Going nuts making choice... X-4000 or SC72 or NR818... Any help is appreciated. Trying to stay under $800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading and reading and reading. I just want to have a descent receiver that will work well for movies, stream music from NAS and also play hi def music well. I am leaning toward Denon and Onkyo. THe x4000 and NR818. Any help is welcomed. I am also open to refurbs too. I think the Denon may be the best for me. My speaker setup will be a Klipsch theater setup with CF1's and matching center and surrounds, I want to have zone 2 that will be just for music, a set of Magnapan MMG's. I do have two polk subs as well to add to the mix as needed. 12" sub for theater and 10" to match up with Maggies. Eventually I would spend some money and get a dedicated stereo amp for the maggies, but for now, I'll just use a zone of the AV receiver. So, which receiver would be my best choice?

THanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
go for the x4000. 818 does not have SubEQ. However the Pioneer probably has the strongest amps of the 3.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Liked: 36
Tough call,

I see the comparison from my perspective as...

X4000 - XT32, SubEQ and 4K pass-through but weakest amp section (still not too bad tho and Klipshs generally don't need tons of power).
NR818 - XT32, beefy amp (50% heavier than X4000) but no 4K passthrough (upscaling only) and no SubEQ
SC72 - Strong class D amp (not generally a fan of class D but these do measure quite well and are fairly grunty without as much weight) and 4K pass-through but no dual sub time alignment during auto calibration (SubEQ on the other receivers) and I prefer XT32 to MCCAC.

If I couldn't wait for HDMI 2.0 I would get an NR929 but I have a miniDSP so don't need SubEQ.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 02:59 PM

+1 on the 929. It is in the same price range as the X4000, yet you are comparing the older 818 to the X4000.

Since you have Klipsch speakers, I would say the 929 all the way, but you are wanting to drive Maggies in a second zone, which aren't an easy load for receivers. Although the Onkyo 929 may seem to have more power than the SC72(160W vs 130W), when the impedance drops and # of channels go up, the Pioneer looks much much better. There isn't even a proper rating for 4 ohm loads on the Onkyo, just a "dynamic" rating with one channel driven whatever that means nor is there a rating with all channels driven simultaneously. The Pioneer publishes 660W with all channels driven into 8ohms (~90W x7, 1%) and 210W into 4 ohms with BOTH channels driven at clipping. That's a beefy amp section in an HT receiver at that price.

Would I pair the Onkyo with MMG's? No.
Would I pair the Pioneer with MMG's? Probably.
Which has better room EQ? The Onkyo.

Tough choice. If you can maybe get a cheap amp for the MMG's(there is an Emotiva UPA-200 for $150 fs here) and hook it up to the preout on the 929, I think that would be the best compromise.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Liked: 36
Some measurements of similar receivers for consideration...

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr828-av-receiver-test-bench

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-68-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Either of the Onkyo amps or the Pioneer should drive a pair of 4ohm speakers equally well at moderate volumes.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass View Post

Some measurements of similar receivers for consideration...

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr828-av-receiver-test-bench

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-68-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Either of the Onkyo amps or the Pioneer should drive a pair of 4ohm speakers equally well at moderate volumes.

Nice finds. I take back what I said about the Pioneer having a beefier amp section. I'm impressed with those measurements on the Onkyo.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Might be a bit too far out of the price range and don't have all the bells and whistles of the mentioned receivers, but I would add the Anthem MRX line to your list.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 72 , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page