AVS Forum banner
74K views 224 replies 90 participants last post by  DoDaLeCa 
#1 ·
Is there a master

List of the upcoming 2.0 amps? I am in the market (need to uograde my non hdmi sony from 20

Years ago with DTS optical
but wanted a 2.0 for when / if I go 4k (once nvidia has a single card solution for 4k 60hz)

Most OnkYo and Yamaha etc still seems like 1.4!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't heard anything about 2014 receivers. Normally by now we would have some press releases for the lower end models, but not this year. I wonder if the new receivers will be delayed because of not having enough time to get 2.0 ports working. Or the manufacturers could all be hurting financially and don't have the money to invest in new models.

#3 ·
The new models usually come out in April or late March.

I was recently shopping for a new Sony 60" TV and the stores were mostly out of the model I wanted; ended up ordering it from Amazon.

On the other hand, there may be some good deals on the remaining current models.

The new Sony STR-DA2800ES is 4K and it has 10 HDMI inputs and 3 HDMI outputs. Amazon is selling it for around $1000.

That might be what you want.

4K content may be a long time coming, although Sony is committed to it. They have a couple of TVs out and a (very expensive) media player for it.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24441469

Is there a master

List of the upcoming 2.0 amps? I am in the market (need to uograde my non hdmi sony from 20 Years ago with DTS optical
but wanted a 2.0 for when / if I go 4k (once nvidia has a single card solution for 4k 60hz) Most OnkYo and Yamaha etc still seems like 1.4!!!
2014 Yamaha low-priced AVR already listed on the Yamaha USA website:
New Product Bulletins for some other 2014 Yamaha low|mid-priced AVRs seen on the net:

_

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24442278

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24441469

Is there a master

List of the upcoming 2.0 amps? I am in the market (need to uograde my non hdmi sony from 20 Years ago with DTS optical
but wanted a 2.0 for when / if I go 4k (once nvidia has a single card solution for 4k 60hz) Most OnkYo and Yamaha etc still seems like 1.4!!!
New Product Bulletins for some other 2014 Yamaha low|mid-priced AVRs seen on the net:

_

One of the ironies is that the low end AVR has been migrated from the chip-based power amplifiers in the RX-V371 and RX-V373 to an all discrete design in the RX-V377

The Sanken chip amp based RX-V371 measures like this:

While the RXV-475 with the discrete part amps that Yamaha uses further up the line measures like this:

I wouldn't expect an audible difference but even the measurable difference looks moot. However "Discrete Amp Configuration for High Sound Quality" sounds so cool and convincing in the sales blurb.

#6 ·
I have been researching this today and can't find much. My understanding is that you need to have the new HDMI 2.0 chips to process the HDMI 2.0 signal. Many receivers already list 4k pass through. It seems like that should be enough pass the uncompressed video signal to your display, provided your source and display are HDMI 2.0 capable. But what about audio? Are the new chips going to be required to process audio or is the format backward compatible?

From what I read, all HDMI 2.0 capable devices are not created equal. Some of them will only have 10.2Gbps of bandwidth and won't be compatible with 4k 60Hz. Manufacturers are supposed to detail as much in their specification. To complicate matters further, the new HDBaseT 2.0 standard has the same issue. Here is a quick article about it. It looks like active cables are the only way to go for now.

I am looking at JVC 4k projectors that say they have 4k 60 Hz capable HDMI inputs, but make no mention of HDMI 2.0. Will they be compatible when HDMI 2.0 sources arrive? HDMI 1.4 is only good to 30Hz, so what sources are they getting 60Hz over HDMI?

This 4K transition is really confusing. I am doing a media room and have the plans ready to go, but waiting on electronics. So I am going to go through all this research and expense to get the first HDMI 2.0 products available that are bound to have issues and then have about five Sony produced movies and hopefully some TV content to watch in UHD the next couple years. At the same time I with the money I am spending, I don't want to need an upgrade in two years. Tough call.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulminis  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24443666

I have been researching this today and can't find much. My understanding is that you need to have the new HDMI 2.0 chips to process the HDMI 2.0 signal. Many receivers already list 4k pass through. It seems like that should be enough pass the uncompressed video signal to your display, provided your source and display are HDMI 2.0 capable. But what about audio? Are the new chips going to be required to process audio or is the format backward compatible?

From what I read, all HDMI 2.0 capable devices are not created equal. Some of them will only have 10.2Gbps of bandwidth and won't be compatible with 4k 60Hz. Manufacturers are supposed to detail as much in their specification. To complicate matters further, the new HDBaseT 2.0 standard has the same issue. Here is a quick article about it. It looks like active cables are the only way to go for now.

I am looking at JVC 4k projectors that say they have 4k 60 Hz capable HDMI inputs, but make no mention of HDMI 2.0. Will they be compatible when HDMI 2.0 sources arrive? HDMI 1.4 is only good to 30Hz, so what sources are they getting 60Hz over HDMI?

