$1700 for new receiver or stick with Pioneer VSX 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That only problems I have with my old Pioneer is the frequent HDMI handshake issues (which I may be able to lessen with some remote macros) and the fact that it only has 4 HDMI inputs. I have about $1,700 in my budget for a new receiver, but I am not sure if I will be getting that much more with a new receiver other than extra HDMI inputs. I've borrowed a nice 2 channel amp to power the front speakers and there was a noticeable improvement in sound quality, so I don't know if more power is needed.

The current front runner is the Onkyo 3010. I had an Onkyo in the past and liked it. It was certainly powerful although it did run hot. However having not been in the receiver market for quite some time I am not sure what else is out there or what to look for.

So first of all, is it even worth upgrading if I am only getting some extra ports?

Next, here is what I am looking for/what I use the receiver for/need...

About 10% lossless music streaming, 20% Blu-Ray, 30% streaming movies, 40% gaming
7.1 surround, but 7.2 would be very, very nice.
I would like some type of midnight listening mode / DRC option
Minimum 5 HDMI
As future proof as possible (I guess that means 4K?)
Speakers are Dali Ikon 6's, 91 db sensitivity, I think.

I don't care about multiple zones or multiple HDMI out. I have no interest in 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-22-2014, 02:52 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 777
I still use a VSX-92 which is the model just below yours. I have no motivation at all to change it because it does a super job in my home theater. and it is built a lot better than the units they are building today. If you need more HDMI ports, then that's important. If you feel that having the latest codecs is meaningful, then that's important. If the unit you want to buy has features that you need and will use, then that's important. Otherwise, I would advise to continue enjoying what you have. It is a classically great AV receiver that is built better than anything Pioneer makes today.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-24-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After a weekend of thinking about it, looking at the features I have and don't have (and don't use, of course) I think I want to go with a new receiver. I am losing the area rug in my room and my sub is a POS (I know, that should probably be upgraded first) so the Audussey EQ may be nice. Plus, in all embarrassing honesty I don't get many opportunities to get my wife to agree to spend what is a significant money to us on a piece of audio gear.

So, anyone have any other recommendations on a $1,700ish receiver?
post #4 of 11 Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarkmyers View Post

After a weekend of thinking about it, looking at the features I have and don't have (and don't use, of course) I think I want to go with a new receiver. I am losing the area rug in my room and my sub is a POS (I know, that should probably be upgraded first) so the Audussey EQ may be nice. Plus, in all embarrassing honesty I don't get many opportunities to get my wife to agree to spend what is a significant money to us on a piece of audio gear.

So, anyone have any other recommendations on a $1,700ish receiver?

What are you using for a sub that you say it is a POS?

Getting a better sub would help more than getting a better receiver.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-24-2014, 09:50 AM

If you are looking for a new receiver, I strongly recommend the Denon X4000 with its XT32 calibration. The Pioneer is nice but MCACC does nothing for the sub at all (only to around 63Hz or so).

With a $1700 budget, you have some money left over to build yourself a good sub (if your have space for it) or an OK sub with it needs to me small. You must have a large room to really notice improvement in sound quality between your receiver vs receiver + 2 channel ext amp with your 91-db speakers.

But if I were you, I would build myself a sub and budget for a 3-channel amps (or 5 channels) and some room treatments (if possible). It's solely because you already see the the benefit of an external amp and know that you sub is a POS. An external amp will outlast your receiver 3-4 times over. My earthquake cinenova amp is the oldest equipment on my setup. I even run my folded horn sub off of one of the cinemova channel (horn sub doesn't require as much power) w/o any issue.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Just curious. Do the Denon X models have plastic or metal faceplates?
post #7 of 11 Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Plastic I believe.

LG 55LW5600
Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD-D3KU HD-DVD
Bowers & Wilkins 683B s1
Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 s1
Polk F/XiA4 (Surrounds)
Paradigm Titan v3 (Back Surrounds)

Sewell 12ga terminated wiring
Klipsch Sub 12

Logitech 520

post #8 of 11 Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

"What are you using for a sub that you say it is a POS?"

I wouldn't say it is a piece of crap, well I would, and I did. What I should have said is it probably isn't as high a quality as the rest of my set up. It was one I got years ago based on recommendations from this forum. The exact model escapes me, but it was by a company called Elemental Designs. It was great for the money but in the long run I would rather have something nicer.

"If you are looking for a new receiver, I strongly recommend the Denon X4000 with its XT32 calibration. The Pioneer is nice but MCACC does nothing for the sub at all (only to around 63Hz or so)."

The MCACC did an okay job and I'm sure XT32 will do better. The reason I'm looking at Onkyo is because of past experience with the brand, but I will give Denon a second look.

A sub + receiver combo isn't a bad idea. And I would probably benefit the most from that in the short term. However, I would rather get a great receiver now and a great sub later, instead of good/good now. Also, I've never complained to my wife about problems with the sub as I have with the receiver, so I would have to start doing more convincing.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Liked: 15
With this sort of money I'd go Anthem. ARC is top-notch, even compared to Audyssey XT32 and they're designed in Canada with love. What more could you want ? CANADA !!!!
post #10 of 11 Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Go home and polish your gold medal... I didn't really think too much aboot the Anthem. I can see that I did look up a local dealer but I simply can't remember why I didn't pursue it any further.

Anywho, I went ahead and ordered the Onkyo. But with Amazon/Huppins return policy I think I can return it within 30 days if I am not satisfied and maybe I will give the Anthem another look. There is something appealing about having a non-mainstream audio product.

The reason I went with just a receiver and not a receiver and sub is that after buying a good sub - say $750 or so - I would only be left with $850 for a receiver. Granted you can get a lot of receiver for that amount of money these days, but I would have been worried that whatever I got at that price point might not have lived up to what I have come to expect from my Pioneer Elite.

Although after selling the Elite and the old sub I wonder what I could have gotten...
post #11 of 11 Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM

Liked: 15
There are some reliability concerns with Onkyo, I hope you'll be ok.

About the price choice : I think you did the right thing. You spent enough to get the best RC (be it XT32 or ARC if you change your mind). You'll buy a decent sub later !
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 94txh , Onkyo Tx Nr3010 9 2 Channel Thx Certified Network A V Receiver Black , Vsx 92txh Elite Home Theater A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr3010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page