Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Atmos will work with the existing configuration - so with my 5.1 + Height channels, I am all set. An additional pair of height speakers would be good but it isn't necessary.
5.1 + 2 heights can work as a minimal set-up for Atmos. Sounds intended for the surround field will image around you. Sounds intended to be overhead will image above you.

As long as you can have that distinction (sounds in front of you vs sounds around you vs sounds above you), then you'll get the intended directionality of the soundtrack.

More speakers would be better, but don't let perfect be the enemy of good. If a single pair of heights can improve the experience, then that's better than no improvement at all.

Quite. I would start with my 5.1 + heights and then (quickly in all probability) add two more height speakers. My room is small, as you know, but I can accommodate any number of height speakers - the ceiling is virgin territory!

The stuff I have read where people insist that Atmos is dead in the water because it "needs eleventeen speakers" is just spreading FUD IMO. I am very excited at the prospect of what is apparently coming this year...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hi all
I just started doing some research for replacing my old Lexicon DC-1 pre-pro
Mine was modified by Shawn Fogg to add the 8-channel analog bypass for HD-Audio
However, it has no HDMI inputs, nor any room correction EQ
Its been an awesome processor, and still works great.
I feed its un-balanced 7.1 channel analog outputs to Aragon 8008x3 and 4004 MK2 amps.
With all of that said, I have an itch, and some extra cash, to retire the Lexicon DC-1

I have been reading about this XMC-1

Any news when this will be available to purchase?
It looks like it has everything I desire
post #363 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Back when Emotiva announced that Carver was joining the food, they said manufacturing would be done in TN. Tube based devices are very much a niche market, so I figured the amount of space required would be relatively small and it could probably be done at their existing facility. Well, that didn't work out. If they needed more space, I'm sure things can be rearranged, a wall knocked down and voila, there's the space.

So now we have this largely unused space outfitted with benches and some basic test and diagnostivpc equipment. Well, the one thing we know is that there's a holdup for whatever reason.the way I figure it is that all the parts they need to out it together for sale haven't arrived yet. Whether its boards,cases, remotes, or whatever, they're just not there. My reasoning for this is if the parts were there, then at some point they would have hired some workers.

Chu ; just for some clarification [ and why Ive mentioned this undertaking as a reason for any delays whether palatable or not smile.gif ] ;emo have bought an adjoining warehouse . One day they will get around to the promised video tour of the facility smile.gif

This was selectively edited out of some comments earlier on where things are presently to give some perspective ..
Quote:
We're also finishing up rearranging our facilities (to put our new building into full service)... which is also a big project...
Thanks for the heads up; I didn't know that. Might be the biggest project.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #364 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

This was my main point to Kris. 10.2 or 11.2 will likely be all that we need at home for a convincing Atmos experience. The more speakers the better but we won’t be needing 32 or more of them at home. I already have 7.2, so going to 10.2 isn't going to be all that much of a problem for me, even in my small HT.  

Not having had any real gamechangers on the audio side for several years now, I am very excited at the prospect of Atmos later this year and can't wait, personally!  It is a main reason why I doubt that the XMC-1 would ever find its way into my system. I recently rejected an Anthem unit as a possibility (I was interested in ARC) because Anthem, stupidly in my opinion, no longer support Height channels (having junked them for, wait for it..... passive biamping). Atmos shows us that Height speakers are in our future, and a unit without them, in any shape or form, is 'obsolete' by my definition of the word.  Or will be by the end of this year.

Kris makes the point that most people won't want Atmos and lots of speakers. So what?  Just because it is included in the AVR doesn’t mean it has to be used. People have 3D displays - doesn’t mean they have to use them for 3D (and they don't, in droves). Next year people will be buying AVRs that feature Atmos. If they want to carry on using a 5.1 setup with those units, there is nothing to stop them. But if they want to go the extra mile, then they can. Unless they buy an XMC-1, in which case they won't even have the option.

