Emotiva XMC-1 Pre/Pro - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 407
This is what Audyssey xt32 does to the highs in my room. Red line is Audyssey on, green line is no eq at all.

Both are 1/12 smoothing.

With Audyssey on the sound is pleasing at first but quickly my ears get fatigued which makes sense because Audyssey is boosting the highs.

Now, I do have very nice compression drivers in my speakers. I have heard Audyssey in another room with dome tweeters and the sound was much improved with Audyssey on, so it could be that audyssey doesn't work well with compression drivers in the high frequencies.

I do love dynamic eq, but no audyssey eq for me for now. The reason I'm following this thread is because I'm curious about other types of room correction/eq and I've heard nothing but great things about Dirac.




Capture2_zps781309fa.png
carp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 160
^
What does that graph show? Windowed? Which speakers? Calibrated mic?
For 1/12 smoothing it looks way too smooth.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
post #543 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Apologies for misreading your earlier post and thank you for quoting it above. It is odd that the perception you are experiencing is that there is a drop in level of several dB from the centre channel. As it is only on certain movies, this is perplexing. It could be that these movies have 'marginal' dialogue clarity and that room issues 'tip it over the edge' into inaudibility I guess.

Tell you what, as we don't seem able to get much further - next time you watch a movie where this phenomenon occurs for you, make a note of the movie's name and the timecode where the problem happens and if I have the movie I will do a comparison here and we can compare results.
Keith, I am currently watching Revolver on TV. Using the scientific method I got out the old SPL meter. I estimate average volume to be 60 db maybe a little more. I notice some scenes where the dialog has swings of 8db or more. IMO, equipment and room is not the big contributor to the problem.
I change back over to the today show and all is near perfect. Dialog is exceptional even with other sounds in the center. When a commercial comes on the center dialog is again clear with lots of sound from the L and R.
A thought about DD movies. Does Dialnorm have any effect on what I am experiencing?
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #544 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

^
What does that graph show? Windowed? Which speakers? Calibrated mic?
For 1/12 smoothing it looks way too smooth.



Left speaker only - not sure what you mean by windowed.

Yes, my omnimic is calibrated.

1/12 smoothing. With 1/6th it's almost a straight line.

I'm lucky (and I've done TONS of experimenting with speaker placement/main LP placement over the years), I get a real nice response now at my main LP. I do have room treatements (GIK Tri Traps from floor to ceiling in each front corner, 2 GIK panels on each side wall for first reflections for each speaker, 3 GIK panels on the ceiling for first reflections).








carp is offline  
post #545 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 407
The sweet spot is the front row right seat, that's where the mic was.
carp is offline  
post #546 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,439
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Apologies for misreading your earlier post and thank you for quoting it above. It is odd that the perception you are experiencing is that there is a drop in level of several dB from the centre channel. As it is only on certain movies, this is perplexing. It could be that these movies have 'marginal' dialogue clarity and that room issues 'tip it over the edge' into inaudibility I guess.

Tell you what, as we don't seem able to get much further - next time you watch a movie where this phenomenon occurs for you, make a note of the movie's name and the timecode where the problem happens and if I have the movie I will do a comparison here and we can compare results.
Keith, I am currently watching Revolver on TV. Using the scientific method I got out the old SPL meter. I estimate average volume to be 60 db maybe a little more. I notice some scenes where the dialog has swings of 8db or more. IMO, equipment and room is not the big contributor to the problem.
I change back over to the today show and all is near perfect. Dialog is exceptional even with other sounds in the center. When a commercial comes on the center dialog is again clear with lots of sound from the L and R.
A thought about DD movies. Does Dialnorm have any effect on what I am experiencing?

 

Mud, I don't think you can get a reliable indication of SPL that way - the dialogue is too much of a 'moving target'. There will be variations in the dialogue level as characters speak louder, move closer to camera etc.  Similarly, I know nothing at all about TV sound and how it is mixed, other than this one thing: there are no standards for mixing TV sound (same for music) so levels could be anywhere and everywhere. The only standard that exists is Movie Reference, so I think you will need to use a movie for the comparison, directly from a Blu-ray disc or DVD.

 

Dialnorm should not have the effect you are experiencing. 

 

Dialnorm is a Dolby technology which aims to give program to program consistency for dialogue levels and while the value for dialnorm is determined by measuring the average dialogue level in the encoded audio on the disc, AIUI your AVR will automatically take account of the amount of dialnorm which is applied to the content. Remind me again of which AVR or processor you are using (I can't keep up).

 

DTS does not use dialnorm so do you experience the problem when you play a disc where the audio is encoded with DTS?

 

I think it would be very useful to get to the bottom of this as any dialogue problems will completely spoil your enjoyment of the movie - you say it has been a while since you watched a movie, and this could be the reason.

