Optical audio on Sony STR-DH540 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm trying to set up my STR-DH540 to take the optical audio out from my TV for over the air broadcasts. 

There is an HDMI cable from the receiver's TV port to the TV HDMI input. (ideally I'd use HDMI-ARC, but it seems buggy. See my other thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515656/samsung-smart-tv-un40f6300-unreliable-hdmi-arc )

Optical cable from TV's optical out to receiver's opt-in #2.

When receiver is in 'TV" mode, I can't get the audio. When I press 'input mode' it is permanently in 'Analog' mode for whatever reason. Nothing changes when I hit the button and it almost looks 'greyed out'.

If I change to any other receiver input, I can hit 'input mode' until it says Optical, and then I can hear the TV audio as expected.

So basically, is there any way to get this thing to use optical audio when the receiver is in 'TV" mode?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Check out "Audio Input Assign" on page 51/52 of the manual.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, tried that. 'TV" input seems to be the only input that you can't assign audio to. It is missing from the on-screen menu, and the chart from page 52. 

Which is strange because page 22 says that is what you need to do to use optical from your TV.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Receiver page 22 states set tv audio out to fixed and set receiver hdmi audio out
to TV+AMP in the hdmi settings menu. Have you done both of those?

Also look for hdmi control or hdmi cec and try turning that and arc off in both devices.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think setting TV audio out to 'fixed' applies to me. The word 'fixed' does not appear in the entire manual for my TV (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201308/20130813132610569/[ENG_US]X12ATSCF-1.119.pdf) Anyway, I know the TV is outputting its audio.

CEC is off in both devices. Arc is off on the TV (audio out set to External speakers). I don't think the receiver has an ARC setting specifically beyond the Input Mode which doesn't seem to work on this input only.

It's really just an aesthetic thing at this point, having to push a non-TV button on the remote to activate TV audio. But I am replacing the remote with a Harmony remote today, so..

Old 02-05-2014, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

You are correct. ARC is only controlled by cycling through the Input Mode. I am stumped.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelluk View Post

I'm trying to set up my STR-DH540 to take the optical audio out from my TV for over the air broadcasts. Optical cable from TV's optical out to receiver's opt-in #2.

When receiver is in 'TV" mode, I can't get the audio. When I press 'input mode' it is permanently in 'Analog' mode for whatever reason. Nothing changes when I hit the button and it almost looks 'greyed out'.

If I change to any other receiver input, I can hit 'input mode' until it says Optical, and then I can hear the TV audio as expected.

So basically, is there any way to get this thing to use optical audio when the receiver is in 'TV" mode?

Hi nelluk, double check the optical cable doesn't have any small protective plastic caps at end. Also for testing try opt-in #1 or try another source e.g xbox, BD player etc... to see if it get sound.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

No caps. As I've said the cable works fine for any other input except for TV, so I think we can eliminate the TV and the cable as sources of the problem.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Try clearing the settings as described on page 52. It should set everything back to the defaults and hopefully opt2 goes back to TV.

Afro GT
Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Resetting the unit solved the problem. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Glad it worked.

Afro GT