanks so much for posting the link to that. It's a great deal (about $100 less than the best price on Amazon).

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page