new to home theater and interested in learning all I can - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys! I just recently started building my home theater system. I came from car audio but learning fast it is a completely different monster with alot that goes into it to get the results u want. My home theater so far consists of a samsung un55es7100 upgraded receiver from a denon avr 1613 to a denon avr-x3000 my speakers for the towers are klipsch icons kf-28s center is kc-25 all four surrounds are ks-14 and my sub is an sw-450. Im trying to more understand the difference in crossovers like whats the difference between 40 and 250 and full band and how it changes the speakers. Also the large and small setting from what I understand small takes the bass out of the speaker. Before audyssey set my center at large now this time it set it at small? What would be better large or small? What would be the most optimal crossover settings. Also what is the difference between audyssey and audyssey bypass? is there a tuning cd or blu ray I can buy to test my system or a book anybody knows of that gets more in depth of what a majority of receiver settings do and the difference in the hz in crossovers and the frequency so maybe someday I can adjust my own reciever rather then audyssey doing it for me. I know this post is asking alot I just have alot of questions and alot of learning and don't know where to start.. also on the video side where would be a good place to start to learn on the more in depth settings on my tv so I can get the most out of the picture when I calibrate it?

Thanks for any help sorry for the rookie post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If you set the crossover to 80hz, any content below that will be redirected to the sub. Also, the crossover is not a brick wall, the speaker will gradually roll off below 80hz.

Full band will send the entire signal to the speaker. If there is 20hz content in a movie the speaker will play that back which would not be a good idea. Not many speakers can play that low with enough SPL to sound decent.

You are right about the large and small setting. Its recommended to set the speakers to small. Let the sub handle the low frequencies. That's what its designed for.

After running audyssey you can raise the crossover but never lower it. Most recommend 80hz.

I think audyssey bypass will disable audyssey for the left and right channel. Check the manual to confirm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Audessey set my fronts at 40 hz the center at 60 and surrouns at 90 and surround backs at 110. Klipsch told me set towers at 60 and the rest of the channels at 100 n sub either at 100 or 120. Currently I have sub knob turned to.bypass on the back are receiver set to 100 hz on lfe+main for subwoofer mode. So if my fronts are set at 40 does that mean it will only play 40hz and above or only play 40hz and below? And subwoofer at 100hz so is that 100hz and above or below? And why would I set my sub at a higher frequency then my towers?
post #4 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

If the fronts are set to 40hz then they will play 40hz and above. Set your speakers to small. Subwoofer should be set to LFE, not LFE + main. LFE + main will send the entire freq to your fronts and redirect bass below the crossover, double bass. If audyssey set the crossover below 80hz then raise it to 80hz. If audyssey set the crossover above 80hz (surr back 110hz) then leave it alone. Lowering the crossover to what audyssey has set can leave a hole in the freq response. Raising it is OK.

LFE should be set to 120hz. This is totally separate from the crossover setting.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
post #6 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

So you guys think it will be better to set my towers which auddyssey set to large to set them to small. They have 2 8 in woofers and a 1 in horn in them. Wouldnt that cause me to loose a little umpth out of thr towers? Also why would it be better to be set at 80 hz compared to 40 hz will it pick up more range of frequency? And does any body know is there a good calibration blu ray I can buy that helps u best calibrate your tv picture and sound ect?
post #7 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Your subwoofer has more unmph than your towers, thats why its best to set them to small and let the subwoofer handle those frequencies. Setting the fronts to 80hz will put less strain on your speakers. In the end, it is your system so you can set it how you like, what ever sounds best to you.

This will help with the picture.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

post #8 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Liked: 11
Come on CD!
After all (Mrk) said, he knows better and you have a very decent HT. You're over entry level.
Listen to his advices and enjoy your HT.
This is a strange, foggy and most of all, an addicted world.
The more you know the bigger the doubts about it.
Stay in the surface and spend time with your family, believe me.
As I said, listen to Mrk and pick some blues albums.
My regards and all the best
JB
cdubbin90 likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Im trying to run with the big dogs lol but im still stuck on the porch. I've learned alot already just uunderstanding the in depths is what is getting me. Im still confused on the different crossover settings and the different ranges and how they will make the speaker react. So for example if I set ay 250 and set towers to small will that mean it will pick up all frequency? To me i think "the higher the number the hz the better response" like the cross over on a class d car audio amp the higher the filter the more frequency it will let through rather then just bass... I know im asking noob questions but im just confused and I haven't been able to find anything that explains about the hz and the differences in the higher vs the lower ones in detail
post #10 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Did you take a look at the FAQ in that Audyssey thread?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #11 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Once the subwoofer starts to go above 80hz, it will be more localized. You'll be able to hear where the sub is located. Under 80hz its a lot more difficult.

If you set the crossover to 250hz, all the audio below that will be sent to the sub. Like I said above, the sub will be more localized which is not a good thing.

post #12 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 04:45 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
To learn more about your new X3000, review posts #3-6 in the Denon Owner's thread linked below ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq#post_23134210

Also note that the AVR sets the LARGE/SMALL, crossover, distance, speaker volume level not Audyssey. Adjusting the LARGE ---> SMALL setting has no impact on the Audyssey EQ. Also note that there is 8x higher processing done with the suboofer than is done on the speakers which is another reason why raising the FL/FR crossovers up to 80Hz and letting the subwoofer handle more of the load will generally provide for better audio quality.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Samsung Un55es7100 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv Black , Klipsch Sw 450 10 Inch 450watt Subwoofer Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page