Am i running right speakers for receiver... Reciever keeps shutting off - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi I am new here... just finished running my 7.1 surround sound system (wish i would have asked this before buying and hooking everything up). I have a onkyo nr626 receiver powering  4 emp ew30's (front and back) 2 emp ew 25's (surround) 1 emp ew35 center and 1 rbh s12 sub. I turned up the overall volume on my receiver source 6db and when i have the volume up over 49 and a blue ray has real loud spot (such as huge explosion or rocket launch) right at the peak of sound receiver cuts off -_-  it turns back on no problem. I have banana clips on wires so no stray strands but my receiver gets real hot someone please help (remember im a noob at everything thanks)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I would think the avr is adequate and would look for stray wire touching each other in the back of the avr. At 49 on the avr, you are pushing it pretty hard. Do you use a sub and have all the speakers set to small in the avr? This will help with power management.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Old 02-22-2014, 09:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
These are only 6-ohm speakers and relatively inefficient at only 86db, so will require more power than more efficient and 8-ohm speakers. As noted above, visually check all wire connections again at the back of the AVR as you would't be the first to say there was a loose strand sticking out from the banana plug. Also make sure there is plenty of ventilation ...at least 3-4" on top with an open front and back, otherwise consider adding a fan or two to exhaust the air away from the AVR as the continued heat will cause an early demise.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by investor0908 View Post

Hi I am new here... just finished running my 7.1 surround sound system (wish i would have asked this before buying and hooking everything up). I have a onkyo nr626 receiver powering  4 emp ew30's (front and back) 2 emp ew 25's (surround) 1 emp ew35 center and 1 rbh s12 sub. I turned up the overall volume on my receiver source 6db and when i have the volume up over 49 and a blue ray has real loud spot (such as huge explosion or rocket launch) right at the peak of sound receiver cuts off -_-  it turns back on no problem. I have banana clips on wires so no stray strands but my receiver gets real hot someone please help (remember im a noob at everything thanks)

Keep that up and you will damage your hearing. But here is a hint. If your receiver has an 8 ohm/ 6 ohm switch, set it to 8 ohm. The 6 ohm switch merely reduces amplifier power something like a governor on a truck engine. You will probably get past those peaks better on the 8 ohm setting.

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver