Help choosing a new receiver for 7.2 surround set up? ~ $2,500 budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-25-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Mr47
Well its that time again, I feel the need to upgrade and I finally have the means to do so. I am looking into getting a new receiver in the next couple of months, but I really don't know where to start. I currently have a denon 1612 that does a decent job of things, but I can tell that it is a bit lacking at higher volumes for movies, and it doesn't have built in amps for the rear surrounds. I have looked at Denon's 4311CI, but feel like it is really more than I need to be honest, I have also considered a Yamaha RX-A1020, but I haven't read much on it yet. I really just need a few good suggestions so I can focus my efforts.

Overall budget, I would like to stay Below $2,500. Cheaper is better if I can get the few features I desire. I would love to have dedicated amps and a receiver with pre-outs, but I know that gets insanely expensive ( and also not really needed for my power requirements, but I like the look of all those amps in my rack lol wink.gif ), but I feel may be doable with my budget, and fairly low power requirements.

I am trying to power my Klipsch Icon series speakers:
WF 35 150W RMS; front left and right speakers
WC-24 90W RMS; Center channel Speaker
WB-14 40W RMS; Surrounds and Rears
I am also picking up two Rythmik E15hp subs for my LFE, thus the need for a 7.2 Receiver. I know I can daisy chain them, but I would like to take advantage of room correction with them.

The receiver will be used for movies about 80% of the time and music for the rest.

So here's a list of features I have to have:
Some form of room correction ( I love the difference it makes with my current Denon)
Processing for no less than 7 channels and 2 LFE channels
Adequate power for my speakers ( I figure something in the 100W to 150W range should be more than enough)

I personally like Denon, but I am not afraid of new or unfamiliar name brands. Receivers are something I know very little about since I have such little experience with them.

I would like 2 HDMI outs, but this is not a must have really.
(Like I said, not asking for to much other than the room correction)

Please feel free to ask any questions, I know I tend to leave things out. Thanks in advance! You guys have helped me many times in the past! I'm looking forward to your input!
Tyler aka "Mr47"

**EDIT** I also thought that I might point out that I have an OPPO BDP103D for a blu-ray player. I understand it can basically be used as a receiver sans the room correction and all that. Would it be worth fiddling with it and some dedicated amps, or am I better off with a full blown receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-25-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
I am also picking up two Rythmik E15hp subs for my LFE, thus the need for a 7.2 Receiver. I know I can daisy chain them, but I would like to take advantage of room correction with them.

If you want to take advantage of dual sub calibration you'll need a receiver with Sub EQ HT. The Denon 4311, x4000 and 4520 all have that. You should be able to get the x4000 under $1000 by calling JD here at AVS Forum.
Mr47 likes this.

Afro GT
post #3 of 3 Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Mr47
Well afrogt I must say you hit the nail on the head with your suggestion. I hadn't seen the x4000 till now, and it fits the bill perfectly. I can always add a stereo amp to it to power my front tower speakers if I feel it lacking at all. Just placed an order for the Denon x4000! Now I just gotta wait for the next paycheck so I can place my order for the Rythmik subs >biggrin.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Klipsch Wf 35 Icon W Series Furniture Grade Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Wc24 2 Way Center Channel Loudspeaker Espresso , Klipsch Wb 14 Icon W Series Furniture Grade Bookshelf Speakers Espresso Pair , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page