Preamp/ Processor or Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-06-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this question has been asked before but technology changes so quickly I wanted to ask the gurus in 2014....Here's my story.

I'm in the process of building a very low budget basement theater/media room. The room is aprox 18' X 16', I'm just in the ruff build stage with the walls, but I'm about to start electrical and low voltage wiring. I'll be running both a projector (Epson 5030) and a flat screen mounted on a wall, I'll be running all powered speakers, right now a mix of Emotiva and Adam powered monitors. My question...I have a Sunfire Theater grand processor, it sounds fine and I can run 7.1 analog out of my oppo to the Sunfire for the higher surround formats but the Sunfire does not have video HDMI switching. I'd love a new processor, Marantz, Integra, Yamaha...etc...but the cost of a pre/pro is outrageous and out of my price range....I just tried a Marantz SR7005 used but the unit had a problem and had to return it without being able to see what it could do....

My speakers all have XLR inputs as well as rca (except for the Emotiva Stealth 8 mains...xlr only) I'm wondering if buying a 9.2 receiver with preouts (RCA's) and using XLR to RCA adapters would be the cheaper alternative to a stand alone pre pro? I'm looking for a receiver with dual hdmi outs, two subs, Audyssey xt32 for about $1000'ish....
Options? Opinions?

Thanks

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-06-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 135
AV pre-power is big bucks as you have found out, have Lexicon and no way would pay for the £4500 asking price when new. Even at £1000 it was a lot of money.

Since your speakers are active, then I'd probably go for a av amplifier with pre-outs. Basic model as you won't need higher end models with their more powerful amplifiers.

Lack of HDMI isn't the end of the world, I bought a Octavia and Oppo switcher for about £30-£40 each, granted it means optical/coaxial as well but they're cheap, or have them in box anyway...and HDMI cables are cheap so extra routing isn't a big deal. For Master Audio, use the 5.1 analogue input

I would personally keep what you have. Couple of hundred bucks will get you into HDMI realm. As for room correction just using anti mode.

Would I like a new av pre-amp with the same features of the ? Yeah but not at £5000.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 3 Old 02-06-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have thought about keeping what I have and going with a DVDO quick6 hdmi switcher...the Sunfire pre sounds very good, but wanted to see if it made since to upgrade

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page