There is no way right now that I would buy ANY new AVR or prepro - there is too much just around the corner to spend money right now unless one has to (eg failed current unit).

I certainly never implied that 32 speakers would be necessary, no one is that dumb. I simply stated that your existing 5.1 system with height channels in the front won't be able to pull off what Atmos is intended to do. Height channels for the front have been around for a long time and they've never been very convincing. I've been to Audyssey's headquarters, Dolby's and DTS's and sat thru many controlled demos of height channels for the front speakers and the results have NEVER impressed me. I was far more impressed with Audyssey's width channels for adding to a soundstage. But you've already mentioned that you're going to be adding some extra height channels at some point and I'd presume you meant for the surrounds or rears. This will be more in line with what Atmos and Auro is trying to achieve. I also imagine that since the system is scalable both companies will offer their advice on the low hanging fruit, or which channels will ultimately be more important than others when you start adding them. I believe the Auro guys talked about this in the podcast that Scott did with them a few weeks ago.

I still think most consumers won't embrace something like Atmos or Auro with the same enthusiasm as 5.1, just like they didn't with 7.1, height channels or width channels, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to hit the market and be successful. I'm saying they will be very niche. But that won't prevent me from adopting them and supporting them nonetheless.

As for the XMC-1 I guess only time will tell if it's a hit for Emotiva. I agree completely that it won't be the right product for everyone but I also think there are a lot of niche features out there like the ones you mentioned (NEO X, Atmos) that won't matter at all to a lot of customers. Just like there are a lot of people that don't care about Audyssey's, Dolby's and DTS's extended channel support now. I don't have any interest in the XMC at the moment but I am interested in trying out Dirac at some point. I am already MORE than satisfied with the sound in my system that I get from my Anthem D2V despite its lack of nearly every advanced DSP mode on the market today. Its performance for movie soundtracks and music is still one of the best I've ever heard despite the age of the design and lack of features, and ultimately that is more important to me than anything.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #365 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 10:07 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Hi all

No specific date obxdiver ; theres just to many variables including a number of pre order lists that have to be sifted through . What % of these have gone on to other options is but one conjecture ;
Quote:
the first units are now expected to ship in March 2014. While being great news for enthusiasts that have patiently waited on the product’s pre-order reservation list, Emotiva cautions that they will slowly ramp-up production to make sure quality control is perfect. Therefore, all reservation orders won’t likely be filled until the end of April or May 2014.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-audio-video-news/73312-emotiva-says-xmc-1-will-begin-shipping-march.html#ixzz2vTvN3Iab
post #366 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I certainly never implied that 32 speakers would be necessary, no one is that dumb. I simply stated that your existing 5.1 system with height channels in the front won't be able to pull off what Atmos is intended to do. 

I wasn't saying you did - but I have read comments from people who do seem to believe that unless you have a cinema-style Atmos setup that it isn't going to work.  As Sanjay said earlier, don't let perfect be the enemy of good - 5.1 + 2 height speakers will give a good Atmos result, but more speakers will be better of course. I would add two more height speakers pretty quickly I think.

Quote:
Height channels for the front have been around for a long time and they've never been very convincing. I've been to Audyssey's headquarters, Dolby's and DTS's and sat thru many controlled demos of height channels for the front speakers and the results have NEVER impressed me.

My height speakers add an extra dimension (NPI) and I wouldn't really want to lose them. But Atmos height speakers will be way more effective IMO. I use Dolby PLIIz or Neo:X. DSX sucks IMO.

Quote:

But you've already mentioned that you're going to be adding some extra height channels at some point and I'd presume you meant for the surrounds or rears. This will be more in line with what Atmos and Auro is trying to achieve. 

Yes - two more heights at whatever positions Dolby recommends for a room and setup like mine.  More if needed - ceilings are easy places to install more speakers.

