Advice on first receiver please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone,

I have been a long time lurker and I cannot seem to make up my mind on this decision for our new place.
Here is my criteria:

- Either bluetooth or wireless streaming for Spotify
- Connection to network
- 5.1 setup eventually but only 3.1 for now (will never go to 7.1)
- Want to stay at or below $350
- Refurbished is just fine with me
- No need for dual zones

Right now I am on the waitlist for the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy trio, so that will be my starting speakers. I havn't picked a sub, but the Dayton 12" seems to be what I am leaning towards.

The living room is medium sized, 15'x18'.

I have the following choices narrowed down but am more than open to others:

Denon E300 - $244
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVRE300/DENON-AVR-E300-5.1-3D-Networking-Receiver-AirPlay/1.html

Denon E400 - $330
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVRE400/DENON-AVR-E400-7.1-4K-3D-Networking-Receiver-Airplay/1.html

Denon X1000 - $320
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVRX1000/DENON-AVR-X1000-5.1-Channel-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay/1.html

Yamaha V475 - $270
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/YAMRXV475BL/YAMAHA-RX-V475-5.1-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver/1.html

Yamaha V575 - $300
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/YAMRXV575BL/YAMAHA-RX-V575-7.2-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver-with-Airplay/1.html

I do like the Denon calibration over Yamaha, but the reliabilty of the Yamaha seems to be a big plus.

Any ideas which way I should go?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 413
None of those receivers has Bluetooth or a built in wi-fi.

hopefully you have a wireless 4 port router close by so that your can connect to the receiver with an ethernet cable.

Afro GT
post #3 of 8 Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can get a onkyo nr626 for £280 (not sure on $ price though) if you look hard enough, spotify,Bluetooth and wifi capable. smile.gif

7.1 IIz heightsOnkyo Tx-nr626 a/v receiver
Boston acoustics soundware xs se surrounds and Sub
Boston acoustics A360 Floorstanders with A25 bookshelf Centre.
Youview box, PS3, Apple TV
post #4 of 8 Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

None of those receivers has Bluetooth or a built in wi-fi.

hopefully you have a wireless 4 port router close by so that your can connect to the receiver with an ethernet cable.

I do have a powerline adapter that will go in the living room if for some reason the router cannot be located there once we move next week. I currently have an ethernet hub there connected to the powerline adapter at my current place since my 55UT50 has ethernet capability.

I don't mind snagging a bluetooth compatible plug-in device for the receiver either. Built-in was just a convenience thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve119 View Post

You can get a onkyo nr626 for £280 (not sure on $ price though) if you look hard enough, spotify,Bluetooth and wifi capable. smile.gif

I'm leaning away from Onkyo due to the issues that seem to crop up unfortunately.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Or at least simply an easy way to be able to stream Spotify to the receiver from Android and Apple products without a hit to the quality.
Steve119 likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-21-2014, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've had no problems with mine so far but know what you mean, looking on the official thread it does give you a concern over reliability. smile.gif

But at the time it was the only option for spotify and wifi and blutooth all in one. At my price range.

Would the powerline allow you to receive wireless from android or apple products? What about an Apple TV or airport express if you can't get an airplay or wifi to your receiver?

I do not know however if you would lose quality though, doesn't sound like it when I blutooth music to my av receiver. smile.gif

7.1 IIz heightsOnkyo Tx-nr626 a/v receiver
Boston acoustics soundware xs se surrounds and Sub
Boston acoustics A360 Floorstanders with A25 bookshelf Centre.
Youview box, PS3, Apple TV
post #7 of 8 Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve119 View Post

I've had no problems with mine so far but know what you mean, looking on the official thread it does give you a concern over reliability. smile.gif

But at the time it was the only option for spotify and wifi and blutooth all in one. At my price range.

Would the powerline allow you to receive wireless from android or apple products? What about an Apple TV or airport express if you can't get an airplay or wifi to your receiver?

I do not know however if you would lose quality though, doesn't sound like it when I blutooth music to my av receiver. smile.gif

Well the powerline will simply connect the receiver to my modem in an adjacent side room.

I'm still not sure if I will be using it since I may be able to route a cat 5 cable through the wall. It's only about 10ft distance, I'd just rather not have an enthernet cable routed along the outside of the wall.

Some of the receivers on my list have airplay built in, which would work for the gf's 5s but not so much for my droid. If the 6 looks decent when it arrives I may switch, but in the meantime I'd like do have droid capability for when friends come over and want to use their playlists.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-24-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well I just found that this can be used on any receiver really, so it appears I have found a solution to my Bluetooth audio dilemma:

Yamaha YBA-11
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YBA-11-Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B00B9B4IYI/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Marantz Nr1403 Slim Line Av Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1403 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page