SR7005, SR7007 only loud when Dynamic Volume engaged - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've read many posts from users of these two receivers complaining that they really need to crank the volume to match their previous receiver. The standard answer is to explain the "logarithmic scale" of the volume indicator, and to run Audyssey.

Coming from a Marantz SR9300 (and 7300, 6200 before it), I'm familiar with the Marantz volume control. Each of the older receivers had similar loudness levels (approximately) for a given volume setting:

Background music: -45
Normal TV: -35
Movies: -25 to -15

With the SR7005, I need to increase the volume by about 10 db for each, e.g. normal TV requires -25, movies -15 to -5

Running Audyssey restores the levels to "normal" to match those of my SR9300.

However, if I turn Dynamic Volume OFF (while keeping Audyssy ON), or listen to music in Pure Direct (or Source Direct, in the old terminology), the loudness is reduced again. This happens in ALL surround modes, including Stereo.

For music, the volume reduction is not a case of going from 5 to 2 speakers, as I am a frequent music listener in 2-channel, and am quite familiar with the switch. The volume reduction also happens when going from Stereo to Direct - a big reduction, in fact. I realize the sub is not involved in 2-ch. Direct - the volume reduction happens with mids & treble as well.

There is no doubt the SR7005 has decent power. With Dynamic Volume engaged, it feels just as powerful as my old SR9300. However, when you take off Dynamic Volume it feels like a lightweight.

I'd invite other Marantz users to test this by turning Dynamic Volume OFF.

Firmware on the 7005 is the latest. I did a system reset before testing.

Is it possible that Dynamic Volume requires some sort of buffer or sound level increase to operate properly, and that Marantz designed the receivers to use Dynamic Volume all the time? Is this a designed-in "feature," or is something else going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 AM

Liked: 16

I had the marantz sr-7005 (now I have a cambridge audio 751r)

to be honest I never understood how dynamic volume worked in my sr-7005, all what i remember is that i always turn it off with dynamic eualizer off too when I watched a movie or a concert on my projector (generally I choosed -18 db) I had a feeling that when i change the source I had each time to increase the volume (it is as if the volume is adapting always by increasing the DBs and rarely by decreasing the Decibals needed) I start at 35 db for youtube and finifsh at 26 db but for movies I turn it off and choose 18 db

dynamic volume in my experience helps a little bit averaging volumes (you manipulate less the volume) but you still need to manipulate the volume from time to time (less frequently though VS not enabling it) so its not a 100% solution....hopefully the technology can get more intelligent in the future....       

by the way with my new CA 751r I rarely get past -20 db its a lot more pwoerful than the marantz, especially the surrounds and the subwoofer. and the musicality is a lot better too.

post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight. I am leaving Dynamic Volume ON, on the "Light" setting. This seems to smooth things out source to source, but on those occasions I want to listen to music without the sub, switching to Source Direct is the easiest, and I get a HUGE volume drop. It's a bit annoying, but livable.

It's strange, you'd think it would be roughly equal.

One more thing I didn't include with my first post, after running Audyssey all channels, including the Sub, are within 6db of each other.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 06:06 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
When you run Audyssey, the speakers and sub are calibrated such that 0db is "movie" reference volume. When you engage Dynamic Volume it will normalize the volume by raising the lower level dialogue and compressing the loud explosions such that the overall volume will indeed be louder with a lower master volume level.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that explanation. I'm still getting my head around this.

What still puzzles me is that with Audyssey off (or in Source Direct, or if you run the unit brand-new out of the box without adjustment) the levels should be nearly identical to an "old fashioned" receiver. In this situation the volume is so low compared to the older 7300 and 9300.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-01-2014, 05:05 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Not sure your "old fashioned" AVRs actually used a logarithmic volume scale, however, bottom line is it really doesn't matter as long as the AVR is able to provide the master volume you prefer without shutting down or clipping the speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 7 Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Linear, logarithmic, and antilogarithmic tapers are common for potentiometers (variable resistors, pots, volume controls). I have also seen audio tapers that are modified logarithmic tapers with a slower start then steeper rise to help better match the way we hear. I have both conventional log and audio tapers in a box someplace. Volume controls use audio or log. In any event jdsmoothie is right, it doesn't really matter so long as you have the control and volume you want.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread