Denon Volume - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Forgive me for maybe sounding like a newbie. I just purchased a Denon AVR-X1000 and Energy Take Classic speakers. I am concerned that I maybe did something wrong while setting them up. The set up is in a medium sized living space and the sound goes from 0-99. I have it set at 60 and it isn't all that loud while just watching regular TV programming. Is there some setting I should be checking? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
That's normal. It should be getting loud at -20dB. I assume you ran the calibration?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 65
As part of the Audyssey calibration, it asks if you want to enable Dynamic Volume. The default level it uses is Medium if you enable it, make sure to change this to Light or turn it off entirely if broadcast TV doesn't sound loud enough. Also, many channels only transmit stereo/2-channel dolby digital, which will naturally affect how many speakers are used, and how loud you perceive the content.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

That's normal. It should be getting loud at -20dB. I assume you ran the calibration?
The way her's is set up, it is reading positive numbers, it will never show her "-20dB". I do believe you can change this in the setup menu however.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thanks, I need to go get a new cable for the subwoofer, so I will try to recalibrate this evening and see if things improve. 

Old 02-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatravelgirl View Post

Forgive me for maybe sounding like a newbie. I just purchased a Denon AVR-X1000 and Energy Take Classic speakers. I am concerned that I maybe did something wrong while setting them up. The set up is in a medium sized living space and the sound goes from 0-99. I have it set at 60 and it isn't all that loud while just watching regular TV programming. Is there some setting I should be checking? 

Turning it up past 60 won't hurt it, it probably has one of those non-linear volume scales where the difference between 40 and 60 is nowhere near the difference between 60 and 80. Turn it up if you want it louder.

Also - did you run the Audyssey eq program to set levels, eqs, crossover points, etc? It may have set very low levels on the different channels - you can go in and bump them up manually if you want more volume at a lower point on the display's volume scale. You don't have to take what the machine gives you - it doesn't know your tastes!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1993 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

As part of the Audyssey calibration, it asks if you want to enable Dynamic Volume. The default level it uses is Medium if you enable it, make sure to change this to Light or turn it off entirely if broadcast TV doesn't sound loud enough. Also, many channels only transmit stereo/2-channel dolby digital, which will naturally affect how many speakers are used, and how loud you perceive the content.

Actually, Dyn Volume will produce louder dialogue as lower master volume levels, so the OP should likely leave it set at the default setting of ON/Medium.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1993 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatravelgirl View Post

After Audyssey has been run, 80 is considered movie reference volume, a master volume level you generally should not exceed to ensure the AVR has enough headroom and won't shut down in protection mode. Generally 50-70 is average movie/music listening and 40-60 is average TV listening. Your best bet is to set Dynamic Volume ON/Medium as I noted previously for TV listening.

Also note there is a whole thread dedicated to just the Denon 2013 models ... review posts #3-6 for additional helpful information to include what the firmware updates include.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134210

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Tags
Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Energy Take Classic 5 Pack 5 0 Home Theater Speaker Black