Question about volume level on Denon AVR 1912 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

On my 7.1 Denon AVR 1912, I seem to have to have the volume turned up quite considerably for the audio to be loud enough... The audio also shows up as neg decibels (is that standard?). I've adjusted the channel levels to their highest levels now, which has helped, but that seems a bit janky considering that the levels are supposed to be set by distance needs and now are all just set high. I'm not saying the sound is bad, because it isn't, it just seems a bit counterintuitive to me. Any ideas, thoughts or comments to edify me better?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
what speakers
post #3 of 6 Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Denon AVR-1912 7.1 Channel A/V Home Theater Receiver and Polk Audio 5.1 TL1600 Speaker System

post #5 of 6 Old 02-22-2014, 05:09 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
There are two volume scales that can be used (0-99 or -78db to +18db) both of which are logarithmic in that the volume will not get loud until you approach the 2/3 - 3/4 point. You are using the second scal in which the volume level negative number decreases as the volume approaches movie reference volume or 0db. The average listening level is -40db to -20db for TV listening and -30db to -10db for movie watching. Restore the Audyssey Auto settings and you should be good to go.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 6 Old 02-22-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeee View Post

On my 7.1 Denon AVR 1912, I seem to have to have the volume turned up quite considerably for the audio to be loud enough... The audio also shows up as neg decibels (is that standard?). I've adjusted the channel levels to their highest levels now, which has helped, but that seems a bit janky considering that the levels are supposed to be set by distance needs and now are all just set high. I'm not saying the sound is bad, because it isn't, it just seems a bit counterintuitive to me. Any ideas, thoughts or comments to edify me better?

It may surprise many but one of the things that one learns on the test bench is that a lot of amplifiers actually work best when their volume controls are maxed out. That may or may not relate to your situation but the take away is that running the volume control turned clockwise a lot has no actual adverse effect on sound quality. Cranking the channel trims generally costs you nothing SQ-wise. if you feel that the AVR is working harder because the volume control is up so high, its something that you perceive that has no reality outside of your brain. Playing your speakers loud makes the AVR work harder but how you get there is not important.

The best advice seems to be is to make sure that your system is optimized, using the automated tools that the AVR probably has built in, unless you know better, and about the only way you know better involves analytic software like REW a relatively inexpensive USB measurement-type microphone and spending some time climbing a learning curve that many have climbed and benefited from.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Polk Audio Tl1600 Speaker System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page