New Marantz AV-8801 or 1 year used Anthem AVM50V-3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a dilemma. I can buy for about the same price a brand new Marantz AV-8801 or a used Anthem AVM50V-3D in mint condition. It is not an upgraded AVM50V. It was bought in July 2013.
Both processor have great reviews and it's difficult for me to make a decision.

I would say that I use my system 50%-50% for cinema and music. I have a very nice home theater room that was built as part of the renovation of my home. The acoustic is very good.
I need to move my amplifiers to the basement to make room in my audio-video rack for the new turntable I just bought. I'm back to analog and vinyl records! To do so I need a preamp-processor with balanced outputs (20 to 25 ft cable run between my preamp and amplifiers).

What would you recommend between those 2 processors and why? I would rather emphasize on the best audio quality first and video performance second. Bell and whistles are not important to me.

The actual audio-video components for my 7.1 system are:
Pioneer Elite SC-35 (use only as a processor-preamp. Will be replaced by new processor)
Emotiva XPR-2 (for LR Fronts)
Emotiva XPR-5 (for center and surrounds)
Oppo BDP-93
Panasonic PT-AE-4000U projector
GrandView 120" screen
Pro-Ject 6perspeX turntable with Ortofon 2M Black cartridge
SimAudio Moon 310LP phono stage (with balanced output)
All my speakers are Definitive Technology:
BP-2002 bipolar (L&R Front)
CLR-3000 (center)
UIW BPZ/A (L&R surrounds)
UIW BP/A (Rear surrounds)
SuperCube Reference Subwoofer

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

I personally would keep the Pioneer and forget about both of them, as I doubt it will be worthwhile to change it out.  Most likely, if you replaced the Pioneer, any audio "improvement" will be imaginary rather than real.  If you want a real improvement in sound, look for different speakers (including subwoofers), or deal with room acoustics.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

In order to move my amplifiers in the basement, I need balanced outputs on the processor. The Pioneer Elite does not have any.
The cables between the processor and the amplifier will be 20 to 25 feet which is too much for regular unbalanced cables with RCA connectors.
I need to use balanced interconnect cables with XLR connectors. Both Marantz and Anthem have XLR outputs.
post #4 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
FWIW , my 2 cents says that >I would get the 8801. This is only because that's what I have been interested in , though of late I am sitting still till EMO XMC-1 arrives since it seems to be close now though we have heard that before. The Yamaha CX-A5000 looks interesting as well. Not sure why the Ripper is so against people spending their money on what they want to spend it on . I can see the dilemma since I have heard great things about the Anthem ARC though I would not hinge my purchase on the room correction alone, the EMO is using Dirac so it will be interesting to see how well that works out. You can,t go wrong with either IMHO.

richard
post #5 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Richard for your opinion. I will take a look at the Yamaha too. Maybe it would be a nice alternative.
I don't really care too much about room correction software. I do it myself with a DB pressure meter and my ears for frequency equalization. I have better results that way... The acoustic of my room is very good as it was built from scratch as a new addition to the house and I have been very careful to details.

What I'm looking is the best possible "musical" preamp as I like to sit and listen to music and enjoy every little details. I guess I'm more permissive on the video side. I want the best possible video for sure, but sound is more important to me.

I have been waiting too long for the XMC-1 and frankly the last email for another delay was just too much. I cannot wait another 4 to 6 months on the waiting list and I don't want to be a beta tester for EMO. Too bad because I have an upgrade card and I will spend a lot more money buying a Marantz or an Anthem.
post #6 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

... Not sure why the Ripper is so against people spending their money on what they want to spend it on . ...

People can spend their money on any gear they want.  But when they ask for opinions, do you think it inappropriate to give one?  If people do not want opinions, then they would be foolish to ask for them.  And they would be foolish to post in a publicly viewable forum if they did not want opinions either.