 

One other thing, while you have the SPL meter out can you do a level check from the MLP of all your channels using the AVR built-in test tones?  Wirth just checking that the centre channel is at the same level as the others.

kbarnes701 is online now  
post #547 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Left speaker only - not sure what you mean by windowed.

Selecet "all" instead of "blended".

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
post #548 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 257
^^^. Keith...

DTS does have dialog norm.

However, the default value in the encoder is -31... On the Dolby encoder it defaults to -27.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #549 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

The exam can't hurt Mud and you can use it as an excuse as to why you forgot the Sourdough pretzels from the store the wife asked you to pick up.

Why do you think I haven't had it checked sooner? Without an excuse I could be vacuuming, dusting, doing laundry, etc.smile.gif
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #550 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Mud, I don't think you can get a reliable indication of SPL that way - the dialogue is too much of a 'moving target'. There will be variations in the dialogue level as characters speak louder, move closer to camera etc.  Similarly, I know nothing at all about TV sound and how it is mixed, other than this one thing: there are no standards for mixing TV sound (same for music) so levels could be anywhere and everywhere. The only standard that exists is Movie Reference, so I think you will need to use a movie for the comparison, directly from a Blu-ray disc or DVD.

I agree it is not totally accurate. However it does show that the dialog drops drastically in the center. A 6db or greater reduction is very noticeable.



Remind me again of which AVR or processor you are using (I can't keep up).

You devil. smile.gif UMC-200.



One other thing, while you have the SPL meter out can you do a level check from the MLP of all your channels using the AVR built-in test tones?  Wirth just checking that the centre channel is at the same level as the others.
I am not a total dumbass.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #551 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Selecet "all" instead of "blended".

Oh, I see. The setting was on blended, that's all I've ever used.
carp is offline  
post #552 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Keith, I am currently watching Revolver on TV. Using the scientific method I got out the old SPL meter. I estimate average volume to be 60 db maybe a little more. I notice some scenes where the dialog has swings of 8db or more. IMO, equipment and room is not the big contributor to the problem.
I change back over to the today show and all is near perfect. Dialog is exceptional even with other sounds in the center. When a commercial comes on the center dialog is again clear with lots of sound from the L and R.
A thought about DD movies. Does Dialnorm have any effect on what I am experiencing?

Over the last couple of years, most broadcasters have subscribed to adding a more consistent requirement for consistency of levels from the producers/content providers.

To compare the clarity of a broadcast "news' program to scripted television is not really a good apples - apples comparison.. three really isn't much for the dialog to compete against, and almost all of the dialog is coming from a controlled, sound treated set...

Like anything else, there is always going to be varying levels of quality in the mix..

Dialog norm does nothing to the sound track except attenuate the entire track.. it doesn't change anything about the mix.

However, you don't seem all that open to the fact that what you "prefer" / like (untreated/uncalibrated system response) is probably part of the issue and that you would benefit from some form of room correction.

If you are not going to attempt to match the standard where the content was created, how are we supposed to help?

A couple of db correction in the low end can do wonders for dialog intelligibility, not to mention taming the frequencies between 200-500Hz..

As many others have pointed out, without knowing what your room looks like acoustically, there really is no guidance in what might be the issue in terms of overall reproduction of content.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #553 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,439
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Mud, I don't think you can get a reliable indication of SPL that way - the dialogue is too much of a 'moving target'. There will be variations in the dialogue level as characters speak louder, move closer to camera etc.  Similarly, I know nothing at all about TV sound and how it is mixed, other than this one thing: there are no standards for mixing TV sound (same for music) so levels could be anywhere and everywhere. The only standard that exists is Movie Reference, so I think you will need to use a movie for the comparison, directly from a Blu-ray disc or DVD.

I agree it is not totally accurate. However it does show that the dialog drops drastically in the center. A 6db or greater reduction is very noticeable.



Remind me again of which AVR or processor you are using (I can't keep up).

You devil. smile.gif UMC-200.



One other thing, while you have the SPL meter out can you do a level check from the MLP of all your channels using the AVR built-in test tones?  Wirth just checking that the centre channel is at the same level as the others.
I am not a total dumbass.

 

I had genuinely forgotten you were on the UMC-200 :)  IDK how it handles dialnorm though. 

 

I know you are not a total dumbass :)  Just covering all the bases. 

kbarnes701 is online now  
post #554 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,439
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

^^^. Keith...

DTS does have dialog norm.

However, the default value in the encoder is -31... On the Dolby encoder it defaults to -27.

 

Ah yes... thanks. Another bright idea shot down in flames :)

kbarnes701 is online now  
post #555 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I had genuinely forgotten you were on the UMC-200 smile.gif  IDK how it handles dialnorm though. I doubt that is the issue but it can be verified with a DTS disc instead of a DD disc.