Quote:

I still think most consumers won't embrace something like Atmos or Auro with the same enthusiasm as 5.1, just like they didn't with 7.1, height channels or width channels, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to hit the market and be successful. I'm saying they will be very niche. But that won't prevent me from adopting them and supporting them nonetheless.

Most consumers haven't even embraced 5.1. And certainly 'most' consumers don't spend 2 grand on a processor.  I am the only person among my own circle of friends who has 5.1. I only even know one other person who does. About 90% of my friends have soundbars I'd guess. I am really just not interested in what 'most' consumers want or do. I don't sell this stuff or make any sort of living from it - I am only interested in what will benefit me in my HT.  The point I am trying to make is that new AVRs, from this fall, will have Atmos. People don't have to use more than 5.1 if they don't want to, just like people with 3D displays don't have to buy the glasses and the content. It is there for those who want it. But once units with Atmos start hitting the street, AVRs without it will be like 2D displays. OK but retrograde. If all someone wants is 2D, they still mostly buy a 3D display - often they have no choice because almost all TVs over 40 inches are 3D and pretty much every PJ is 3D. It will be the same with AVRs IMO. And that is why Emo have missed the boat. Too little too late.  They won't have very much of anything in the XMC-1 while their cheaper competitors will have all the DSPs, height and width channels, ATMOS and probably even HDMI 2.0. Now you could say that the XMC-1 will be aimed at a more discerning market, and I would agree. But then you can't simultaneously use the 'most people' argument.

Quote:

As for the XMC-1 I guess only time will tell if it's a hit for Emotiva. I agree completely that it won't be the right product for everyone but I also think there are a lot of niche features out there like the ones you mentioned (NEO X, Atmos) that won't matter at all to a lot of customers. Just like there are a lot of people that don't care about Audyssey's, Dolby's and DTS's extended channel support now. I

They won't matter to a lot of customers I agree. But they will matter to some, to the real enthusiasts etc - the sort of people who might spend 2 grand on a processor for example ;)  If I was in Emo's business and I was launching a fairly bare bones processor into the same market that Denon were launching a full bells and whistles ATMOS unit, at a cheaper price no less, I'd be pretty worried. And I have worked on a heck of a lot of product launches over many decades. Who is the target market for the XMC-1?  Is it the real enthusiast?  The 2 grand price tag would suggest so. Well, if it is, the real enthusiast will be wanting the biggest development in home theater sound in the last 10 years, surely?  And if that is the case, then the XMC-1 is dead in the water before it's even been launched. Emo have missed the boat. The time to launch the XMC-1 was two years ago. They missed it. And the market will, IMO, punish them for it. I expect to see Emo selling -- or trying to sell -- XMC-1's for $1,500 by the year end as they are eclipsed by real innovation from the major brands. It's a shame, but it's what I'd bet on happening. Time will tell.

Quote:

I am interested in trying out Dirac at some point. I am already MORE than satisfied with the sound in my system that I get from my Anthem D2V despite its lack of nearly every advanced DSP mode on the market today. Its performance for movie soundtracks and music is still one of the best I've ever heard despite the age of the design and lack of features, and ultimately that is more important to me than anything. 

We are in agreement on this. I too am highly satisfied with my system. And I too am interested in Dirac. But I am also interested in the biggest step forward in home audio for a decade.

post #367 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

I have read comments from people who do seem to believe that unless you have a cinema-style Atmos setup that it isn't going to work.
Right, it's a matter what the home version of Atmos is being compared to. The only examples of Atmos us consumers have heard so far are in large cinemas. With that in mind, I can't blame folks for being skeptical and asking whether 7 speakers at home will sound like their local 48-speaker Atmos-equipped commercial theatre (our only impression of Atmos so far). Of course it won't. But that was true with or without Atmos.

Manufacturers won't be comparing their consumer implementation to a commercial cinema, but instead will be drawing a different comparison and asking a different question: does Atmos sound better than what you have at home now? That is, what sounds better coming from the 2 height speakers you already have: discrete content intended by the filmmakers to image above you (Atmos) OR out-of-phase content extracted from surround channels (PLIIz) OR proscenium reflections generated by processing that mimics concert hall acoustics (DSX)?

