No sound from Onkyo 709 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an onkyo 709 receiver and when I went to turn it on today I was getting video but no sound on any of the inputs. I have tried to do a factory reset, but still no sound. I don't even get any sound when going to the speaker level calibration screen. I checked all of the connections and everything was fine. I am out of the warranty period but since I bought it with an American Express card I get an additional year through them so i am still covered. The problem is that I have to find a place that will service it or at least give me an estimate to send to American Express. Does anyone know of any good service locations for an Onkyo receiver in North Carolina? Specifically in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

The interesting thing is that if I leave the receiver on for a while it eventually heats up and the sound comes back on. I looked around online and apparently this is a known issue with the HDMI board. When there is no sound the network connection does not work either.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 11:30 AM

I'm having the exact same problem mad.gif on my TX-NR709. Did you ever get a resolution or repair?
post #4 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Welcome to onkyo folks, I know all brands have their issues, and there's a lemon out there for every AVR, but this is a very well documented issue with Onkyo's. My 3007 died just a few months out of warranty, they did do a 'one time' repair of it (it's a very well known issue for their AVRs, google 'Onkyo receiver no sound'). I would contact them, try to get to a supervisor and cross your fingers. My refurbed unit died again at about 18 months, same problem. I'm moving on to another brand.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 01:03 PM

Liked: 12
My 806 had the same problem. I ending up buying a Yamaha.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 05-19-2014, 02:28 AM

Hi

Same thing happened to me recently, this appears to be a common problem with Onkyo's.

From searching the web it would appear to be a problem with capacitors on the HDMI board.

I've noticed from many posts that Onkyo US and UK are giving out of warranty fixes for this issue, but since I'm in Hong Kong, I've contacted Onkyo and I am they've told me no out of warranty repairs for this issue here.

I'm considering taking it in for repair, but then that money could be better going to a new receiver.

I've also seen video's of people replacing capacitors on their receivers, however that is for a different model.

I've read a couple posts of people baking their HDMI cards and that fixing the issue. So I am considering this before going out and buying a new one.

Anyone else tried this? Supposedly baking capacitors can restore them back to life, so am seriously considering this option before going out to buy a new receiver.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by takalah View Post

The interesting thing is that if I leave the receiver on for a while it eventually heats up and the sound comes back on. I looked around online and apparently this is a known issue with the HDMI board. When there is no sound the network connection does not work either.

You probably have a slightly open circuit that shorts (returns to normal) when it heats up and expands.

If you have the experience of a typical Onkyo receiver owner, the problem will get worse. The HDMI won't work no matter how warmed up it is.

If you can get it fixed for free, then it may get you another year or two before the problem occurs again.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page