New member in need of help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-11-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good day fellow audiophiles. I'm having some issues with the sound output of my system. My amp is a sweet Denon AVR 5805 paired with Klipsch KG 4 as mains. HT sounds awesome and I couldn't be happier, but music playback at higher volumes is the problem. The horn tweeters are a bit harsh. I thought it was possibly the speakers, so I switched to some slightly newer KG 4.2 and the problem persists. Low to moderate volume is fine, but high volume is not. I'm not hearing distortion, but just very shrill and harsh highs. Is this a result of the amp or the speakers? Should I consider changing one or both? I really like the look of the Klipsch and the Denon has amazing surround processing. I'm just frustrated at this point...

Zone 1: Great Room
Panasonic VT60 Plasma
Denon 5805 AVR
Denon 3800 Blu Ray Player
Vintage Klipsch speaker system, all finished in Walnut Oil:
KG 4 Fronts w/ Bob Crites upgrades
KV 3 Center
KG 2 Surrounds
SVS PB 2000 subwoofer

Zone 2: Dining Room/Kitchen
Klipsch KG 2.2

Zone 3: Porch
Custom...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Those are both nice pairs of speakers. By design Klipsch are very dynamic and to some people can be harsh because they have a horn loaded tweeter. This makes them very good for movies but for music it can be a challenge at higher volumes. I also have horn loaded tweeters in all of my speakers from Cerwin Vega. The first things I would look at are the room. If you have hard floors that will make the harsh highs worse. If so put a large rug on the floor. Also make sure that your calibration is correct. I have found that if your midbass and upper midbass are not keeping up it will make your tweeters seem more harsh. I have solved all of my horn loaded tweeter problems and everything sounds great. Also make sure your subwoofer is adequate for the room and that you don't have any time alignment issues with your mains and subwoofer. That can also make the mains sound harsh because the lower midbass and lower bass from the subwoofer are not in the correct time domain with the tweeters in the mains and the subwoofer.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5805mk2 A V Surround Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page