I know you are not a total dumbass smile.gif  Just covering all the bases. 

It should deal with it like any other processor without THX... attenuate the track overall based on the metadata.

Again, DTS also has dial norm...

It isn't a codec issue..

Mud said he measured SPL in the 60db +/- 8 for dx...

Those swings are normal, but thats low for overall level IMO..

Maybe above those kind of levels it becomes too loud/bright/etc.... however, that's well under 15-20db lower than where the content was mixed.

Also, don't know how his meter is set up, etc...
FilmMixer is offline  
post #556 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,439
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Mud said he measured SPL in the 60db +/- 8 for dx...

Those swings are normal, but thats low for overall level IMO..

Maybe above those kind of levels it becomes too loud/bright/etc.... however, that's well under 15-20db lower than where the content was mixed.

Also, don't know how his meter is set up, etc...

 

Yep, agreed all round. It could be the case that Mud's untreated and un-EQd room starts to sound too bright when he raises the MV a bit, so he keeps the MV low. 60dB average for dialogue in a movie sounds really low for me. I know that one of the things I noticed when going from untreated to treated was that I could comfortably listen at much higher levels. No sense of 'sounding loud' - just the same as at lower levels but more of it IYKWIM. Nowadays I listen at a typical -5dB. I also use AudysseyXT32 + Pro + Dynamic EQ plus a fair number of acoustic panels though and I am sure that Mud would benefit from a similar approach. 

 

Interestingly I also noticed an improvement in imaging and clarity when I got my bass right as I think you have also suggested could be the case.

kbarnes701 is online now  
post #557 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Consumer audio is completely derailed. Who needs HDMI 2.0 paired with a graphic 1/1 octave EQ? Are consumers really that dumb?
Did you check out the comments about Audyssey in that post?

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #558 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Over the last couple of years, most broadcasters have subscribed to adding a more consistent requirement for consistency of levels from the producers/content providers.

To compare the clarity of a broadcast "news' program to scripted television is not really a good apples - apples comparison.. three really isn't much for the dialog to compete against, and almost all of the dialog is coming from a controlled, sound treated set...

This problem occurs as much when there is no competing sound in the other channels. I am only assuming that live broadcasts do not have mixing. Hasn't it been posted how well the mixing rooms are treated and controlled? Are you now inferring that broadcasts are better controlled?

Like anything else, there is always going to be varying levels of quality in the mix..

Thanks Mr. Obvious. smile.gif The negative level that I notice seems to be too much variance. Why would 3 people conversing in a room be mixed to sound like a whisper when they appear to be talking at normal levels.
Go to another scene with practically the same setting and center levels have little to no variance. Example an interrogation room scene where one would think that at the moment in time they would be talking low to moderate levels.


However, you don't seem all that open to the fact that what you "prefer" / like (untreated/uncalibrated system response) is probably part of the issue and that you would benefit from some form of room correction.
If you are not going to attempt to match the standard where the content was created, how are we supposed to help?

True, room treatment could be beneficial. However, they will not totally compensate for the drastic volume reduction. Do you really think that most home owners have dedicated rooms that will maximize the sound. If I had problems throughout a movie I would be concerned about my set up. Since this only happens where someone apparently mixes to sound unnatural I think the standard needs to be assessed.

.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

..


Mud said he measured SPL in the 60db +/- 8 for dx...

Those swings are normal, but thats low for overall level IMO..

Yes, that is low for serious watching. However, we can't always use reference level for respect of other persons in the house.

Maybe above those kind of levels it becomes too loud/bright/etc.... however, that's well under 15-20db lower than where the content was mixed.

No problem here. In fact reference levels sound great IMO. Especially on quality mixed media
.

Also, don't know how his meter is set up, etc.


.

I fear that I will come across as rude with the following. That is not my intent.

I am not unique with this complaint. It has been discussed by many for years.
I think we are making a mountain out of an ant hill. IMO some movies have poor mixing and there is no need to have to climb a mountain just because some mixer (not aimed at you FM) wants a sound track to sound so unrealistic.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #559 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 261
perhaps we are straying too far OT now?
marcuslaw likes this.

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
markrubin is online now  
post #560 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

perhaps we are straying too far OT now?

Agreed. Thanks Mark.

Also, thanks to others for all your input.
kbarnes701 likes this.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #561 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Member
 
Vermithrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have to admit that as OT as it may have gotten, I have learned a lot in this thread. Yet another reason I love this forum.

Thanks to all of y'all for helping this relative noob to HT get a better handle on theory and application.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

"Why we getting new washer?", my 3 yr old daughter Riley upon seeing our new FV15HP.
"He blowed up." Riley watching Looney Tunes.
Vermithrax is offline  
post #562 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermithrax View Post

I have to admit that as OT as it may have gotten, I have learned a lot in this thread. Yet another reason I love this forum.

