Need a very good sounding, 3D ready, networking HK354 replacment. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
K the 354 needs to go, I want something the works with 3D and it never pics the right decoding when switching from my PS3 to my Xbox.

I tried a highly rated mid-level ($500 on sale for $400) last year and it sounded considerably less detailed and worse than my HW also I realized that the totally assignable and re-nameable inputs of my HK are not found on all receivers, both of which are a must for me.

Also I really like the looks and the front Aux input, a front HDMI would be nice too. I want something 9 channel so I can run 7.1 with a stereo second zone.

So are the Pioneer SC-72/75 and 77 no more? all I can find are the non Elite branded 1223 and 1323. What about the HK 3700? I've heard HK's have issues as does mine but what about the newer ones? Neither of these appear to have a front Audio input...

I really wanted to get an Anthem receiver but they don't have the networking features I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
What kind of budget do you have. I would recommend looking at the Yamaha Aventage lineup.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

What kind of budget do you have. I would recommend looking at the Yamaha Aventage lineup.
About $1000. Pioneer recivers are steeply discounted on Amazon where Denon's and Yamaha's aren't.

HK AVR 3700 is $900
Pioneer SC-1523-k is $1000
Denon X4000 is $1300 (Did Denon just change there line up to this X numbering???)
Yamaha 3030 is $2000 but the 3020 and 2030 are around $1500

Should say I love the looks of my HK but I would rather have it work than look pretty. I got my AVR 354 for 100 bucks lol and I only really need 4 or 5 HDMI inputs although most of these have a lot more.

I have the Pioneer surround sound now but I am planning on getting a full Wharfdale Diamond 7.1, idk how much power I'd need but I like the power of the 354.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-17-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 90
A bit above your budget, but the Anthem MRX line allows for fully assignable and renameable inputs similar to how your HK works; for example, you can assign an HDMI port to several inputs, but have different settings for each input like using ProLogic Music for one and Cinema for another. It also sound sounds fabulous mostly due to ARC.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
For best sound quality, the NAD and Cambridge Audio AVRs are in a class by them selves IMO. They have the lowest distortion driving actual speakers. The NAD T-758 is probably the best AVR for $1000.

Units from Yamaha, Pioneer, Anthem, Onkyo etc. are strictly second rate in their ability to drive real-world speaker systems with low distortion.

All published specs are pretty much worthless, because they test the amplifier only with a resistive load to get them This does not tell you how the amplifier will perform with the complex reactive load of a real speaker (which cheaper amplifiers can't handle very well). With any real speaker for a load, the amplifier distortion is way way higher than with only a resistive load.

Testing an amplifier only with a resistive load is like testing a group of high-performance cars only on a dynomometer, and never driving them on the road. How do you draw useful conclusions? The answer is....you don't!

That's not the real world.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

A bit above your budget, but the Anthem MRX line allows for fully assignable and renameable inputs similar to how your HK works; for example, you can assign an HDMI port to several inputs, but have different settings for each input like using ProLogic Music for one and Cinema for another. It also sound sounds fabulous mostly due to ARC.
Yeah but they don't do networking, they can only play music from an attached USB drive right? And they only have 7 amp channels, they can do 5.1 + 2nd zone but not 7.1 + 2nd zone.

I could maybe get an integrated amp for my stereo music but thats more money...
post #7 of 9 Old 02-17-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

For best sound quality, the NAD and Cambridge Audio AVRs are in a class by them selves IMO. They have the lowest distortion driving actual speakers. The NAD T-758 is probably the best AVR for $1000.

Units from Yamaha, Pioneer, Anthem, Onkyo etc. are strictly second rate in their ability to drive real-world speaker systems with low distortion.

Only a 3 watt difference into 7 channels at 0.1% THD between the following receivers:

Cambridge Azur 751R ($2,999)
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-751r-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Onkyo TX-NR3010 ($2,299)
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr3010-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

I've always had a soft spot for Cambridge Audio receivers, but they certainly don't offer value especially these days. Consider the 751R above only includes Audyssey 2EQ which you can find on a $200 receiver these days.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

Yeah but they don't do networking, they can only play music from an attached USB drive right?

That's correct, but I find you can get networking through other means such as Apple TV or BluRay players. But if you're looking for an all-in-one, I would lean towards Denon and Yamaha myself.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Only a 3 watt difference into 7 channels at 0.1% THD between the following receivers:

Cambridge Azur 751R ($2,999)
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-751r-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Onkyo TX-NR3010 ($2,299)
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr3010-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

I've always had a soft spot for Cambridge Audio receivers, but they certainly don't offer value especially these days. Consider the 751R above only includes Audyssey 2EQ which you can find on a $200 receiver these days.
The remindes me I want a good EQ, I mean some stuff has a 9 band graphic eq and them more receiver only had bass and treble.

Quote:

That's correct, but I find you can get networking through other means such as Apple TV or BluRay players. But if you're looking for an all-in-one, I would lean towards Denon and Yamaha myself.
Well I want to be able to play music from a NAS through an app on my phone.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 354 7x75w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 72 , Pioneer Elite Sc77 Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 3700 7 2 Channel Av Receiver , Pioneer Sc 1223 K 7 2 Channel Network Ready Receiver , Pioneer Sc 1323 K 7 2 Channel Network Ready Receiver , Pioneer Sc 1523 K 9 2 Channel Av Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 7x75w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page