Back to the opening post:  If you are set on buying one, I would go with the Marantz.  You will get a full warranty that way.  But, again, I would not do it.  If you no longer want the Emotiva amplifiers in the room, you could drive those speakers with the Pioneer receiver.  You will not lose much headroom that way; remember, it takes a doubling of power to get just 3dB, so you would not give up much dropping down to the Pioneer (also keeping in mind that your Emotiva amps can put out more power than your speakers can handle).

In my opinion, if you are dissatisfied with the sound, replacing the Pioneer is the wrong choice.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

He asked which one to buy not whether or not to buy, which is why i said what i said. Your negativity shows up all over this forum dude, why so mad??
post #8 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaferri View Post

Thanks Richard for your opinion. I will take a look at the Yamaha too. Maybe it would be a nice alternative.
I don't really care too much about room correction software. I do it myself with a DB pressure meter and my ears for frequency equalization. I have better results that way... The acoustic of my room is very good as it was built from scratch as a new addition to the house and I have been very careful to details.

What I'm looking is the best possible "musical" preamp as I like to sit and listen to music and enjoy every little details. I guess I'm more permissive on the video side. I want the best possible video for sure, but sound is more important to me.

I have been waiting too long for the XMC-1 and frankly the last email for another delay was just too much. I cannot wait another 4 to 6 months on the waiting list and I don't want to be a beta tester for EMO. Too bad because I have an upgrade card and I will spend a lot more money buying a Marantz or an Anthem.

Yeah I totally hear ya. Fortunately im in no hurry ,plus its been off my radar for a long long time and being a beta tester will be left to others. One thing about the EMO is its a lot of processor for the money and much less than the Yamaha or the Marantz since I am in Canada I would pay over 3g . Perhaps you can talk the price down on the Anthem ? Either one would be great to have so I don't think there is any wrong choice though as Ripper said the extra warranty would be nice.

Richard
post #9 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

I will never go back with this particular Pioneer as an amplifier. As a preamp it's ok, but lacks the balanced outputs.

The best decision this year was to add the XPR amps. I had very good Pioneer Elite receiver in the past (VSX72-TXV, VSX82-TXS, VSX94-TXH) but this one, with the ICE technology is a disaster. Maybe it was a lemon, but I had to replace the main circuit board on warranty because it fried and even after the repair it would always go into digital protection.

The sound of the XPR in my humble opinion is way better and offers much more dynamic and musicality than this particular Elite. Don't get me wrong... I love Pioneer products, but not the SC-35 I currently have.

That said, I prefer to have the amps components in the basement for 3 reasons:
1- Heat (my actual audio-video rack is in a ventilated closed space and heat dissipation is complicated)
2- Space and convenience (I'm adding a turntable and it doesn't fit in a 19 in rack)
3- Magnetic fields (I do not want my turntable over 2 big XPR amplifiers)
post #10 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He asked which one to buy not whether or not to buy, which is why i said what i said. ...

So you believe that when someone thinks that both are a mistake, one should not say so?  If that is what you believe, you should be complaining about a whole bunch of other people and their posts and not just me.  It is very common for people to suggest something other than what the person originally had in mind.

I am not forcing anything on him.  He is free to choose as he sees fit.  He can choose to accept or reject any advice anyone gives.

It is strange that you believe that when people ask for advice, that one ought not give what one considers to be the best advice regarding the issue at hand, and only select from among the ideas presented by the person asking for advice.  And it would be surprising if you followed that approach in all of your posts.

post #11 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in Canada too Richard smile.gif
The Anthem is $3800 plus $150 shipping. The asking price was $4000 CA. That's the lowest he will go.
The Marantz is $3400 + taxes... $3909 CA
I believe I can find a better price for the AV8801... maybe $3200 + tx...
Going with the Marantz makes sense... but some people told me Anthem was not in the same league... supposedly far superior. I am not sure I would see or hear a difference between the AV8801 and the Anthem.
post #12 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will never go back with this particular Pioneer as an amplifier. As a preamp it's ok, but lacks the balanced outputs.

The best decision this year was to add the XPR amps. I had very good Pioneer Elite receiver in the past (VSX72-TXV, VSX82-TXS, VSX94-TXH) but this one, with the ICE technology is a disaster. Maybe it was a lemon, but I had to replace the main circuit board on warranty because it fried and even after the repair it would always go into digital protection.