Thanks to all of y'all for helping this relative noob to HT get a better handle on theory and application.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Agreed!

hogues is offline  
post #563 of 1235 Old 03-13-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DS-21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I do love dynamic eq, but no audyssey eq for me for now. The reason I'm following this thread is because I'm curious about other types of room correction/eq and I've heard nothing but great things about Dirac.

The irony there is that loudness compensation seems to be an afterthought in the XMC-1. They went for an interesting name for the room correction, but for loudness compensation they're doing their own thing rather than licensing Dolby Volume or THX Loudness Plus. Perhaps a pleasant surprise is in store, but given that they're competing against the research trusts at Dolby and THX, as well as the best part of the Audyssey suite, skepticism is prudent.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
DS-21 is offline  
post #564 of 1235 Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

The irony there is that loudness compensation seems to be an afterthought in the XMC-1. They went for an interesting name for the room correction, but for loudness compensation they're doing their own thing rather than licensing Dolby Volume or THX Loudness Plus. Perhaps a pleasant surprise is in store, but given that they're competing against the research trusts at Dolby and THX, as well as the best part of the Audyssey suite, skepticism is prudent.



Hmmm that's too bad. I didn't think it through - I should have realized that without audyssey there would be no dynamic eq.

I stumbled upon the xmc-1 and read all the info on the emotiva website and thought this might be the next receiver for me. XLR outputs and Dirac? That really got my attention. The more I read here the more it looks like I better just wait for something else.
carp is offline  
post #565 of 1235 Old 03-14-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I stumbled upon the xmc-1 and read all the info on the emotiva website and thought this might be the next receiver for me. XLR outputs and Dirac? That really got my attention. The more I read here the more it looks like I better just wait for something else.

If you aren't in a hurry for a new processor then wait and see how the XMC-1 performs once it is released. But who knows when that will actually happen wink.gif. I wouldn't write off the XMC-1 just yet. I just wouldn't be one of the first to order one though.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #566 of 1235 Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

If you aren't in a hurry for a new processor then wait and see how the XMC-1 performs once it is released. But who knows when that will actually happen wink.gif. I wouldn't write off the XMC-1 just yet. I just wouldn't be one of the first to order one though.

Bill


Good advice. I'm also curious about the release of Atmos in avr's in the fall. Honestly though, there are so many things I'm thinking about adding/ugrading/whatever to the room I think I need to just sit tight and be patient to figure out what my priorities are since funds are limited right now - ha, when are they not!
carp is offline  
post #567 of 1235 Old 03-15-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm in the same boat, Carp. I even have the 40% off card. I'm going to wait to see how it performs. I have to admit, though, it will have to be great. I have been really turned off by Emo but really by the Emo boards and the people on it and I don't like supporting a company that creates/fosters that kind of environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Honestly though, there are so many things I'm thinking about adding/ugrading/whatever to the room

215RT, maybe?????

hogues is offline  
post #568 of 1235 Old 03-15-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

I'm in the same boat, Carp. I even have the 40% off card. I'm going to wait to see how it performs. I have to admit, though, it will have to be great. I have been really turned off by Emo but really by the Emo boards and the people on it and I don't like supporting a company that creates/fosters that kind of environment.
215RT, maybe?????

215rt? Are you talking about the new JTR speakers? I know they are called 215's, I didn't know about the rt part so maybe you are talking about something else?

If you are talking about the speakers I'd love to try those bad boys out!! However, with the amount of subs I use and how I have them dialed in it wouldn't make much sense because there is no way the bass response would be as smooth so I would end up just crossing them over anyway and wasting those awesome 15 inch drivers. Plus, I would be going from a 101 db sensitivity speaker to a 95 db sensitivity speaker.
carp is offline  
post #569 of 1235 Old 03-15-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

215rt? Are you talking about the new JTR speakers? I know they are called 215's, I didn't know about the rt part so maybe you are talking about something else?

If you are talking about the speakers I'd love to try those bad boys out!! However, with the amount of subs I use and how I have them dialed in it wouldn't make much sense because there is no way the bass response would be as smooth so I would end up just crossing them over anyway and wasting those awesome 15 inch drivers. Plus, I would be going from a 101 db sensitivity speaker to a 95 db sensitivity speaker.

I think that Jeff said that the RT stands for reference tower. I was really just kidding, because I think that you have more subs than I have speakers!

hogues is offline  
post #570 of 1235 Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

I think that Jeff said that the RT stands for reference tower. I was really just kidding, because I think that you have more subs than I have speakers!


Ahh gotcha. Reference Tower indeed!! smile.gif
carp is offline  
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xmc 1

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off