Denon avr 4520 oppure Onkyo nr 5010? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-09-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

hi, I posted my problem days ago amplifier yamaha dsp ax-1 (the remote is dead) I want to do with this excuse of changes.Onkyo No. 5010 or Denon avr 4520. well as the speakers I (B & W DM 602 front & rear, central B & W cc6 front and rear and sub yamaha yst 320, maybe leave only the rear B & W for a system 7.1, the'd use as surroun back) for the speakers would orientated on the Monitor Audio Silver Rx6 and bx5/focal chorus 714V and 716v/kef Q900 and c5, what do you think? Sorry for my English school

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-09-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
It sounds like you are looking at some very good speakers.

The Focal Chorus speakers are excellent, and so are the Monitor Audio speakers. KEF is also very good.

If you are going to spend the money for some high-quality speakers like those, you really should get a better receiver than anything Onkyo or Denon makes.

The receivers from NAD and Cambridge Audio will sound much better driving those high-quality speakers. Less distortion and better sound quality.

You need to remember that power specs are derived from a lab test with a RESISTOR load. ALL amplifiers have very low distortion connected to a resistor. Published power specs are essentially meaningless; it is a waste of time to even look at them. Power ratings DO NOT have any correlation to sound quality!

When they actually have to drive REAL SPEAKERS, the distortion goes way way up. But NAD and Cambridge make much better amplifiers and power supplies and have lower distortion.

Only 50 or 60 watts is really required to drive speakers adequately, but it must be LOW_DISTORTION power, which you don't get from Denon or Yamaha or Onkyo or Pioneer!

Go with a NAD or Cambridge Audio receiver and you will get much better sound quality.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-09-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Judging by the items listed, it would appear the OP is looking primarily AC4L. B&W aside. In which case, I would most likely purchase the Onkyo. I say this as a AVR-4520CI owner. I would go with the Onkyo due to being able to extend the manufacturers warranty to 3 years on Shoponkyo for a very reasonable sum whereas with the Denon it is hundreds of dollars. The Focals are decidedly the speakers I would use. While I am quite fond of B&W, not at the 600 Series level.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr5010 9 2 Channel Thx Certified Network A V Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Kef Q900wa Floor Standing Speaker
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page