Problem with amp or speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Lepai LP-2020A hooked up to 2 Energy C-100 speakers. This then connects to my devices via headphone jack. I have used this setup for quite some time. I recently unplugged it from my surface pro while it was still on, and it made a pop sound. Oh well, I have done this before, no biggy. Now when I try to plug it into my surface pro, and turn it on, it makes a continuous popping sound. Really fast pops. It is not even recognized as being plugged in. I plug it into my other laptop and it is not recognized. I plug it into my phone (Note 3) and it works fine. I have readjusted the cables and switched out the auxiliary cable.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
It "sounds" like you damaged the input stage.... :-( the likely reason for one source working and not others is the amount of power (or impedance) that one works with versus the others.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowers5 View Post

I have a Lepai LP-2020A hooked up to 2 Energy C-100 speakers. This then connects to my devices via headphone jack. I have used this setup for quite some time. I recently unplugged it from my surface pro while it was still on, and it made a pop sound. Oh well, I have done this before, no biggy. Now when I try to plug it into my surface pro, and turn it on, it makes a continuous popping sound. Really fast pops. It is not even recognized as being plugged in. I plug it into my other laptop and it is not recognized. I plug it into my phone (Note 3) and it works fine. I have readjusted the cables and switched out the auxiliary cable.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Own up to the fact that you fried an under $20 power amp and either buy a new one or something better.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Really ArnyK? Way to welcome in a new member there buddy!rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you. So it may be fried. I initially bought the amp because I had the speakers and wire laying around not being used so I put them with my office computer to give a little boost to sound. Not entirely needed, but I enjoy it.
My options would be to get a new one and be more careful when unplugging it. Is there any other way to fix it? Take it apart, replace the component? Put it in the oven...? I know there are tricks and I am asking more for the fact that I am curious about electronics.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
if you plug the note 3 into the lepai it works?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
You could probably fix it IF you have some electrical skills and maybe some schematic drawings and / or understanding of the circuit layout.

I suspect its either a capacitor or maybe the input "IC" as it is likely some form of low cost "op-amp" IC. IF you have / had access to a scope, you could probably readily find the issue since you can get it to work in one configuration and not in another... thus with a scope you could probe the circuit along the way and see where the difference occurs.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page