Bad speaker or bad receiver? (Onkyo 818) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-04-2014, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brief history of problems with this Onkyo 818:

- Audyssey gets stuck on "measuring left..." (ongoing problem despite the unit being in for repair twice)

- 1st repair - after unit burst into flames until I quickly shut it off

- 2nd repair - it worked for a few hours after 1st repair and then died (unit would shut off immediately every time I tried to turn it on)

After this second repair they told me they had to replace the "SR channel" (surround?) and that I likely had a bad speaker. They think my Audyssey problem is caused by a bad speaker as well, but I'm not so sure.

Pretty sure my wiring is clean. I even redid my wiring with a thicker gauge in-between repairs, and I'm always very careful and use banana plugs.

Am I correct in assuming "SR channel" points to one of my surround speakers if it is indeed being caused by a bad speaker? I noticed for the first time since getting it back recently that almost no sound was coming from my rear right when compared to my rear left, but I'm not sure if that's a sign of a bad speaker or a symptom of a bad receiver.

EDIT: Speakers are all infinity Primus, 2x P362 fronts, PC350 center, 2x P163BK rears (and just realized the warranty on my rears expired Jan 22... awesome)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 253
To check for a bad speaker, get a multimeter and check the resistance across the speaker terminals.

The main thing you are looking for is that two speakers that are the same model should measure the same. The actual value is not important, and this is NOT the impedance of the speaker you are measuring, but the DC Resistance, which is not the same.

If one is a lot lower than the other, something is probably shorted out in that one (or open in the other one).

To cause what you are experiencing, it would have to be a pretty bad short.

If they check OK that way, try connecting one speaker at a time to a known good amplifier or an audio signal generator.

As far as that one channel that has low output, exchange that speaker and the other one of the same type. If the problem moves with the speaker, the speaker is bad.

If the problem does not move when you swap the speakers, it is obviously the receiver channel that is bad.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Necro thread, but I never did solve this. Have to get my hands on a multimeter, but I think I was wrong about one of the rears sounding lower than the other. It must have been the content that was playing at the time, because when I purposefully tried to reproduce it, they both sounded fine.

I also brought it back to the repair center to have the Audyssey problem looked at, only they told me it works fine, and the guy told me just to configure it manually to "whatever sounds best".

Long story short, I've been a little scared to hook up my rear speakers, so I've been basically listening to uncalibrated 3.1 for the last few months.

Only good news is that I had an extra year longer on the warranty than I thought.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
if it burst into flames I would have asked for a replacement, not a repair.

I'd always be leery of a receiver that did that and never have confidence in it.

Afro GT
post #5 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I actually asked about that, but was told Onkyo only did that for units that had already had multiple repairs. I guess at least if it breaks again, maybe they finally will just replace it. Only thing is I still won't know if it's a bad speaker or the receiver, so I won't know how careful I need to be with the replacement. This is assuming I hook up my rears again... it's been fine since I disconnected them, outside Audyssey still not working.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I agree with commsysman.

In the first place, the receiver should have entered into protection mode upon sensing faulty or damaged speakers. I think OPs receiver is the one faulty.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I just realized the rear right connectors on the receiver don't work. The speaker and wire work off the rear left channel so I'm assuming at least this has to be a receiver problem.

I think I'm going to call Onkyo and talk to them first rather than deal straight with the repair center this time. Really need to get them to replace this thing. Especially don't want to wait yet another month without a receiver while they wait for parts.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to Onkyo yesterday, they suggested I call back to talk to a supervisor during regular business hours about having it replaced since this receiver has been through so much already. I asked about having a bad speaker since the surround right channel keeps blowing, the guy thought about it but did mention it was weird the receiver didn't go into protection mode.

However, I just realized something. My speakers are officially rated at 8 ohms, but reviews say they're actually 4 ohm speakers. Any chance having the wrong impedance selected can cause issues like this?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page