Bluray Audio Issue with Pioneer VSX 1021 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help. Tonight while trying to watch a blue ray disc I am having problems with the audio.

When dvd initially loads, the video and audio are fine, I have full audio playback until I get to the main feature, at which point the voice of the characters goes mute. Switching to another language results in a slight sound of the audio tracks, but not what it should be. Narration audio works fine.

IF I unplug the hdmi cable athe 102, the audio works fine and will continue until the disc is ejected and then the issue starts again. This has occurred in the same manner with 4 different blue ray disc tonight. There is no issue with regular dvds.

Thoughts???

As reference I am using a Sony BDP-BX57 into the BD IN hdmi on the 1021 and use a Harmony 650 remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd9fy View Post

Help. Tonight while trying to watch a blue ray disc I am having problems with the audio.

When dvd initially loads, the video and audio are fine, I have full audio playback until I get to the main feature, at which point the voice of the characters goes mute. Switching to another language results in a slight sound of the audio tracks, but not what it should be. Narration audio works fine.

IF I unplug the hdmi cable athe 102, the audio works fine and will continue until the disc is ejected and then the issue starts again. This has occurred in the same manner with 4 different blue ray disc tonight. There is no issue with regular dvds.

Thoughts???

As reference I am using a Sony BDP-BX57 into the BD IN hdmi on the 1021 and use a Harmony 650 remote.

Check your firmware. Update it if needed.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=6939&mdl=BDPBX57
post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the thought, I checked and the Sony is at .MOR.4.788.

Interestingly when I turned the system on there was no audio or video from the Sony to the AVR. Unplugging and reinserting the hdmi in the back of the AVR resolved that and cannot be repeated after multiple off/on cycles. There still is not the voice audio in the main portion of the movie, just the background tracks. Previews continue to have all audio playing.

***UPDATE: What appears to be happening is that initially the 1021, which is set to Auto HDMI is only using the L & R channel, but upon pulling and reinserting the hdmi, the C, SL, SR channels are also activated along with LFE. Given I am only using a 2.0 set up this is the issue, so how do I resolve?
post #4 of 4 Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 PM

Liked: 12
dzd9fy,

I've had a Pioneer VSX-1021-K for just over a year and sold it recently as I had what some would call an upgrade. However, the 1021 served me exceptionally well and was my first ever AVR. Was very pleased with it!

Anyways, it seems to me that you may simply need to recalibrate the speaker setup that your 1021 thinks it has by using its room correction feature, the MCACC. You should have the microphone and cable that comes with the 1021 for this purpose. Running through the process it will determine that you have just a 2.0 setup as that is what you say you have, and then when you play a movie it will simply downmix any 5.1 / 7.1 or whatever the media is capable of to your 2.0 arrangement. I found the MCACC worked very well in my set up and when I initialy got the 1021 all I had was a 2.0 setup myself. As the months went by I purchased suround speakers, then center, then a sub and each time I added new speakers to the mix I re-ran the MCACC software and auto calibration and it worked fine.

Maybe that is all you need to do?

But if you have done this then no, I do not know what the issue might be at this stage.

Hope the above does prove useful.

Regards,

Asterus.

Another one bites the dust...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page