Even if you have a 5.1+2 layout, the question isn't whether it will sound like a commercial Atmos install but whether it will sound better than what you're currently experiencing at home. IF the XMC-1 is hardware upgradable down the road, then the initial release should include at least PLIIz (like the Outlaw 975 did) so that users have the option to configure the 7 outputs as 5.1 + 2 heights right now, and then some time in the future add a daughter card that allows Atmos soundtracks to be decoded and mapped to that speaker configuration.

Sanjay
post #368 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have read comments from people who do seem to believe that unless you have a cinema-style Atmos setup that it isn't going to work.

Manufacturers won't be comparing their consumer implementation to a commercial cinema, but instead will be drawing a different comparison and asking a different question: does Atmos sound better than what you have at home now? That is, what sounds better coming from the 2 height speakers you already have: discrete content intended by the filmmakers to image above you (Atmos) OR out-of-phase content extracted from surround channels (PLIIz) OR proscenium reflections generated by processing that mimics concert hall acoustics (DSX)?

Exactly - the sole issue is "will it sound better than what I already have?" and I am sure the answer will be "yes". Discrete content is always going to trump extracted or generated content, and discrete speakers are always going to trump phantom images. Bring it on, I say.

Quote:

Even if you have a 5.1+2 layout, the question isn't whether it will sound like a commercial Atmos install but whether it will sound better than what you're currently experiencing at home. IF the XMC-1 is hardware upgradable down the road, then the initial release should include at least PLIIz (like the Outlaw 975 did) so that users have the option to configure the 7 outputs as 5.1 + 2 heights right now, and then some time in the future add a daughter card that allows Atmos soundtracks to be decoded and mapped to that speaker configuration.

It should include PLIIz IMO too but it isn’t going to. This touches on what I have been trying to get across in the last few posts here - the XMC-1 has missed the boat. Not only has it missed the boat of what is around the corner later this year, it has also missed the boat of what is already included in much cheaper competitors. It seems to me that the real excitement isn't the XMC-1 - it is what we can look forward to this Fall.

post #369 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It should include PLIIz IMO too but it isn’t going to.
I hope that spec changes, since PLIIz requires no more MIPS than PLIIx.

Sanjay
post #370 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've been to Audyssey's headquarters, Dolby's and DTS's and sat thru many controlled demos of height channels for the front speakers and the results have NEVER impressed me.
Folks need to move those height speakers off the front wall and place them where they will give a better impression of sound above them (rather than make the front soundstage appear taller).

Sanjay
post #371 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

It should include PLIIz IMO too but it isn’t going to.
I hope that spec changes, since PLIIz requires no more MIPS than PLIIx.

I hope you are right. I may have a jaundiced view following my disappointment that Anthem had decided, in their latest AVRs, to eschew Height channels/PLIIz in favour of useless passive biamping ("because customers demanded it") which meant I had to cross them off my list of potential candidates moving forward (although I was solely interested in ARC and not especially in the AVR itself IYSWIM).

post #372 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

I've been to Audyssey's headquarters, Dolby's and DTS's and sat thru many controlled demos of height channels for the front speakers and the results have NEVER impressed me.
Folks need to move those height speakers off the front wall and place them where they will give a better impression of sound above them (rather than make the front soundstage appear taller).

Would you still recommend that Height speaker placement in an ATMOS environment?  And if so, where would you think the additional speaker pair(s) would be best placed?

Sorry this is OT guys - Sanjay, you can take it to PM if you prefer. Thanks.

post #373 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Would you still recommend that Height speaker placement in an ATMOS environment?
Sure, with those height speakers mounted high up on the side walls or on the ceiling. The placement isn't incompatible with PLIIz, since the processing extracts non-localizable (out of phase) sounds and will still result in an immersive bubble.
Quote:

And if so, where would you think the additional speaker pair(s) would be best placed?

