Is it a bad idea to change out my Emotiva UMC-200 for the Yamaha RX-A1030? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-12-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently running a 5.1 surround system with the following:

Speakers:
Martin Logan 40's in the front, Motion 30 center and Motion 15 in the back

Pre-amp:
Emotiva UMC-200

Amps:
Emotiva XPA-100 (2x - one for each motion 40 speaker)
Emotiva XPA-3 for the center and rears

First let me say that i am 100% pleased with the sound that both the speakers and amps produce. What I am not please with is the HDMI connectivity on the UMC-200 pre amp. It is glitchy quite often and although I have no complaints on the sound when it is working, I do wish there were more features, presets, iPhone controllability, etc.

So i started looking at the Yamaha RX-A1030 which has all the bells and whistles a person like myself could ask for. I love the iPhone apps, listening presets, etc. I was thinking about selling my umc-200 and then purchasing the Yamaha receiver and continue to use my emotiva amps via the yamaha pre-outs.. Does anyone here think that this move would be in any way negative? Will i still have the same volume and sound quality I am experiencing now?

Note: once upon a time i connected my emotiva amps to the Onkyo 818 receiver and I felt there was a huge decline in volume and sound quality when compared with my emotiva UMC-200... not sure why that was - maybe there was a setting that I was missing?

anyways.... any advice or comments are welcome as I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too... but don't want to make a mistake smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-12-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Buy the 1030 from someone with a good return policy and try it out. The only way you can really hear it for yourself in your room to try out. The Yamaha's have a good rep for switching reliability. Crutchfield will let you try it for 60 days. Hard to beat really.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page