Best PrePro??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I currently have an old Rotel 1066, but am having a problem with the LF channel cutting out intermittently. Not sure if it's the Rotel or my in-wall Canare LV 61S interconnects, but because it's intermittent, it's difficult to isolate. My question is, if it's the Rotel, who makes the best PrePro out there now? I don't need or want an AVR, just a PrePro to select between my Oppo 103 and my turntable and adjust gain. It doesn't need to process video or audio, just a straight wire with gain. Also, anybody have suggestions about how to isolate an intermittent problem like mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post

I currently have an old Rotel 1066, but am having a problem with the LF channel cutting out intermittently. Not sure if it's the Rotel or my in-wall Canare LV 61S interconnects, but because it's intermittent, it's difficult to isolate. My question is, if it's the Rotel, who makes the best PrePro out there now? I don't need or want an AVR, just a PrePro to select between my Oppo 103 and my turntable and adjust gain. It doesn't need to process video or audio, just a straight wire with gain. Also, anybody have suggestions about how to isolate an intermittent problem like mine?

Sounds like your power amp is located in another room, this is why the in-wall interconnects?  To trouble shoot,  think of every item in the chain.  Does the problem exist when either the turntable or Oppo are the source?  If so, then sources and cables from sources to pre/pro are not the problem.  From there, you have Pre/pro>cable from pre/pro to wall>in-wall cable>cable from wall to amp>amp>speaker cable>speaker.  Inspect each connection, tighten speaker cables, twist and push all RCA connectors.  I have had very few cable failures (never with any cable as nice as yours), but lots of intermittent connections that were corrected by following this process.  If problem persists, replace or exchange each of these items one at a time. Items that can not be replaced, such as in-wall cable, amp and speaker, can be exchanged LF to RF. After each replacement/exchange,determine if the problem moves or is resolved. 

Hooking Oppo directly to your amp (bypass Rotel pre/pro), using the Oppo volume control to limit its output, would allow you to determine if the pre/pro is the problem.  Adding a Phono preamp that put out a digital signal placed between your turntable and Oppo, would turn your Oppo into a preamp with the basic functions you discussed.  If this does not work for you, I read an interesting review in Sound and Vision of a new pre/pro released by Krell.  This unit is really beyond me price wise, reviewer found the sound magical. 

Best of Luck to you.

post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. My equipment rack is on the left wall, the power amp sits between the front speakers. So, the in wall interconnects go from the rack to a wall plate in the middle of the screen wall, then regular ICs to the power amp from the wall plate. Here are a couple of photos. I need to make and install the raised panel wainscoting and get some carpet in there. It'll be nice when I'm done:

IMG_1604_zps1fa89db0.jpg

IMG_1612_zps0408274d.jpg

Last night the LF channel cut out again while listening to a CD. Disconnecting the IC at the Rotel and plugging it back in a couple of times brought it back. Then I switched the ICs at the Rotel, and after a while, the RF channel cut out. Fiddling with it brought it back again. So, The ICs are good, as well as everything downstream. I had previously replaced the ICs for the front channels going from the Oppo to the Rotel, and the problem persisted, so I think everything upstream is okay, too. I put a call in to Rotel, we'll see how good their CS is. The unit is quite low hours, if it can't be fixed, I'm done with Rotel. The new 1572 sounds problematic.

Update: It seems the RCA plug for the LF channel on the Rotel is the culprit, in that the connection is positional. Sometimes, when playing with the IC, which itself is solid, you can get full volume, partial volume, or no volume. I moved the Analog Out for the LF channel from the Oppo to the CB1 input on the Rotel, and the IC out of the Rotel to the corresponding CB1 Pre Out . Seems to work fine. If it does, I'll leave well enough alone. This all makes sense, as the RCA plugs on the back plate are the only parts that are physically stressed. We'll see how it goes.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Very nice system and room.  I bet a strategically placed drop of solder would fix that plug, not that it would be easy to get to.  Sounds like you have a good work around.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Tom View Post

Very nice system and room.  I bet a strategically placed drop of solder would fix that plug, not that it would be easy to get to.  Sounds like you have a good work around.

I think you're right. I talked to Rotel, they think it's the ground wire for that jack. It's in a cluster of 6 jacks, the part costs less than $2, but they don't have it in stock. He said they could order it from China, but that could take 6 months. Crazy. But at least I don't have to buy a new unit, or wait 4-6 weeks for a local shop to fix it, or ship it back to Rotel in Massachusetts. I may try to fix it, but there doesn't appear to need it now.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

My Rotel is acting up still. I thought I had it figured out, that the LF output jack was faulty. Switching it to a different plug (CB1) seemed to work, until that cut out as well. It's always the LF channel, and when I turned the system on last night, switching back to the LF jack brought it back on line. Ideas? I'm ready to replace this unit with a newer one, but it can't be deeper than 15" and fit into the rack.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You may want to check NAD T187 if it fits your requirements. I've been using mine for more than a year now with no issues.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Rotel Rmb 1066 6 Channel Power Amplifier , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page