This 4K transition is really confusing. I am doing a media room and have the plans ready to go, but waiting on electronics. So I am going to go through all this research and expense to get the first HDMI 2.0 products available that are bound to have issues and then have about five Sony produced movies and hopefully some TV content to watch in UHD the next couple years. At the same time I with the money I am spending, I don't want to need an upgrade in two years. Tough call.

The current JVC projectors are not real 4K projectors - just so you know. They just take two 1080p frames putting them together - kind of like an upscale. Sony is the only FP manufacturer of true 4K, but not sure of the HDMI limitations it may have either.

The bottom line is, no one at this time knows how any of this is going to play out especially with HDCP.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24444892

We are still about a week away from announcing our new line-up, however I can say that not all HDMI 2.0 receivers will be the same.. There will be differences in throughput and color capabilities.

Chris Walker

Pioneer Electronics

Chris, good to know that something will be announced soon. It gives me some confidence that something will be available by the time I finish construction. It makes sense that the lesser models would have a bandwidth restriction. Do you know if the higher end models will be able to independently auto calibrate dual subwoofers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24445332

The current JVC projectors are not real 4K projectors - just so you know. They just take two 1080p frames putting them together - kind of like an upscale. Sony is the only FP manufacturer of true 4K, but not sure of the HDMI limitations it may have either.

The bottom line is, no one at this time knows how any of this is going to play out especially with HDCP.

So the JVC's are 1080p native and 'wobble' the image at 120Hz to create 3840x2160 at 60Hz. I didn't realize that. I wonder if DLP will be able to use the same approach? 3D resolution is limited to 1080p since it requires 120Hz. Still, it is better than not having 4k ability at all and the Sony's look like they are well above my budget. It seems like a bandaid that will get me four years instead of two before upgrading.

And thanks for bringing up HDCP 2.2 that is included in the HDMI 2.0 standard. I think that answers the question about the JVC's and other products that have 4k HDMI inputs and their compatibility with HDMI 2.0. It won't work since they won't have the ability to handshake with the new copy protection. Awesome.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24446921

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24442278

Unless I'm missing something. I don't see any mention of HDMI 2.0 ports.

From the HDMI.org FAQs (link) :
Quote:
Q. What are the HDMI-related questions consumers should ask when shopping for a new CE or PC device?

Several questions are key to evaluating HDMI on a CE component.

Think features rather than HDMI version number.

HDMI is constantly evolving to meet the needs of the marketplace. The standard is constantly adding more and more features that manufacturers can implement if they desire. But HDMI does not require manufacturers to implement everything that HDMI can do. HDMI provides a menu of capabilities and allows the manufacturer to choose which of those features make sense for its product line.

As a result, HDMI strongly recommends that consumers look for products with the features they want, rather than the version number of the HDMI components. Version numbers reflect capabilities, but do not correspond to product features. For example, if you want the new video features called Deep Color, look for Deep Color in the feature set rather than HDMI 1.3, the version of the specification that enabled Deep Color. Why? Because the version of the specification that enables Deep Color (1.3) does not mandate that Deep Color functionality be implemented.

I had thought CEMs and stores were not even allowed to describe an AVR as "HDMI 2.0 compliant" . . . ?!

_

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulminis  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24446425

Chris, good to know that something will be announced soon. It gives me some confidence that something will be available by the time I finish construction. It makes sense that the lesser models would have a bandwidth restriction. Do you know if the higher end models will be able to independently auto calibrate dual subwoofers?

So the JVC's are 1080p native and 'wobble' the image at 120Hz to create 3840x2160 at 60Hz. I didn't realize that. I wonder if DLP will be able to use the same approach? 3D resolution is limited to 1080p since it requires 120Hz. Still, it is better than not having 4k ability at all and the Sony's look like they are well above my budget. It seems like a bandaid that will get me four years instead of two before upgrading.

And thanks for bringing up HDCP 2.2 that is included in the HDMI 2.0 standard. I think that answers the question about the JVC's and other products that have 4k HDMI inputs and their compatibility with HDMI 2.0. It won't work since they won't have the ability to handshake with the new copy protection. Awesome.

JVC uses something called eshift to accomplish that. Some people don't care for it as it does create artifacts and they just use 1080p although eshift does give a tighter pixel structure which can benefit those who sit very close to the screen. I have the JVC RS4810, but haven't got my room set-up yet to experiment with the feature. JVC will likely announce a 'real' 4K projector at Cedia.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24447058

Quote:
Q. What are the HDMI-related questions consumers should ask when shopping for a new CE or PC device?

Several questions are key to evaluating HDMI on a CE component.

Think features rather than HDMI version number.

HDMI is constantly evolving to meet the needs of the marketplace. The standard is constantly adding more and more features that manufacturers can implement if they desire. But HDMI does not require manufacturers to implement everything that HDMI can do. HDMI provides a menu of capabilities and allows the manufacturer to choose which of those features make sense for its product line.

As a result, HDMI strongly recommends that consumers look for products with the features they want, rather than the version number of the HDMI components. Version numbers reflect capabilities, but do not correspond to product features. For example, if you want the new video features called Deep Color, look for Deep Color in the feature set rather than HDMI 1.3, the version of the specification that enabled Deep Color. Why? Because the version of the specification that enables Deep Color (1.3) does not mandate that Deep Color functionality be implemented.