Kinda like asking me where 4 surrounds should be placed if the seating is at or near the back wall. I suppose the second pair of heights could be placed directly above the listeners, but will you get meaningful separation between those heights and your surrounds high up in the back corners? Maybe if you lowered the surrounds closer to ear level.

We can continue the discussion outside this thread.

Sanjay
post #374 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

Sure, with those height speakers mounted high up on the side walls or on the ceiling. The placement isn't incompatible with PLIIz, since the processing extracts non-localizable (out of phase) sounds and will still result in an immersive bubble.

Kinda like asking me where 4 surrounds should be placed if the seating is at or near the back wall. I suppose the second pair of heights could be placed directly above the listeners, but will you get meaningful separation between those heights and your surrounds high up in the back corners? Maybe if you lowered the surrounds closer to ear level.

Can you make another thread? Or if you have link please?

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #375 of 1235 Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

Can you make another thread? Or if you have link please?
Couple of threads already going:

Dolby Atmos Theatre System

Is Dolby Atmos Coming To HT

Sanjay
post #376 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Would you still recommend that Height speaker placement in an ATMOS environment?
Quote:

And if so, where would you think the additional speaker pair(s) would be best placed?

Thanks Sanjay.

post #377 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Hi all
I just started doing some research for replacing my old Lexicon DC-1 pre-pro
Mine was modified by Shawn Fogg to add the 8-channel analog bypass for HD-Audio
However, it has no HDMI inputs, nor any room correction EQ
Its been an awesome processor, and still works great.
I feed its un-balanced 7.1 channel analog outputs to Aragon 8008x3 and 4004 MK2 amps.
With all of that said, I have an itch, and some extra cash, to retire the Lexicon DC-1

Based on what I've been reading in the Emotiva Lounge with respect to issues concerning software implementation and the new manufacturing facility, I don't expect to see the unit ready for shipment until late summer. Best guess is shipment around Emofest time if we are lucky. Then there is the user debugging process to wait through....
post #378 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Liked: 11
Didn't know that they also were developing a receiver it ships 20/03/2014 it have HDMI 1.4, 11-band fully parametric EQ’s, Fusion Advanced Room Correction System, and of course takes the newest audio formats

It will be exciting to see how this performes.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/av-receivers/products/fusion-8100
post #379 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post

Based on what I've been reading in the Emotiva Lounge with respect to issues concerning software implementation and the new manufacturing facility, I don't expect to see the unit ready for shipment until late summer. Best guess is shipment around Emofest time if we are lucky. Then there is the user debugging process to wait through....

This is what is so frustrating with the Emotiva pre/pros. They lose credibility because they can't hit any of their self imposed timelines. Just don't say anything until it is ready to ship and then announce it. By placing all these dates out in public statements, it becomes ridiculous and frustrating for potential customers.
xcapri79 likes this.
post #380 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmik View Post

Didn't know that they also were developing a receiver it ships 20/03/2014 it have Room Correction System dosen't say with kind. It will be exciting to see how this performes.

This is essentially a UMC-200 with a UPA-500 integrated in one unit. So it is EmoQ 2 even though they don't call it that.
post #381 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Didn't know that they also were developing a receiver it ships 20/03/2014 it have Room Correction System dosen't say with kind. It will be exciting to see how this performes.

The big question is what is 'Fusion Advanced Room Correction' and does it work well? Hopefully they also managed to get the bass management flow implemented properly ;)

EDIT: just saw the reply above my post. In that case, the answer is that it still has a totally flawed bass management process that cannot be fixed.

post #382 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

This is what is so frustrating with the Emotiva pre/pros. They lose credibility because they can't hit any of their self imposed timelines. Just don't say anything until it is ready to ship and then announce it. By placing all these dates out in public statements, it becomes ridiculous and frustrating for potential customers.

