post #61 of 69 Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

I can't and won't dispute this review and those test results. The subwoofer output has a 4 band eq that goes to 31hz. I believe this was in the audioholics review. I don't own one and the manual doesn't show the second page of the manual setup where the subwoofer eq settings are. So the front left/right outputs are a 7 band manual eq that doesn't adjust frequencies near as low as the subwoofer out. The yamaha's are designed to be used as a x.1 or x.2 receiver for sure. Even for stereo music. They don't exactly have the most watts per channel either. They pretty much put out an ultra clean signal though and less hdmi handshake issues than most brands.

Agree with this. My A3000 did indeed eq the subs and did an outstanding job doing it. They have plenty of power and the build quality is second to none. I haven't had the chance to see their pre-pro but I would think that the same build quality, reliability, and sound is there as well. YPAO in it will do everything that Audyssey can do and do it well. More connectivity if needed than other pre-pros. The review below will also tell how accurate YPAO is compared to other methods. It's easy to use and accurate. At Crutchfield this pre-pro sells for less than $2.5k. Can possibly be had for less than that with a phone call.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/ssps/ssps-reviews/yamaha-cx-a5000-11-1-ssp-surround-sound-processor.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Neither of those reviews tested the subwoofer output or manual eq.
I found it in the dedicated Yamaha thread here.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474980/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a1030-rx-a2030-rx-a3030-and-cx-a5000-mx-a5000-thread/180#post_23544117
The bottom of this pic shows the 31hz I was talking about. Subwoofer manual eq.
post #63 of 69 Old 02-28-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for that. I'm tired of reading responses here about how YPAO doesn't eq subs when it does it as well as any other EQ program that comes with AVR's and pre-pros.
post #64 of 69 Old 02-28-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 137
You can choose the audyssey flat curve which does not roll off the high frequencies. That being said, I wouldn't call ARC or XT32 better, just different and pretty much in the same league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emetw View Post

I prefer ARC over XT32. XT32 was attenuating frequencies over 5khz while ARC doesn't touch them. I was losing a lot of top end and couldn't do anything about it.

XT32 in the AVR-X4000 did not sound right. ARC to my ear sounds much more natural. No I did not double blind test them but couldn't ever relax to the Denon's sound. The Anthem on the other hand is a joy to listen to after a long day at work. I would like to hear XT32 on a Marantz unit to see if it was an issue with the Denon vs. Audyssey. But because of the 5khz+ attenuation, my days with XT32 are over smile.gif

I haven't been able to try Dirac yet but hope to with the XMC-1 when it is released.
post #65 of 69 Old 02-28-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Thank you for that. I'm tired of reading responses here about how YPAO doesn't eq subs when it does it as well as any other EQ program that comes with AVR's and pre-pros.

That would be an opinion.  And argument could be made that if it only EQs down to 31hz how can it be just as good, everything else being equal?  I think the majority opinion on these forums and online reviews is that YPAO falls behind ARC and XT32 when it comes to sub EQ

post #66 of 69 Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

That would be an opinion.  And argument could be made that if it only EQs down to 31hz how can it be just as good, everything else being equal?  I think the majority opinion on these forums and online reviews is that YPAO falls behind ARC and XT32 when it comes to sub EQ

Yes you are right it is an opinion, the same as the many on these forums and online reviews that do say that YPAO falls behind ARC,XT32, and any other form of room eq is the better one. Where are the test reports that definitely state that ANY room Eq is the absolute best one to use? All of these Eq programs are just opinions, the user just has to decide which is the best one for their use. And also I am not a Yamaha fanboy, I'm using a H/K 7550HD that I feel has the best room EQ I've ever used. Far better than Audyssey XT and the YPAO in my RX-A3000.
post #67 of 69 Old 03-01-2014, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 201
My Hifi doesn't have EQ. People have millions of years without EQ.

You'll be fine.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #68 of 69 Old 03-01-2014, 02:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

It's important to note that the pic is from the A3030 and that both the 2030 and 3030 can indeed both EQ the sub, rather it is the 1030 and lower models that cannot.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #69 of 69 Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Don't mean to dig up an old thread, but thanks for all the comments on this. I'll be finishing my home theater in the next month or so and am currently debating between many of these same avr's and prepros for my room. Very helpful information!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7008 , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Yamaha Cx A5000bl Aventage 11 2 Channel Av Pre Amplifier , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx710
Gear in this thread - X4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page