AVR Advice / Comparison - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Looking for some feedback on a few AVRs I'm comparing.  I'd be up for paying for more features if they are worth it but I'd like to keep cost down.  I'd like to keep it below 600.  I'm looking for refurbished and used as well as new. The models listed below I found for below $600. 

I'll be running a home theater pc into the AVR.  I also have network attached storage where I keep all my music.  I'd like to avoid using an external amp at this point in time so a well powered amp is necessary.  I'll be using Emptek E55ti floor standers and Emptek's big center. Adding a sub down the road when more funds become available.  

A powered zone 2 would be nice but not a deal breaker.

What features should I be on the look out for in regards to getting the best sound quality?

Models I'm considering:

Denon AVR E-400

Sony STR DN 1040

Onkyo TX NR 626

Pioneer SC 1223 - K 

Denon x2000
Emptek E55Ti
Mac Mini 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Of the 4, the Denon will be the only one that can EQ the subwoofer when you add it.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 80
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HTR-7065-channel-receiver/dp/B00AZE78KQ

Not the most powerful receiver, but does have full preamp out. Full featured including manual eq down to 31hz on all main channels and digital audio in zone 2 with party mode. No subwoofer eq, but not a big deal. The sony has way more power, but bug ridden. Denon is a little picky about hdmi handshake. Pioneer doesn't allow hdmi viewing with airplay music. Onkyo hdmi board is hot and unreliable. Yamaha remote has 17 discrete input buttons and way below list price.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'll check them out.  

Denon x2000
Emptek E55Ti
Mac Mini 2007
post #5 of 7 Old 03-15-2014, 03:31 PM

Liked: 10
I recently bought a Denon E400 last week and it didn't work well with my TV (handshake issue), so I returned it within a day and did more research. I ended up with a Yamaha V675 and couldn't be happier. I think it has all the features you are looking for as well so I would recommend you look into that.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by revans5 View Post

Looking for some feedback on a few AVRs I'm comparing.  I'd be up for paying for more features if they are worth it but I'd like to keep cost down.  I'd like to keep it below 600.  I'm looking for refurbished and used as well as new. The models listed below I found for below $600. 

I'll be running a home theater pc into the AVR.  I also have network attached storage where I keep all my music.  I'd like to avoid using an external amp at this point in time so a well powered amp is necessary.  I'll be using Emptek E55ti floor standers and Emptek's big center. Adding a sub down the road when more funds become available.  

A powered zone 2 would be nice but not a deal breaker.

What features should I be on the look out for in regards to getting the best sound quality?

Models I'm considering:

Denon AVR E-400

Sony STR DN 1040

Onkyo TX NR 626

Pioneer SC 1223 - K 

I've always been partial to Pioneer, and especially like their D3 amps (which the SC-1223 has). Check out the official owners thread for the sc-1223 and you'll find it has a large following and is considered by many to be a best buy at its price point. it's essentially the same as the Pioneer Elite sc-71. Where did you find it for $600 or less?

Panasonic - TC-P55ST50 Plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K (ordered on 5/19/14)
Pioneer Elite VSX-72 TXV
Definative Technology - Mythos One (2 front)
Definative Technology - Mythos Three (1 center)
Definative Technology - Mythos Five (2 rear)
Definative Technology - SuperCube III (1)
Panasonic Blu-ray...
post #7 of 7 Old 03-15-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbweaver View Post

I've always been partial to Pioneer, and especially like their D3 amps (which the SC-1223 has). Check out the official owners thread for the sc-1223 and you'll find it has a large following and is considered by many to be a best buy at its price point. it's essentially the same as the Pioneer Elite sc-71. Where did you find it for $600 or less?

I found it on accessories for less? In a nutshell why do u like it more than the x2000?

Denon x2000
Emptek E55Ti
Mac Mini 2007
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr E400 , Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Pioneer Sc 1223 K 7 2 Channel Network Ready Receiver , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers
Gear in this thread - E400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page