I believe Emotiva does the whole pre announcement thing to get potential buyers to wait and not buy something else. It seems that it worked to a certain extent in the past but I think this time around with the XMC-1 it hasn't worked out very well. If the XMC-1 doesn't ship till the summer then Emotiva is going to look real bad IMO.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #383 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post

Even worse, you'd think they would have learned this lesson by now? It's not like they have no experience with announcing release dates then constantly missing them.

post #384 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Quote:

I believe Emotiva does the whole pre announcement thing to get potential buyers to wait and not buy something else. It seems that it works to a certain extent in the past but I think this time around with the XMC-1 it hasn't worked out very well. If the XMC-1 doesn't ship till the summer then Emotiva is going to look real bad IMO.

Bill

And they will be getting very, very close to the new crop of AVRs which feature ATMOS and which will be here in the Fall, so we are told.

The latest official date for the XMC-1 is still March, so we'll see if that holds up or if they announce a further delay. If they do then it is going to be "here we go again" time...

post #385 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:

And they will be getting very, very close to the new crop of AVRs which feature ATMOS and which will be here in the Fall, so we are told.

Very true. It would be a real interesting if for some reason Dirac didn't work out as TacT didn't. Then Emotiva would have to bite the bullet and choose Audyssey eek.gif. I hope that Dirac works out well but it would be kind of ironic if the XMC-1 ended up with XT32 wink.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #386 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Even worse, you'd think they would have learned this lesson by now? It's not like they have no experience with announcing release dates then constantly missing them.
Quote:

The big question is what is 'Fusion Advanced Room Correction' and does it work well? Hopefully they also managed to get the bass management flow implemented properly wink.gif

EDIT: just saw the reply above my post. In that case, the answer is that it still has a totally flawed bass management process that cannot be fixed.

What is the problem with the bass management and why can't it be fixed.
post #387 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Very true. It would be a real interesting if for some reason Dirac didn't work out as TacT didn't. Then Emotiva would have to bite the bullet and choose Audyssey eek.gif. I hope that Dirac works out well but it would be kind of ironic if the XMC-1 ended up with XT32 wink.gif.

Bill

It could give Mud heart failure if that happened LOL. :)  JK, Mud.

I wonder what the licensing cost for XT32 is as opposed to Dirac?

With what is now just around the corner this Fall, it seems to me to be a really bad time to replace a processor or AVR anyway, regardless of what one is going to choose. What's the point dropping two grand on a new unit when a genuine revolution is just about to take place and your new unit won't be capable of taking part?  ATMOS is the first big step forward in AV audio for a decade - I wouldn’t want to spend 2 grand right now and miss out on it. And how will the secondhand value suffer if you try to sell a unit that has outdated tech in it?  What would you expect to get, for example, for a perfectly working AVR that didn't have HDMI or the ability to decode DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD?

I personally think anyone would be crazy to buy an XMC-1 until it has been extensively tested and proven in the field, but I also think it is crazy to buy any new AVR/prepro right now. Fall is a few months away...

post #388 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

I believe Emotiva does the whole pre announcement thing to get potential buyers to wait and not buy something else. It seems that it worked to a certain extent in the past but I think this time around with the XMC-1 it hasn't worked out very well. If the XMC-1 doesn't ship till the summer then Emotiva is going to look real bad IMO.

Bill

It already looks real bad IMHO. It is now turning into a clown show with a potential further delay. I could never imagine Denon, Yamaha, Marantz,etc... being run this way. They would be out of business.
post #389 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:

What is the problem with the bass management and why can't it be fixed.

IIRC they were applying the delays for each channel prior to the crossover...

Why they couldn't fix it I don't remember, but Lonnie spent a lot of time defending the process as correct.
post #390 of 1235 Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

IIRC they were applying the delays for each channel prior to the crossover...

Why does to matter if you create an delay and then remove some of tones or remove the tones and apply the delay. Can't see why that is a problem.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xmc 1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page