Marantz 7008 or 8077 + 7701 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am upgrading my L/R/C to Def Tech 8040s and want a new amp to power them. Currently I have a h/k 3550hd which is a little underpowered and lacking HDMI 1.4. Would you advise me to get the Marantz 7008 or go the used separates route with the Marantz 8077 and 7701 combo? I found a used separates combo that is only a few hundred more than the 7008 new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-04-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
The 7008 includes the best version of Audyssey room equalization (XT32) while the 7701 has only XT. As a result, the sound quality of the 7008 usually is noticeably better. The 7008 also includes support for sending stereo PCM to the Zone 2 analog outputs, which the 7701 doesn't.

Be sure to call an authorized Marantz dealer to get a quote. It'll be significantly lower than MSRP, which is all they're allowed to advertise publicly.
bkinder83 likes this.

Selden
post #3 of 8 Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm assuming since you didn't mention the 8801 that it's out of your price range, like it is mine. The 7008 could still be used as a prepro if you wanted/needed more power than what's inside. Though you can save more by buying an amp from Emotiva, Outlaw or others.

Whatever you do, don't bother with calling Best Buy/Magnolia on the Marantz. I had a nice long conversation at one about a week ago, pricing a Yamaha 2030/3030 and a Marantz 7008. Apparently they aren't authorized to sell below SRP or MAP, unless it's an open box or clearance special that management/corporate marks down. AVS gave me a good price on the Marantz and Yamaha, when I called, as they always do, but I make a point to price check with other vendors regardless, just for piece of mind. They were lower than the lowest on the Yamaha, and only about $10 higher than the lowest I found on the Marantz. I only called authorized dealers I'm familiar with from past dealings though, not ebay venders claiming such. Warranty is too important to me to risk in this price range.
bkinder83 likes this.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #4 of 8 Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For what it's worth, I bought the 7008 last night and was able to get a 10% discount at Best Buy. All I had to do was ask.
bkinder83 likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan64 View Post

For what it's worth, I bought the 7008 last night and was able to get a 10% discount at Best Buy. All I had to do was ask.

Believe me, they knew they weren't going to get the sell at full SRP, but my Magnolia still insisted the best they could do is pricematch a competitor, as long as it was an authorized dealer. They then presumed to show me how amazon, crutchfield and a few other places were advertising it for the same, like that mattered - as if any authorized dealer is going to break their dealer agreement, unless it's being marked down by the manufacturer. I don't know if they were really that obtuse or they just thought I was an easy mark. But like I said, Magnolia wouldn't budge on either a special order of the 7008, or on a 2030 that they had on hand. Which was fine, I didn't expect a good deal from them anyway, I was really just humoring them while talking shop. Only 10% off SRP wouldn't have got my money. I could do better than that almost anywhere other than amazon, a lot better from some places. But considering I was still undecided on which model to go with, if their price was at least reasonable I would have paid a bit more than I could have gotten it for elsewhere and walked out the door with a 2030, just for the returns convenience on the off chance I wasn't as thrilled with it's performance as I expected.
bkinder83 likes this.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #6 of 8 Old 03-04-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think my bank account will appreciate me going with the 7008 right now anyway. One quick question though, is there a noticeable difference in using the unbalanced pre-outs of the 7008 rather than the balanced pre-outs the 7701 offers?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-04-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkinder83 View Post

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think my bank account will appreciate me going with the 7008 right now anyway. One quick question though, is there a noticeable difference in using the unbalanced pre-outs of the 7008 rather than the balanced pre-outs the 7701 offers?

Most likely not. I've even been told by amp manufacturers not to use XLR in the past, unless having problems with RCA. From my understanding longer runs benefit from balanced outputs the most. If your amp is sitting on the shelf just below the amp, there's little to no need. Just be sure to use some decently shielded RCA cables; digital coax works well. But unless you know you need more power or already have an amp, I'd try the AVR by itself first, unless you just want the peace of mind and can get a better deal buying both at the same time.
bkinder83 likes this.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #8 of 8 Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Although they don't provide any audio improvements in most home environments, XLRs do have the advantage that their connectors latch on securely. They also don't have to be particularly expensive.

The manufacturing tolerances of RCA connectors vary a lot. I've had some that were extremely tight and had no flex in their outer shells, so that they could have damaged the eqipments' back panel connectors when trying to get them on and off.
Bryan64 likes this.

Selden
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Av7701 Audio Video Preamp Processor , Marantz Mm8077 Power Amplifier , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page