The sound of the XPR in my humble opinion is way better and offers much more dynamic and musicality than this particular Elite. Don't get me wrong... I love Pioneer products, but not the SC-35 I currently have.

That said, I prefer to have the amps components in the basement for 3 reasons:
1- Heat (my actual audio-video rack is in a ventilated closed space and heat dissipation is complicated)
2- Space and convenience (I'm adding a turntable and it doesn't fit in a 19 in rack)
3- Magnetic fields (I do not want my turntable over 2 big XPR amplifiers)[/quot

In the end all we have to rely on is our own experiences and I don't make apologies when share them. I cant afford XPR's but I have an XPA-3 and a 5 on the way and I like them. I have 4 ohm speakers and that's my excuse to add external amps,and I never expected them to change how my system sounds but I am happy with my EMO's and the price is what I am comfortable with. I think pioneer wasted time and money trying to be different with the ice amps, having them tuned in England at Air Studio's, which begs the question why tune an amp if they all sound the same. Go figure. You make many good points to justify your decisions, sounds like the sort of things I would go over myself.

Richard
post #13 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Anthem is $3800 plus $150 shipping. The asking price was $4000 CA. That's the lowest he will go.
Going with the Marantz makes sense... but some people told me Anthem was not in the same league... supposedly far superior. I am not sure I would see or hear a difference between the AV8801 and the Anthem.

If I get the Marantz I will ebay it. even with the dollar difference and duty and shipping its way cheaper.
post #14 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

So you believe that when someone thinks that both are a mistake, one should not say so?  If that is what you believe, you should be complaining about a whole bunch of other people and their posts and not just me.  It is very common for people to suggest something other than what the person originally had in mind.

I am not forcing anything on him.  He is free to choose as he sees fit.  He can choose to accept or reject any advice anyone gives.

It is strange that you believe that when people ask for advice, that one ought not give what one considers to be the best advice regarding the issue at hand, and only select from among the ideas presented by the person asking for advice.  And it would be surprising if you followed that approach in all of your posts.

I not sure what we are arguing about here. The OP asked Anthem or Marantz and you tell him neither. How is that helpful. I try to stay on point and answer only if I think I can say something helpful, though I am human and do get off track and even say things that are dead wrong. What I try not to do is poo poo on people whenever they start talking about amps and separates. Do people need amps? probably not but if they want one who am I to tell them otherwise. I have 3 boys, I tell them not to do things cause I did them already and I know the results, guess what , 21 yrs later they still don't listen. So the OP wants a pre/pro I have researched them and still am so I am sharing my opinion on the matter . Hopefully when he decides he will share back and it will help me. I am now done talking about this, find someone to give you a big hug and move on smile.gif

Richard
post #15 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

You said you were getting back into vinyl, what TT did you end up picking up. I jumped back in to vinyl a couple years ago, I ended up getting a Music Hall MMF 7.1 and a Pro-ject tube box se II. I would really like to get a Clearaudio Solution TT one day, they are really sexy looking to me.

Richard
post #16 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mr Ripper... thanks but no thanks. That's not the kind of advice or constructive conversation I'm looking for. I would really appreciate if you would stop making intervention on this thread. Have a nice evening.
Gilles
post #17 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Richard,
I bought a Pro-Ject 6perspeX turntable with Ortofon 2M Black cartridge and a SimAudio Moon 310LP phono stage (with unbalanced and balanced output).
Very nice turntable. I'm rediscovering the sound of vinyl and it's so great!
I bought some new audiophile quality vinyl records and I'm amazed how it sounds.
I still have around 2000 vinyls records from the 70's and 80's in my basement that I am rediscovering !
On the wish list is a record cleaning machine also... but one step at the time smile.gif
post #18 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like a sweet setup. I really enjoy the process of playing my vinyl. I kept all my records from the 80's . I made a record cleaner using a Little Green Machine steam cleaner, the crevice wand, hot glue gun and some velvet along with home made cleaner and cleaned all my albums. I hang out a bit at Vinyl Engine from time to time and learned a lot there. My first TT was a Pioneer Pl630 which I still have. I almost bought the 2m black after I accidently bent the stylus on my Ortofon Mojo . Where are you located.

