Problem with amp or speakers? - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Problem with amp or speakers?
maxpowers5's Avatar maxpowers5 11:08 AM 02-15-2014
I have a Lepai LP-2020A hooked up to 2 Energy C-100 speakers. This then connects to my devices via headphone jack. I have used this setup for quite some time. I recently unplugged it from my surface pro while it was still on, and it made a pop sound. Oh well, I have done this before, no biggy. Now when I try to plug it into my surface pro, and turn it on, it makes a continuous popping sound. Really fast pops. It is not even recognized as being plugged in. I plug it into my other laptop and it is not recognized. I plug it into my phone (Note 3) and it works fine. I have readjusted the cables and switched out the auxiliary cable.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

budwich's Avatar budwich 11:53 AM 02-15-2014
It "sounds" like you damaged the input stage.... :-( the likely reason for one source working and not others is the amount of power (or impedance) that one works with versus the others.
arnyk's Avatar arnyk 12:00 PM 02-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowers5 View Post

I have a Lepai LP-2020A hooked up to 2 Energy C-100 speakers. This then connects to my devices via headphone jack. I have used this setup for quite some time. I recently unplugged it from my surface pro while it was still on, and it made a pop sound. Oh well, I have done this before, no biggy. Now when I try to plug it into my surface pro, and turn it on, it makes a continuous popping sound. Really fast pops. It is not even recognized as being plugged in. I plug it into my other laptop and it is not recognized. I plug it into my phone (Note 3) and it works fine. I have readjusted the cables and switched out the auxiliary cable.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Own up to the fact that you fried an under $20 power amp and either buy a new one or something better.
jdcrox's Avatar jdcrox 02:57 PM 02-15-2014
Really ArnyK? Way to welcome in a new member there buddy!rolleyes.gif
maxpowers5's Avatar maxpowers5 05:56 PM 02-15-2014
Thank you. So it may be fried. I initially bought the amp because I had the speakers and wire laying around not being used so I put them with my office computer to give a little boost to sound. Not entirely needed, but I enjoy it.
My options would be to get a new one and be more careful when unplugging it. Is there any other way to fix it? Take it apart, replace the component? Put it in the oven...? I know there are tricks and I am asking more for the fact that I am curious about electronics.
Socketman's Avatar Socketman 06:16 PM 02-15-2014
if you plug the note 3 into the lepai it works?
budwich's Avatar budwich 08:45 PM 02-15-2014
You could probably fix it IF you have some electrical skills and maybe some schematic drawings and / or understanding of the circuit layout.

I suspect its either a capacitor or maybe the input "IC" as it is likely some form of low cost "op-amp" IC. IF you have / had access to a scope, you could probably readily find the issue since you can get it to work in one configuration and not in another... thus with a scope you could probe the circuit along the way and see where the difference occurs.
Tags: Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers
Up
Mobile  Desktop