yamaha aventage rx-3000 vs denon x4000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-16-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently own a yamaha receiver the rx3000. It's a great receiver has great power. For speakers I have :
Definitive technology bp8bs fronts
Clr2002 center
Bpx surrounds
svs Pb10
My fronts are soon to be replaced by def tech studio monitor sm65. Now while I do like the yamaha alot, it's always been hard to fine tune. What I mean is ypao has always left my speakers very bright. I've messed with the settings but can never get it to sound smooth especially with music. It also has a hard time adjusting my sub. It could be my room but I also think that audyssey would be a much better calibrating system. Would using the denon x4000 be an upgrade? Which ones has the better quality sound? Would I have to step - up to the denon 4520? If I go the x4000 route, il be able to step up to dual subs. I would replace my svs pb10 and get dual svs sb-2000. If I go the 4520 route, that's all I would be able to afford. By the way my room is not huge it's a 1900 cf room with a few openings. The yamaha has more than enough power so I've never had a problem with that. I've been listening alot more to music and just starting to get into high - resolution music. So sound quality matters. But I love movies just as equally also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Let me tell you a secret that every professional installer knows.

JOB 1 is to turn off Audyssey and set the receiver for 2 channels only, and find the location where your main two speakers sound the best in the room.

Listen carefully for the best stereo imaging and bass response with the subwoofer and other channels OFF.

NOTHING Audyssey can do will make your system right if you don't do this first!

And once you have them placed properly, never move them, no matter what!

A second secret-

Audyssey gets it all wrong half of the time.

You often get the best sound without it. Many published receiver and speaker reviews mention that they had to simply turn it off to get the best sound.

There are so many acoustical variables and speaker types that it can't always cope with them all adequately.

As for getting a major sonic improvement, you won't get it with a Denon receiver. My experience has been that the best sound quality, by far, comes from Cambridge Audio receivers, closely followed by NAD receivers. Almost any receiver has plenty of power for most speakers, but the published power specs are stupid and meaningless for the most part. The power delivered to a simple resistive load is not a very useful test, and that is all anyone publishes. Speakers have capacitive and inductive reactances, and amplifiers have a LOT more distortion when driving any speaker. NAD and Cambridge design much better amplifiers which produce a LOT less distortion when actually driving speakers.

BTW- The Deftech claim that those BP8 speakers go down to 22 Hz (with two 5-inch drivers??) is a really bad joke. I would set my main speaker to go down to around 50 Hz and then set the sub to operate below 50 Hz only.
Ervin likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-16-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I'm replacing the bp8bs with the studio monitor sm65. These are are not bipolar like the the bp8bs. While they do have bass you're right I cross them at 60hz. The newer speakers should sound better. Il definitely play around with placement for sure.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-16-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
If you get a Cambridge Audio or NAD receiver, I think you will be amazed at the improvement in the sound quality.

The SM65 seems to be getting great professional reviews. i suspect that they will also be a big improvement.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-16-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I would go for the Denon X4000 in your case. It has the ability with XT32 and other features for calibrating dual subs. I'm a major Yamaha fan and have the Yamaha RX-A3000. It is not in use at this time because I like my H/K 7550HD a lot more. Try the X4000 from someone with a good return policy, try it in your room with your speakers to find out for yourself. Only way to know for sure.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Denon x4000 seems like the best choice so far. It also gives me the ability to have dual subs. I'm just gonna wait and see how my new speakers play with the yamaha.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3000 7 1 Channel Audio Video Receiver Black , Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology C L R 2002 Speaker Single Black , Svs Pb2000 , Svs Sb2000 , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page