I had thought CEMs and stores were not even allowed to describe an AVR as "HDMI 2.0 compliant" . . . ?!

That won't be confusing to consumers.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulminis  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24446425

Unfortunately I cannot comment on higher end models at this point, however I can say that after years of pushing Japan for some much needed features they have agreed for this years upcoming line-up.....

You will see some of it next week.

Thanks,

Chris Walker

Pioneer Electronics

#24 ·
As many have stated, all 2013 receivers do HDMI 1.4, which only produces enough bandwidth to support 30 FPS, in 4K UHD. In order to get the 60 FPS, for gaming, sports, or if you want 3D in a higher resolution, then you need HDMI 2.0 or Display port 1.3. Current receivers will NOT pass through these higher bandwidths, because the current HDMI hardware will not support it.

To better understand the differences, please see the link below
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-2-0-explained/#!y3usK

As someone mentioned, BD players will start coming out with two HDMI ports, as they did when HDMI 1.4 was released. One port will be HDMI 1.4, and the other will be HDMI 2.0, so all HDMI 1.4/1.3 compliant receivers can play the audio portion and the TV can support the video portion.

This doesn't help if you want to use your receiver as your central hub, for all AV, or if plan to use your AVR to upconvert your low resolution video to something higher. Also, for those who use CEC, the HDMI 2.0 compliance requires all devices to support this standard. Now if you turn on your BD player, it will turn all other HDMI 2.0 supported devices.

If you review the included link, you will also notice that the amount of audio channels also increased. Unless you have a high end audio room, most consumers will never utilize this, nor will most standard AVR manufacturers put enough processing power to support much beyond 11.2.

I am also in the market for a new AVR, and want to buy a new AVR, but know it is best to wait.

Next, consider that no announced TV or projector currently has HDMI 2.0 support, so if you are crazy enough to spend $9K for one of those cool curved TVs, you are going to kick yourself later. This is not the case if Samsung follows through on the rumored plan to release a new board that upgrades their newest 4K UHD sets to accommodate and support the new HDMI 2.0 standard.

I am glad to hear there are a few vendors announcing new receivers, but the sad truth is most large AVR vendors announce their lower end first (End of March/Beginning of April), and then announce their higher end towards October/November.

Bottom line, current receivers are over priced, especially since the industry is going to dramatically change, so it can support true 4K UHD. If you want to future proof your purchase, for at least five years, then you need to wait for receivers that have HDMI 2.0.

If you are one who only cares about the acoustic qualities, or If you change your AVR every 3 years, then you are going to have some great deals come to the markets as early as next month.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyApuzzo  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24452757

The Yamaha rx-v477 link above isn't working either anymore, guess it was a 'leak' and fullcompass took down the PDFs.

IIRC, when I looked at the 477 datasheet, I didn't notice anything different from the 475. No mention of HDMI-2.0 support on the 377 page either.

They all stretch the truth currently 4k@24/30 maximum

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-D0gyaLL1bHc/p_022RXV377/Yamaha-RX-V377.html

After some digging I found some coming slightly upper echelon yammies do have 4k 60 capability if the translation is correct

Quote:
I now have a NPB (New Product Bulletin) for the 477, 577 and 677 have been found. New to the 477/577 compared to the 475/575 is: - gapless playback! - HTC Connect for wireless music playback from HTC smartphones - Virtual Cinema Front - 6 instead of 5 HDMI inputs - Elimination audio-only input - Elimination Video input on the front - AV4 instead of digital input with analog input for the sound - Elimination MHL - New "Extra Bass" The 577 also offers in addition to the changes in the 477: - built-in WiFi - Bookmark function for Internet Radio Now in the 677 over the 675 is: - built-in WiFi - 4k with 50p/60p - Gapless playback - HTC Connect - Virtual Cinema Front - New "Extra Bass" I assume that will assume the also gets the RX-V777, the new features of the 677.
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-276-4683.html

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt  /t/1521079/2014-hdmi-2-0-receiver-list#post_24459028

After some digging I found some coming slightly upper echelon yammies do have 4k 60 capability if the translation is correct

That is indeed a correct translation from German, but I reformatted it for easier reading:

New to the RX-V477/RX-V577 compared to the 475/575:

- gapless playback!

- HTC Connect for wireless music playback from HTC smartphones

- Virtual Cinema Front

- 6 instead of 5 HDMI inputs

- Elimination audio-only input

- Elimination of front video input

- AV4 instead of digital input with analog input for sound

- Elimination of MHL

- New "Extra Bass"

In addition, the RX-V577 also offers these features compared to the RX-V477:

- built-in WiFi

- Bookmark function for Internet Radio

The RX-V677 offers these features over the 675:

- built-in WiFi

- 4k with 50p/60p

- Gapless playback

- HTC Connect

- Virtual Cinema Front

- New "Extra Bass"

You can assume that the RX-V777 will also get all new features of the 677.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.