Richard
post #19 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 PM

Liked: 22
Would Marantz AV7701 be an option for you? It does have balanced pre-outs and pretty much all connectivity one might need. I mention this because you indicated that room correction circuitry is not all that important to you. With Marantz AV8801 and Anthem pre-pro, you are paying a premium for top of the line room correction software that you may not end up using. AV7701 has a lesser version of Audyssey compared to AV8801; however, other than that it's a very solid pre-pro that retails for $2k less than AV8801.
post #20 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm located on the south shore of Montreal and you?
post #21 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

About as far from you as you can get I think. Whitehorse Yukon.
post #22 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I know someone who will buy the Anthem at this price. Please give me link or info. Thanks

post #23 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

Would Marantz AV7701 be an option for you? It does have balanced pre-outs and pretty much all connectivity one might need. I mention this because you indicated that room correction circuitry is not all that important to you. With Marantz AV8801 and Anthem pre-pro, you are paying a premium for top of the line room correction software that you may not end up using. AV7701 has a lesser version of Audyssey compared to AV8801; however, other than that it's a very solid pre-pro that retails for $2k less than AV8801.

I did not look at this particular model. I generally prefer having the latest version of an equipment because I hope to keep it for a while. I'm not sure, but I thought there were major differences with the quality of the newer AV8801 apart from the room correction version?
post #24 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Something I did add was a Qup tone arm lifter, I was spoiled with an automatic turntable and have lots of distractions and having an expensive stylus banging against the label seems not like a great idea.

I cant remember exactly where I read this but the Yamaha apparently is made with all Japanese caps etc hand picked and tested. it is also 11.2 , an article I read in sound and vision , the reviewer owned the 8801 and said if he hadn't bought it already the Yamaha would have stayed. Quite an endorsement.
post #25 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Something I did add was a Qup tone arm lifter, I was spoiled with an automatic turntable and have lots of distractions and having an expensive stylus banging against the label seems not like a great idea.
That's a nice add on! Very convenient. Thanks for the tip smile.gif
post #26 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 PM

Liked: 10

Glaferri i would appreciate info for purchasing the Anthem AVM 50v 3D.Thanks

post #27 of 35 Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingaling View Post

Glaferri i would appreciate info for purchasing the Anthem AVM 50v 3D.Thanks

If I decide to buy the AV8801 I will glady share the info... but my decision is not made yet. The Anthem is still a very viable option.
post #28 of 35 Old 02-03-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 50
with a 50/50 mix of music and HT...I would go Anthem

I am assuming you mean 2 channel unprocessed music?

I dont think the Marantz is going to be as musical as them Anthem

If you were very heavy home theater and like matrix ed music I would go with the Marantz

for HT they are probably pretty close with the Marantz having more bells and whistles than the Anthem.....as the Asians typically do

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #29 of 35 Old 02-03-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I replaced an Anthem AVM20 v2 (v2 essentially an AVM 30) with the 8801 and am a 80/20 on music and movies, the 8801 is no slouch for music and for movies with Audyssey is a powerhouse of pans and emersion that was a real ear and eye opener. I say 8801 as it has only elevated my love music & movies wink.gif
post #30 of 35 Old 02-03-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

I have decided to buy the Yamaha CX-A5000. I can't believe it myself! It was not even on my watch list. lol
After Socketman told me to take a look at this option, I did some research in the forums, read some reviews and talk with a friend who owns an audio shop. He could sell me either a Marantz, Denon, Anthem, Moon, Onkyo, Integra or Yamaha as he is an authorized dealer for these brands. He was convinced that I would be very happy with the Yamaha. If I'm not satisfied I will be able to return it no questions asked. He is that confident about the new CX-A5000. I have decided to give it a try as I have nothing to loose.
Thanks everyone for your input and support.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av8801
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page