Is It Time To Say Goodbye to Yamaha? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. For the past 20+ years I have always had a basic home theater system. All these years I have used Yamaha receivers. Probably 10 different ones over the years. Currently I am running the RXV-2065. When it works, its an awesome receiver that does everything I need. However this is maybe 10% of the time. I have constant problems with the GUI and with Network Functionality. The GUI will not show on screen and the Yamaha app for my iphone or ipad will not find the receiver 90% of the time. So my question is, who has a receiver with at least 2 HDMI outputs with at least dual zone compatibility and has an iphone or ipad app that works ever single time with no issues. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 08:03 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dconder View Post

Hello all. For the past 20+ years I have always had a basic home theater system. All these years I have used Yamaha receivers. Probably 10 different ones over the years. Currently I am running the RXV-2065. When it works, its an awesome receiver that does everything I need. However this is maybe 10% of the time. I have constant problems with the GUI and with Network Functionality. The GUI will not show on screen and the Yamaha app for my iphone or ipad will not find the receiver 90% of the time. So my question is, who has a receiver with at least 2 HDMI outputs with at least dual zone compatibility and has an iphone or ipad app that works ever single time with no issues. Thanks for any input.

Are you using a router somewhere in the signal chain? If so, then they (routers) are almost always the culprits in this sort of situation. Luckily, I was forced to buy a commercial router for what I do with my computer network and it is as stable as a rock unlike the $50 consumer routers most people use. If it isn't a router then I would contact Yamaha to see what they have to say.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Try setting a static IP for the Yamaha.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

FMW....Yes I use an Apple Airport Extreme router

fatbottom....I have tried that with no luck
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 08:20 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FMW....Yes I use an Apple Airport Extreme router

fatbottom....I have tried that with no luck

You need to borrow a router from someone to see if that fixes the issue. No guarantees but it usually does. It may be possible that there is configuration issue with the router as well. Sometimes these things can be cleared up as easily as using a setup screen. I don't know if you are wireless between the router and the receiver but if so, hard wiring it may fix the problem. then, of course there is my favorite solution which is to implement a Logitech Harmony remote control. If nothing else, the battery will last longer between charges than your smart phone battery.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

You need to borrow a router from someone to see if that fixes the issue. No guarantees but it usually does. It may be possible that there is configuration issue with the router as well. Sometimes these things can be cleared up as easily as using a setup screen. I don't know if you are wireless between the router and the receiver but if so, hard wiring it may fix the problem. then, of course there is my favorite solution which is to implement a Logitech Harmony remote control. If nothing else, the battery will last longer between charges than your smart phone battery.

I will do some router trial and error and see if that changes anything. Problem is this isn't the first time I've battled it. I had it working and out of the blue it will just quit working. My router is hard wired to the receiver and I do have a Harmony remote and love it. My need with the app is being able to sit out on my back patio and turn on Zone 2 and control the volume to the outdoor speakers. I have a television out back and when the app is working properly I can change channels and adjust volumes all from my iPad. When its working that is.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 10:26 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will do some router trial and error and see if that changes anything. Problem is this isn't the first time I've battled it. I had it working and out of the blue it will just quit working. My router is hard wired to the receiver and I do have a Harmony remote and love it. My need with the app is being able to sit out on my back patio and turn on Zone 2 and control the volume to the outdoor speakers. I have a television out back and when the app is working properly I can change channels and adjust volumes all from my iPad. When its working that is.

Then it sounds like a communication problem between the phone and the router. Perhaps there is too much distance and/or material between the units. That would explain the intermittent nature of the problem. Easy test. See if it is 100% in the same room as the router.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page