Replacing sub, do i need to rerun audysey if i dont use it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a marantz receiver and Im upgrading my sub to an svs. Long ago I turned audyssy off because its not used anyways with bluray. Does audyssy do anything else thats important? I have a meter to set my levels by and speaker distance wont change. Im really happy with the current sound and am reluctant to run it again as i seem to get different results everytime anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Audyssey calibrates your speakers and sub to your room. I recommend it but totally up to you if you don't want to use it.

If you want to manually set your levels with a SPL meter then do so. In the end you're the one that has to be pleased with your setup. If it sounds good to you then you're golden!

Good luck
Quote:
I turned audyssy off because its not used anyways with bluray.

What does that even mean? If Audyssey is activated it is used with whatever source your are currently listening to.

Afro GT
post #3 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not on my Marantz 7002. According to the manual it does not use the audysey eq settings for bluray, only dvd. Since I no longer watch dvd I disabled it in the receiver. I figure if I do pop in a DVD some day I don't want the sound settings different from what I am used to.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Let me re-phrase that. It states Acoustic EQ modes are not used with dolby true HD, dolby digital plus, or DTS HD. So it's the eq mode that I don't use. If that is turned off audyssy isn't really doing anything for me right?
post #5 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post

Let me re-phrase that. It states Acoustic EQ modes are not used with dolby true HD, dolby digital plus, or DTS HD. So it's the eq mode that I don't use. If that is turned off audyssy isn't really doing anything for me right?

I would have to see the page explaining why EQ calibration is not run with Blu Ray audio ...doesn't make sense at all. Blu Ray's lossless audio codecs do nothing to alter the acoustics in your room. Whether you are playing a lossy soundtrack from a DVD or TrueHD encoded soundtrack from a Blu ray they both would (one assume) benefit from your receiver's Audyssey EQ. Depending on the physical makeup of your room, acoustic treatments etc...will depend on how much EQ is needed in conjunction with your receiver, speakers etc.

You may determine you prefer the sound of your room without the EQ activated...you are obviously the final judge. But if it benefits dvd soundtracks, it will benefit blu ray soundtracks as well.

Maybe someone will correct me, but I can't think of an exception to the rule.

On a related note, bass (typically) would be served most from EQ. Again, it's room, sub placement, acoustic treatments etc that play into the correct answer....but "generally" speaking EQ bass helps to tame peaks, nulls etc etc...creating a flatter response across your listening area. ie if your bass is bloated, you might not hear the full dynamic range of the soundtrack. Some confuse bloated bass with being impactful strong bass....one can have a tight strong bass without being bloated.

I'm sure others with more knowledge than me go flush out the details..

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #6 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I will admit that the sound is a bit better with audysy enabled (wish I could spell that). However, the problem I ran into is DTS tracks etc were sounding a bit worse since they weren't using the eq settings all. I didn't like the idea of feeling that the big block buster movies didn't sound as good as others. So one day I turned it off and got used to it. Now DTS sounds better whenever I get to select it on a bluray.

You can download the manual here if you want to look at it. Page 56, middle bottom, is where it shows the acoustic eq modes. Look under notes.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?Catid=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR7002
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Well since you didn't state your model in the original post this didn't make any sense. All of my Denon HDMI receivers have no problem using Audssey with lossless HDMI audio. Your problem might be unique to the Marantz SR8002 and possibly SR7002 receivers

If that is the case then maybe you have to calibrate your system with a SPL meter.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page