New receiver? How many watts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-06-2014, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently I have an old HTIB system from probably 10 years ago. It's an Onkyo HT-S760. It's done a decent job over the last 10 years. Unfortunately the receiver, an HT-R510, doesn't support HDMI. I want to upgrade to one that supports HDMI, but I haven't a clue how much power I require. According to the manual for the HT-R510, it delivers 100watts RMS, with 2 channels at 20hz-20khz. That seems to be a standard unit of measure.

My needs are incredibly modest. I don't need a network enabled AVR. I just want something with HDMI (only need 2 inputs) and enough power to drive the speakers that came with the HT-S760 (5.1 only, not 6.1). I also need some component input (1 input), a couple digital optical inputs, standard stuff. I don't need Pandora, an iPhone app, anything like that.

I started looking at the Yamaha RX-V675, but honestly, $600 seems like an awful lot to spend when I don't need or want any of those features. Per the specs it only does 90watts RMS. How is that possible when at $600 it's more expensive than the entire HTIB was when I bought it 10 years ago? The RX-V375 has only the features I need/want, but it is only spec'ed at 70 watts RMS. So now I'm thoroughly confused. If I get the RX-V375, is it going to be a problem with my speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-06-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Your required features are minimal..
And the speakers don't require alot of power, the 375 should work fine for you..

Just my $0.05... ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page